Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wls body shamers smh

I applaud this subject. I was worried about surviving weight loss surgery at 260. At that weight I felt like a heart attack about to happen. It was inconceivable allowing myself to get bigger. Losing 100 lbs gets harder, the smaller you are...not easier.

That is so true!!! In the beginning the weight really was flying off like everyone else. But once i hit 180ish i really had to work my ass off for every pound lost afterwards. The second half of the weight loss was a lot slower.

12 minutes ago, xoxococojay said:

That is so true!!! In the beginning the weight really was flying off like everyone else. But once i hit 180ish i really had to work my ass off for every pound lost afterwards. The second half of the weight loss was a lot slower.

Exactly, so someone starting at 400lbs might lose 100 in the first 3-4 months...so from their perspective it sounds easy, right? That could explain the thinking they have, because naturally they’ll assume it is the same for us. And it just isn’t.

I'm in the high 200s but I also understand the mental health issues too I've had issues legit my whole life like I was in therapy at age 5 so yeah I'm doing this now while I'm young so I don't die on the table I already have sleep apnea and diabetes

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

You are right! I was 220 when I had my surgery on 2/12. Besides being obese I had a major heart attack 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 36. I'm in heart failure and need a transplant. At my doctors suggestion for my heart and to be able to qualify for the transplant, I had the WLS. My point being, no one knows others reasoning for choosing surgery and have no right to question why someone else decides to do so. Thanks for posting this. I've struggled with some of the same comments from friends and family members who don't understand all the risks being overweight have.

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

I weigh 246 at 5’2” and have rheumatoid Arthritis. That amount of weight on my joints is extremely painful and coupled with fibromyalgia has made it very difficult to exercise. I have tried every diet under the sun and really feel this is my last option. Being heavy keeps me in severe pain. There is always more to every story than just the BMI. This isn’t an easy way out...we all have to learn a new way of eating and some form of exercise to get us healthy. Getting the surgery is a tool to help us. It makes me sad that anyone would make a blanket assumption and/or judgement without being in that person’s shoes. Good luck to everyone!

That's so crazy. Not wanting people to publish their Before and Afters?? That's insanity! We all have to work hard, no matter where we started. Some of us have to work a little longer, still, but the journey is still hard... there's just no pleasing some people! :blink:

I got it in the lead up to the my surgery during the 6 months of classes I was morbidly obese, but I didn't have any obvious health impairments (much of this class had canes, walkers, rascals). I was told multiple times by folks in the class some variation on "you don't belong here" or "you don't need this." At the end of the day haters gonna hate and you have to let this stuff roll off and do or don't do the surgery because its the best thing for your health.

My deciding moment for surgery May or May Not be the same as yours. That doesn't matter to me as much as the realization "My life has a chance to be better with this surgery than without it. In a choice between life and continual pain until death, I choose life. In a choice between No hope and a tool to regain a better future, I commit myself to a better future. I will not quibble about the struggle for my change of lifestyle, my change of diet, for the benefits outweigh any real or imagined risks. I choose life!"

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 5'2 and as of yesterday weight 227. I decided on the surgery because diets do not work for me. I lose just to gain more back. My legs hurt, I have high blood pressure, severe gurd and honestly just wanna be able to get down in the floor and play with my grandbabies again.
Someone at work had the bypass surgery and people talked about how she took the easy way out and she wasn't big enough for surgery. Etc etc.
That's why I'm not telling anyone.
People are cruel.
I choose life also!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

I told my husband & kids the only reason to tell my husband’s dad that I have had WLS is when I’m dead! I have always felt looked down on by his family for my weight.

Toodles,
Rue

Toodlerue*** are you ready for the only compliment I ever got from my,late father-in-law ? Told me I don't waste too much of the potato when I peel them. 👎👴

My body may end up even smaller than your minds are now😍

@ Toodleroo, are you still around and monitoring us? I miss your postings, you were a good buddy last Spring.

I’m still here! Just been busy & enjoying life 50 pounds lighter! How are you doing?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches