Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wls body shamers smh

I applaud this subject. I was worried about surviving weight loss surgery at 260. At that weight I felt like a heart attack about to happen. It was inconceivable allowing myself to get bigger. Losing 100 lbs gets harder, the smaller you are...not easier.

That is so true!!! In the beginning the weight really was flying off like everyone else. But once i hit 180ish i really had to work my ass off for every pound lost afterwards. The second half of the weight loss was a lot slower.

12 minutes ago, xoxococojay said:

That is so true!!! In the beginning the weight really was flying off like everyone else. But once i hit 180ish i really had to work my ass off for every pound lost afterwards. The second half of the weight loss was a lot slower.

Exactly, so someone starting at 400lbs might lose 100 in the first 3-4 months...so from their perspective it sounds easy, right? That could explain the thinking they have, because naturally they’ll assume it is the same for us. And it just isn’t.

I'm in the high 200s but I also understand the mental health issues too I've had issues legit my whole life like I was in therapy at age 5 so yeah I'm doing this now while I'm young so I don't die on the table I already have sleep apnea and diabetes

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

You are right! I was 220 when I had my surgery on 2/12. Besides being obese I had a major heart attack 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 36. I'm in heart failure and need a transplant. At my doctors suggestion for my heart and to be able to qualify for the transplant, I had the WLS. My point being, no one knows others reasoning for choosing surgery and have no right to question why someone else decides to do so. Thanks for posting this. I've struggled with some of the same comments from friends and family members who don't understand all the risks being overweight have.

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

I weigh 246 at 5’2” and have rheumatoid Arthritis. That amount of weight on my joints is extremely painful and coupled with fibromyalgia has made it very difficult to exercise. I have tried every diet under the sun and really feel this is my last option. Being heavy keeps me in severe pain. There is always more to every story than just the BMI. This isn’t an easy way out...we all have to learn a new way of eating and some form of exercise to get us healthy. Getting the surgery is a tool to help us. It makes me sad that anyone would make a blanket assumption and/or judgement without being in that person’s shoes. Good luck to everyone!

That's so crazy. Not wanting people to publish their Before and Afters?? That's insanity! We all have to work hard, no matter where we started. Some of us have to work a little longer, still, but the journey is still hard... there's just no pleasing some people! :blink:

I got it in the lead up to the my surgery during the 6 months of classes I was morbidly obese, but I didn't have any obvious health impairments (much of this class had canes, walkers, rascals). I was told multiple times by folks in the class some variation on "you don't belong here" or "you don't need this." At the end of the day haters gonna hate and you have to let this stuff roll off and do or don't do the surgery because its the best thing for your health.

My deciding moment for surgery May or May Not be the same as yours. That doesn't matter to me as much as the realization "My life has a chance to be better with this surgery than without it. In a choice between life and continual pain until death, I choose life. In a choice between No hope and a tool to regain a better future, I commit myself to a better future. I will not quibble about the struggle for my change of lifestyle, my change of diet, for the benefits outweigh any real or imagined risks. I choose life!"

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 5'2 and as of yesterday weight 227. I decided on the surgery because diets do not work for me. I lose just to gain more back. My legs hurt, I have high blood pressure, severe gurd and honestly just wanna be able to get down in the floor and play with my grandbabies again.
Someone at work had the bypass surgery and people talked about how she took the easy way out and she wasn't big enough for surgery. Etc etc.
That's why I'm not telling anyone.
People are cruel.
I choose life also!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

I told my husband & kids the only reason to tell my husband’s dad that I have had WLS is when I’m dead! I have always felt looked down on by his family for my weight.

Toodles,
Rue

Toodlerue*** are you ready for the only compliment I ever got from my,late father-in-law ? Told me I don't waste too much of the potato when I peel them. 👎👴

My body may end up even smaller than your minds are now😍

@ Toodleroo, are you still around and monitoring us? I miss your postings, you were a good buddy last Spring.

I’m still here! Just been busy & enjoying life 50 pounds lighter! How are you doing?