Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if I lose too much weight pre-op???

Hi! When I weighed in at my surgical consultation on Oct 13 I was 217lbs (at 5'4"). Everything was sent to insurance today and I just weighed myself and I'm 211 lbs! What if I lose too much weight? Do they weigh me on my operation day? Do they tell insurance? What do I do?

The weight they have for you is the weight they submit to insurance. At least that is what happened with me. I had to be a certain weight pre op before they would do the surgery because my bmi was really high. It all depends on the requirements of your insurance.

In my experience, there's no such thing as losing too much weight before surgery. I wasn't weighed on surgery day either. Good luck!

It depends on your insurance. I couldn't drop below a bmi of 35 or I'd be denied.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Some insurance companies have a requirement where you have to lose a specific amount of weight, some don't care, and some if you lose any at all they deny.

But, I think it is common across the board that when they approve you, you can lose as much as you want from packet weight to surgery day weight. Once the pre-authorize you for the surgery there would be law suits from insureds, surgical groups and hospitals if they reversed their approval. The pre-authorization is all that is needed to schedule and preform the surgery.

They know most surgical groups require a liver shrink diet (I lost 17 lbs in 2 weeks). They also only see that surgical day weight AFTER the surgery, either submitted by a case manager (if they required continued stay reviews) during your stay, or after discharge when billing.

My doc said don’t lose too much.

9 hours ago, JT2002TJ said:

Some insurance companies have a requirement where you have to lose a specific amount of weight, some don't care, and some if you lose any at all they deny.

But, I think it is common across the board that when they approve you, you can lose as much as you want from packet weight to surgery day weight. Once the pre-authorize you for the surgery there would be law suits from insureds, surgical groups and hospitals if they reversed their approval. The pre-authorization is all that is needed to schedule and preform the surgery.

They know most surgical groups require a liver shrink diet (I lost 17 lbs in 2 weeks). They also only see that surgical day weight AFTER the surgery, either submitted by a case manager (if they required continued stay reviews) during your stay, or after discharge when billing.

Can I ask how you lost 17 pound in 2 weeks I need to lose 17 pounds to get my surgery I go to doctor january3rd and I'm doing everything they tell me,and still I'm stuck in doing 2 shakes a day replacing 2 meals 64 oz Water if not more and eating dinner which consist of salad or chicken or fish n veggie I'm so stressed,if you can plz help me.

11 hours ago, Pamela wallace said:

Can I ask how you lost 17 pound in 2 weeks I need to lose 17 pounds to get my surgery I go to doctor january3rd and I'm doing everything they tell me,and still I'm stuck in doing 2 shakes a day replacing 2 meals 64 oz Water if not more and eating dinner which consist of salad or chicken or fish n veggie I'm so stressed,if you can plz help me.

I followed my surgical groups pre-op surgery diet. It was 1,200 calories per day, by doing 7 Premier Protein (Chocolate) per day. I was also allowed about a cup or 2 of beef/chicken broth (I added hot sauce for flavor), and up to 2 sugar free Jello (pre-made jello cups). You can have as much water/crystal light as you want.

There was NO other food, and I did not cheat at all. I lost 17 lbs in those two weeks (297lbs - 280lbs).

Edited by JT2002TJ

I followed my surgical groups pre-op surgery diet. It was 1,200 calories per day, by doing 7 Premier Protein (Chocolate) per day. I was also allowed about a cup or 2 of beef/chicken broth (I added hot sauce for flavor), and up to 2 sugar free Jello (pre-made Jello cups). You can have as much water/crystal light as you want.
There was NO other food, and I did not cheat at all. I lost 17 lbs in those two weeks (297lbs - 280lbs).

Hi! I am currently doing the pre-op diet and I lost 13 pounds the first week. I started my second week about 4 days ago and have lost 1 additional pound. My plan is heavy on Protein Shakes (3-4 per day), 1 sugar-free popsicle, 1 sugar-free jello, plus I can have up to 2 cups of very specific vegetables (list attached). I drink Premier clear Protein fruit punch, Crystal Light, Water, and low-sodium broth as well. I was told to make sure I get at least 90-120 grams of protein per day and 80 ounces or more total of all fluids.

The more you lose the better off you are. Less complications, easier recovery. I lost 20 pounds preop, every bit helps

~*~Sent via BariatricPal mobile app. Join me on my journey at www.curvylogic.com~*~