Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating is not as enjoyable!

So I'm going into my 4th week and starting soft foods, My surgery was nov. 14th so almost a month. I've just started soft food and meat, but as excited as I was to get to this stage I'm a little disappointed in how much I did not care for eating real food. I've gotten so used to Protein Shakes and my own blended shakes I don't really like how real food feels going down. I chew 40 times and eat very slowly and it still hurts sometimes. Maybe due to my hiatal hernia repair. Any one else feel this way post op?

Im 4 weeks out as of today, and started softs about a week ago.

I do find myself craving and looking forward to certain foods (notably beef and pistachio nuts) but Im also in the same boat as you where im not looking forward to or enjoying meals. I havent had any pain or complications from eating so far, but I also dont enjoy spending 25 minutes eating a meal, and taking ridiculously small bites with 1-2 minutes between bites. I dont have the patience for it, and such small bites of food makes it a bit less enjoyable.

I can honestly say I prefer the Protein Shakes, its just easier and not stressful. I dont have to worry about pain getting stuck choking etc etc. I can just drink my shake and move on.

I find myself eating real foods only when I need to address hunger pains. Otherwise im more than content with my shakes.

I suspect in another month maybe 2 when I dont need to eat like an infant (and my options are expanded) I will find eating more enjoyable.

Also I had a decent size hiatal hernia repair and dont have pain so i suspect its not that. It could be food intolerances or selection thats your problem. Especially if you are chewing and going slow appropriately.

Edited by Mhy12784

So I'm going into my 4th week and starting soft foods, My surgery was nov. 14th so almost a month. I've just started soft food and meat, but as excited as I was to get to this stage I'm a little disappointed in how much I did not care for eating real food. I've gotten so used to Protein Shakes and my own blended shakes I don't really like how real food feels going down. I chew 40 times and eat very slowly and it still hurts sometimes. Maybe due to my hiatal hernia repair. Any one else feel this way post op?

Im 6 weeks out and hate eating now. I think im hungry and then after 3 bites i start hurting which i guess is me feeling full. It doesnt matter what food it is either. How in the world will I ever reach my Protein goals?! I also have a hard time with the shakes. The milk based ones are hard for me to drink and ive kinda developed an aversion. Im just adding Protein Powder to flavored water drinks. I forgot to mention that im fighting an h pylori stomach infection and hope that this is what part of the problem and my severe gerd stems from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Dear ladies, I am 8 years post op and I hate to tell you that while Yes, eating may not be enjoyable now but you know what will be??? That day when you look in the mirror at your new, thin, sexy body and realize that the "comfort/satisfaction you once felt from food, is what ultimately made you fat in the first place. Remember that old saying, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin.."?? Well, you just wait my pretty ladies...you soon will enjoy that feeling and forget that miserable obession with how food USED to make you feel. I learned very early after my surgery that I would never be able to enjoy or indulge in foods the way I used too, so I had to change the way they were intertwined in my new life. I became a Chef!!! I could still get all the tactile satisfaction from shopping for it, prepping it, cooking it etc...but I knew that I would never be able to eat in the amounts I once could. I just had to alter my relationship with food. It's still in my life, always will be but in a more positive, healthy and satisfying manner. Right now and probably for the first year or two....your brain is still rewiring to why it isn't getting it's fix the way it used to but...it will pass. I promise and you'll love the feeling that your new body gives you. It's truly a rebirth! Trust in the process.

1 hour ago, WV_Chef said:

That day when you look in the mirror at your new, thin, sexy body

Ultimately not many WLS patients will achieve a "new, thin, sexy body".

Yeah, maybe with plastics and when young enough the body will look decent enough. Anyway I personally like being able to enjoy both food and a body that looks normal when not naked.

"Normal" when naked?? What constitutes "normal" nowadays?? Many naysayers still give us WLS people a hard time saying we took the "easy way out". We all know it is anything but easy. With hard work, dedication and a positive mindset, these ladies will acheive what they set out to do. I have faith in them.