Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you go back to work after weight loss surgery?

Hello! I am starting the process with gastric sleeve on Wednesday, but my insurance requires 3 months of supervised dieting, so I am looking at March or April for surgery (providing there are no hiccups). I teach at home for a virtual high school, so I am wondering how long I will need to be off of work. Ideally, I would love to have the surgery later in the week and go back to work on Monday. I teach Seniors and I am the only one in my school that is certified to teach the courses that I teach (AP). I love my kiddos too, it will be good for me to get back to working with them. When I had my knee replacement, I was back within 2 weeks, but like I said, I work from home and I was 36, so it was an easier recovery than others. I just roll out of bed and log in.

So, how long before you went back, and if you were working in a position like mine, do you think you could have went back more quickly? I can take off much longer if I want, my school gives us an enormous amount of time each year, which is odd for a virtual position. Haha, nobody ever uses it because we actually enjoy our job.

I have wondered about the same question. I work in a petrochemical plant and while I am mostly at a desk, my job has the potential to be very physical. For that reason, I'm planning on taking off 3 weeks and seeing how I feel.

How long are your work days, and do you get frequent breaks? I see a lot of people talk about being very drained the first week, so you may want to give yourself at least that amount of time. Of course others go back after just a few days.

My surgeon told me at least one week off...but I you have a job that requires you to life more than 10 pounds then you need to take 4-6 weeks off.

I can take breaks anytime I want, except I do have three weeks in the spring when I have to drive in to help give state tests. When I have the surgery will all depend on how long it takes insurance to approve and how long it takes to schedule the surgery. I really hope for late March or early April, but May is no good. If I have to wait, I will schedule over the summer.

Thank you for your responses...all of this helps a ton! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

It's tough to say for certain because everyone is going to heal differently. I had complications a few days after surgery so that slowed my recovery down. In total I was off of work for 2 1/2 weeks but 3 would have definitely helped. My doctor wanted me off 4 weeks but simply couldn't do it financially. I have a desk job as well so it wasn't so bad coming back. I wasn't in any pain at that time but still felt completely exhausted most days. For many that's going to be the struggle.

You also want to keep in mind that a big part for taking time off is to stay focused on getting your fluids and Protein in. It is easy to get distracted and not keep up. If you're like me where it was a struggle to get fluids down you can fall behind quickly, and trying to get "caught up" is not as easy as it sounds.

Lot of people on here went back after a few days. Others took the entire month off. Sorry that there really is no right answer for this. If they have the flexibility I would ask for 2 weeks minimum and a max of 4. Hopefully they'd let you come back after 3 weeks if you feel up to it.

Edited by orionburn

I took three weeks and I personally needed every bit of it. Everyone is different though so it's hard to tell. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :) Best of luck.

I had no pain (other than surgical site pain) or nausea. I took 2 weeks off, but was board out of my mind after one week. I am a computer programmer, and work 40 miles from home (driving), I EASILY could have gone back to work within one week.

I would say, since you are at home, and can take breaks, I would plan on 2 weeks, and be happy if you can get back earlier. Everyone is different, but not everyone works from home.

I work in an office, I was given 2 weeks off, and to be honest I could have gone back after a few days.

Everyone is different and the type of work you do would make a huge difference.

I took 2 weeks but could have gone back after one. I never had any pain or nausea, but I was pretty tired and crabby (liquid diet is a b***h) and didn't want to do much. By the end of 2 weeks I was SO ready to be back at work.

I had surgery on a Friday and was back to work the next Thursday. I am a vet tech so my work consists of 10+ hour days on my feet, bending, squatting, lifting, etc. I was up shopping and sightseeing days 1 and 2 postop, traveled via plane and car days 3 and 4 and was grocery shopping, getting my hair cut and plowing my driveway day 5. So if I was working from home I probably could have gone back within 1-2 days.

My surgery is on a Friday and I'm going back to work on Tuesday. I have a desk job, so hopefully I will feel well enough.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, TexasMommy80 said:

Hello! I am starting the process with gastric sleeve on Wednesday, but my insurance requires 3 months of supervised dieting, so I am looking at March or April for surgery (providing there are no hiccups). I teach at home for a virtual high school, so I am wondering how long I will need to be off of work. Ideally, I would love to have the surgery later in the week and go back to work on Monday. I teach Seniors and I am the only one in my school that is certified to teach the courses that I teach (AP). I love my kiddos too, it will be good for me to get back to working with them. When I had my knee replacement, I was back within 2 weeks, but like I said, I work from home and I was 36, so it was an easier recovery than others. I just roll out of bed and log in.

So, how long before you went back, and if you were working in a position like mine, do you think you could have went back more quickly? I can take off much longer if I want, my school gives us an enormous amount of time each year, which is odd for a virtual position. Haha, nobody ever uses it because we actually enjoy our job. emoji16.png

Hi! I am scheduled for surgery on December 27th, so I don't know when I will be going back to work but here is what I do know from the three awesome folks that I work with that are sleevers.

1st lady took 3 weeks off. Just because she could. Said she felt fantastic within a couple days.

2nd lady took 1 week and was fine.

3rd lady had surgery on a Friday, home on Saturday, work on Monday. (We sit at computers all day so probably safer at work than all the temptations of lifting at home!).

I was like the 3rd lady with both my gall bladder and my appendectomy. I honestly only felt like I had done 150 situps lol. Other than a little soreness at incision... I had no issue with those. My surgeon expects that I will rebound the same.

I also follow directions well. I walked and walked and had no issues with the gas with the other surgeries.

Each person is different of course. I have a high tolerance for pain.

Hi! I am scheduled for surgery on December 27th, so I don't know when I will be going back to work but here is what I do know from the three awesome folks that I work with that are sleevers.
1st lady took 3 weeks off. Just because she could. Said she felt fantastic within a couple days.
2nd lady took 1 week and was fine.
3rd lady had surgery on a Friday, home on Saturday, work on Monday. (We sit at computers all day so probably safer at work than all the temptations of lifting at home!).
I was like the 3rd lady with both my gall bladder and my appendectomy. I honestly only felt like I had done 150 situps lol. Other than a little soreness at incision... I had no issue with those. My surgeon expects that I will rebound the same.
I also follow directions well. I walked and walked and had no issues with the gas with the other surgeries.
Each person is different of course. I have a high tolerance for pain.

Haha I actually just found out that I need my gallbladder out so that will be happening in the next two weeks. I will use that to gauge how I feel. [emoji3]

Just now, TexasMommy80 said:

Haha I actually just found out that I need my gallbladder out so that will be happening in the next two weeks. I will use that to gauge how I feel.

I was really loopy from the anesthesia and stood staring at postcards for probably 10 minutes at CVS afterward before my mother was able to guide me to the pharmacy! LOL. It wasn't bad at all for me. My surgeon said that the incisions and pain are usually pretty similar with the two surgeries.