Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had Surgery Tuesday, figured I'd document a little for folks with upcoming surgery

Congratulations. ;-):rolleyes:B):lol::rolleyes::P:)

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

Surgery Tuesday, document for folks with upcoming surgery

@Creekimp13

keeping records are great.

you are ACES!!!!

if you never blogged, it's never too late. start pre-op - post op any time after

surgery.

NOT keeping a record of my pre and post op surgery was a big regret for me.

i wish i had kept a blog of all my good, bad, and normal experiences for myself.

how my eating, drinking - stuff like that went. records of all my NSV's - (clothing

shoes sizes, changes, riding in an airplane, reactions from OP seeing me for the first

time since i lost weight) .many other things too - many many daily events -

hard to remember, wish i had kept records.

to you my friend - you & other people - you are all definitely "smart cookies":rolleyes:

no calories/carbs/sugar included. :lol:

glad things are moving along well.

i know you will continue to do great.

kathy

congrats

Congratulations and great job!

Thanks so much for the glimpse into your journey!!! So happy surgery went well and you're doing so great! You're a rock star. Can't wait to hear more of your recovery and journey! I agree with Kathy, you should blog!! ((hugs))

14 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I was the first surgery on Tuesday with my group, so with an arrival time of 5:30, I was up at 4am.

Got there and it all went very smoothly. They wanted a little last minute blood, they wanted a pregnancy pee test, then on to pre-surgery where I got a couple of shots and an IV catheter in my forearm. Everyone wants to know your name and birthdate...lol.

Had already taken the Emend pill for anti-nausea. Was given an antinausea patch behind my ear, and a motion sickness med. Also, a med for preventing blood clots.

Surgery went well. Woke up and learned that I'd had a small hiatal hernia that my doc tightened up to help prevent acid reflux.

Surgery was 7:30-9:30. I spent 9:30-12:30 in recovery. Was ready to leave at around 11, but there was a little delay getting my room ready. Got a few ice chips in recovery.

Around 12:30, I was wheeled up to my room. The pain from the surgical sites wasn't bad. The trapped gas, particularly in my shoulders, hurt like the dickens, though. Miserable feeling, but tolerable.

As soon as I got to my room, I asked to go to the bathroom. Got up without any problem, took myself to the toilet. (nurse did stand outside the door at first). Got out and said that standing upright made my gas pain feel much better, so asked if I could walk. Nurses seemed very enthusiastic about my willingness to walk and took me for a walk. I did a couple laps of the ward and wanted to sit down again.

So, then, I was given a little one ounce cup of Water to drink slow. Got some pain meds, some more anti nausea meds, some meds to encourage my guts to keep moving.

I drank my little one ounce cup without any issues for a couple hours in a row and they advanced me to drinking FOUR little one ounce cups per hour, and sucking on this plastic breathing thing ten times an hour. After a bit, they helped me put an order in to food service for some broth, Jello, and other Clear Liquids.

But here's the routine I had to follow (and am still following today)

10 sucks on the breathing thingy per hour, One or two small walks per hour. Four ounces of clear liquid per hour....drinking one ounce every 15 minutes in 10 little sips.

Yesterday at 6pm, they sent me home, and I've been doing the same schedule. Tomorrow, I'll alternate hours, and do 4 ounces of Protein Drink, then four ounces of clear fluid...alternating like this for at least 10 hours of the day. The goal is at least 40 ounces of Fluid per day.

I'll remain on Protein drink and clear fluids until my recheck a week from surgery. At that point, if all is well, I get cream of wheat, yogurt, pudding, and oat meal back in the rotation.

The toughest thing for me has been getting comfortable in bed. I'm a side sleeper and it's kinda painful...but wedging enough pillows around me helps. Also, I have a little narcotic medication in liquid form for home, that so far, I have only had to take at night.

Am feeling pretty good today! Still pooped, but getting my walks in.

One funny thing....they loaded me up so much with IV fluids that I actually gained about four pounds while away having surgery! All those swollen tissues must be holding a lot of Water. I was told this is very common and not to worry about it. Could also be a function of them taking me off my diuretic for a while until fluids get easier to swallow in bigger volumes.

Anyway...I'm doing great and wanted everyone to know the sleeve isn't that bad. The hardest part for me is all the meticulous measuring and making sure all my little recovery jobs are getting done. Walk, sip, suck. Rinse, repeat.

Good luck to everyone on a safe and effective outcome!

I had mine on Tuesday too, feeling ok, so far. But my incisions itch....ugh.

thank you so much for all the great info!!! Hoping for your speedy recovery!!! Welcome to your new life!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Awesome! thank you for taking the time to post up this info. My date is next Tuesday and I can only wish I post such a glowing report.

Jade, my incisions itch today, too:) Par for the course...the healing itch.