Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intro time: who's new to the group, who's pre-op, & who just recently made it to the loser's bench?

Do you have diabetes or GERD? Those 2 conditions your doctor will suggest a RnY, in the long run you'll lose a tad more with RnY(which is another name for gastric bypass). I think on Bariatric Pal there are a few more sleevers than bypasses but it's like 53% to 47% by my guess so really pretty even, I could tell you my reasons for RnY but it truly is a decision for you and your doctor to make. Sometimes it relies on your age as well as other conditions. He/She will know more of your physical condition and other factors than I do. I'll make you a promise, I'll tell you what made my decision but let's let some other people weigh in, then if you want still to hear, I'll tell you, okay? At any rate welcome and we're here to answer any other questions you may have.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 64 years old and use a pump daily to administer insulin. I have been a Type 2 diabetic for ten years. My sister, age 61 got the sleeve, but she has had the disease for a shorter period and does not use insulin. My doctor and I decided on the Rny...

Well I told Panda I'd tell, I'm 72 years old, I am the adult child of 2 diabetics, no diabetes but I'm probably a ticking time bomb to develop. I have moderate to severe GERD, gastritis and Hector, my baby ulcer, who decided to show up after prolonged NSAID use, I was taking 3-4 at a time because of arthritis pain. I have been arthritic since I was 25. I've had 2 knee replacements and probably need more joints replaced. I have a BMI of 47, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I also have sleep Apnea, it runs in my family and my weight isn't helping either. I want the quicker weight loss of RnY, I don't mind the rerouting of my intestines as much as the thought of losing 3/4 of my stomach forever. God made me and would rather not lose more of my anatomy to some pathologist's jar. I know all the limitations I will encounter but they frighten me less than the thought of not having surgery, shortening what years I have left until all my organs fail and I die. Rough truths but valid. And those are most of my reasons.

Im somewhat new to this, currently awaiting my pre op appt. Did all my pre req testing, groups, etc. So tomorrow i believe is to go over results. Unfortunately im waiting on a biopsy result from edg, two weeks to wait on that, was hoping to have all the tests done by tomorrow. Oh well excited either way

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello,

my name is Sarah and I completed all the steps that are required to get bariatric surgery(psych evaluation, classes, nutritionists) and my surgery is scheduled for March 12, 2018. One problem... I’m having some major second thoughts and fears... I’ve been overweight my whole life and have been 300+pounds my whole adult life. As of right now my family is against it but they don’t know how it feels to feel trapped in this body. I think the overall fear I’m having is just going under the knife that’s my biggest fear. As of right now I’ve been hitting the gym 5 to 6 nights a week since January of this year and lost 15 pounds but I’ve tried pretty much every diet out there with no significant results. My doctor who is doing the surgery said I have a possible 2% chance of losing weight the conventional way and keeping it off. My insurance is good but a possible career change very soon may mean this is my only chance to do this surgery. I just need advice I’m just scared about surgery....

Hello,
my name is Sarah and I completed all the steps that are required to get bariatric surgery(psych evaluation, classes, nutritionists) and my surgery is scheduled for March 12, 2018. One problem... I’m having some major second thoughts and fears... I’ve been overweight my whole life and have been 300+pounds my whole adult life. As of right now my family is against it but they don’t know how it feels to feel trapped in this body. I think the overall fear I’m having is just going under the knife that’s my biggest fear. As of right now I’ve been hitting the gym 5 to 6 nights a week since January of this year and lost 15 pounds but I’ve tried pretty much every diet out there with no significant results. My doctor who is doing the surgery said I have a possible 2% chance of losing weight the conventional way and keeping it off. My insurance is good but a possible career change very soon may mean this is my only chance to do this surgery. I just need advice I’m just scared about surgery....

You need to do it for yourself, like you said. Nobody knows how it feels to be in our shoes, only you know the struggles, the feelings you have are normal, to be scared , hell im scared too but im excited, excited for a change. To feel better, to be healthy, to do things havent been able to do in years. At the end of the day, this isnt a short cut, its a tool for us to use, your making the right choice for yourself, these surgeries are done by trained professionals with your health in mind. Youve taken the steps for a reason, dont stall keep pushing forward for You!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, karmanodrama said:

Hi I am just waiting on insurance clearance and then can set my date for vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Surgeon said that he would try to get me on March schedule. It will be so nice to have buddies going through this!!!

I am waiting on my clearance as well but they really don't see any issues so they gave me a date and having that date makes it so real. Once you get that I swear your life changes right then and there. I hope you get to join the March losers club as well :) What make you choose the sleeve rather than RNY just curious? I was originally going for the sleeve when I first went to see a surgeon about 2 years ago but talked myself out of it. And now that I am following through after I found the perfect surgeon for me I choose the RNY with him help of course.

7 hours ago, frust8 said:

Well I told Panda I'd tell, I'm 72 years old, I am the adult child of 2 diabetics, no diabetes but I'm probably a ticking time bomb to develop. I have moderate to severe GERD, gastritis and Hector, my baby ulcer, who decided to show up after prolonged NSAID use, I was taking 3-4 at a time because of arthritis pain. I have been arthritic since I was 25. I've had 2 knee replacements and probably need more joints replaced. I have a BMI of 47, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I also have sleep Apnea, it runs in my family and my weight isn't helping either. I want the quicker weight loss of RnY, I don't mind the rerouting of my intestines as much as the thought of losing 3/4 of my stomach forever. God made me and would rather not lose more of my anatomy to some pathologist's jar. I know all the limitations I will encounter but they frighten me less than the thought of not having surgery, shortening what years I have left until all my organs fail and I die. Rough truths but valid. And those are most of my reasons.

I am 64 and have the same morbidity issues. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

I am in the pre-op group. I had my initial appointment with the surgeon last week and my first weigh in towards my 6 month supervised diet today. I have a long way to go but I am just happy that our insurance changed and now the gastric bypass will be covered.

I have been lurking for about 2 months and this is my first post.

37 y/o married mom of 2 and ready change my life.

I found a surgeon, I am cash pay, so things are moving as fast or slow as I want them to. I had my initial consultation and was in shock for about a month before I decided to get my but in gear and get all of my pre testing done. I had my psych eval done Friday, my cardiology/stress test yesterday, and the upper GI this morning. I just have to schedule my blood work and then get this show on the road.

Excited to share my journey with all of you.

Well welcome @TXPyrpMom. We all hope you'll love us, enjoy us and hang around for a good long time. Even if you're self pay you're welcome to stay for after surgery and a good long time. Let us know your surgery date, those of us who are believers will pray for you and those who aren't, well they will still wish you well. Do your little sticks of dynamite, well you said you're a PyroMom, know that Mommy is having tummy surgery and might have an Owwee for a while? Good to hear you have everything planned, your plans are in place and you're ready to move forward.

I have my first appointment on March 20th. I was shaking when I got off the phone with the drs office. I'm nervous and excited. I have to do the six month prep work before getting approved, but I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary. I've lost weight (up to 135lbs) several times in the past but I feel like I need to add this to my set of "tools" to lose and keep it off. I have two young boys and I want to be around and active for them. My mom was severely overweight while I was growing up and has chronic, drastic medical issues nowadays... I do not want to make my husband and kids go through the same thing me and my dad and brother did. They deserve a present, available, and active mommy.

Hi all, I am Gerry from Edinburgh, Scotland.

Just finally got my date through for my first consultation with the bariatric team, 18 months after being referred by my family Doc.

Excited and scared Sh*tless in equal measure to be starting out on this journey, but I am only 38 years old, with type 2 diabetes and High blood pressure, so hopefully this will be the first step in improving and prolonging my life.