Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Prepared For Those Post-Op weeks:

A friend going in for weight loss surgery tomorrow just asked me this question: “Do you have any advice for me? ”

This was my response and I hope it helps others too, although this was just my own experience & others experiences would be terrific as well!💕...

Hi!😃 I remember feeling like surgery day would never come too! It’s the first day of a steadily better life!!👏🏼👏🏼

Advice, well I suppose first off, DO NOT forget to ask for something for calming/ anxiety when they start getting you ready for surgery. With me I was excited & feeling great til I got called back & then got strangely flooded with fear & emotions about being put under (for the first time) & really needed something. I was even crying a little but they never offered anything, so I asked. That was all I needed to relax again. 👌🏻

The other thing I’de say to definitely prepare for is the MENTAL ASPECT. Prepare now, and just know that the first weeks are the hardest (the first 4 weeks for me). This new postop time is difficult. For some, there is a bit more pain, but most of us have none👏🏼👏🏼. Other complications may occur too, but know now, it WILL BE SO WORTH IT!

The most common issues (for me) however, were...EATING very differently, which can even lead to a bit of depression with some people. (I‘de say don’t even bother to try to sit down with your family for 3-4 weeks at dinner time). Also prepare for unusually smelly GAS, unusually smelly BREATH, many unusually smelly trips to the BATHROOM (w/ chronic liquidy DIARRHEA for me, 2 weeks of that followed by chronic Constipation for 2 weeks. It was not drinking enough Water in my case, but again that was just me). For many it’s just constipation though. Lastly, prepare to sleep ALOT. Do not try to return to work til week 4-5 if possible (perhaps using FMLA if possible..?) You’ll be really tired or about this long.

That being said, just know, those were what stood out to me, hence my own personal experience & advice. I know many others have more great tips to watch out for too.

HOWEVER, I do want to say, everything will PRETTY MUCH go back to normal by about week 5-6, maybe sooner (except eating large amounts). Again, that was just my experience however, and certainly changes some person to person.

Everything is back to normal for me and I’m feeling fantastic in every way. I felt that way since about week 5 actually, but even BETTER EVERY WEEK! I’m at week 7 post op & feel terrific.😃

I knew everything would pretty much return to normal because my mom, dad & sister had RNY surgery years ago & I went along for their journey. But many don’t know & can get really depressed. I did not since I was prepared for those first several weeks. I knew it would all pass & I knew that my job now, was to eat my Vitamins, drink that Protein , Water, sleep & simply be smelly!😂 😂🤣

It all went away for me-including the intense fatigue. Its pretty wonderful starting somewhere between weeks 4-6. I espesially love NOT having that smelliness come out of me anymore!👏🏼👏🏼😂

Oh by the way, if your spouse sleeps with you, you may want to ask them to please make themselves a pad in the guest room, basement or couch for these first weeks- the smelly gas for me was ALL the time & just awful!!😬🤓 the smell is just so different post op!😱 My hubby went to our guest room prior to my surg due to his snoring & it saved me post op humiliation since he was still sleeping elsewhere!😄😁😆

I hope this helps some dear soul out there who stumbles upon it! It’s going to get better sweetheart!!!🙏🏼

Hugs!💕❤️ jennifer

**This is not meant to be an all inclusive list of post op issues, it was just one persons experience as reinerated several times, please bear this in mind dear readers💕**

Edited by RNY-Fall-2017

I'm especially worried about smelly breath! I periodically get reasonably bad post nasal drip, which causes it's own bad breath. (Hello, right now is awful!) At least right now I can chew gum, suck on mints, etc. What can I do after surgery to help with the bad breath?

The rest...well...I'll learn to be stinky for however long it takes. :o

10 hours ago, Subaru said:

I'm especially worried about smelly breath! I periodically get reasonably bad post nasal drip, which causes it's own bad breath. (Hello, right now is awful!) At least right now I can chew gum, suck on mints, etc. What can I do after surgery to help with the bad breath?

The rest...well...I'll learn to be stinky for however long it takes. :o

At my 2 wk post op visit, I asked my surgeon about the bad breath & he said mints were fine & gum was ok too as long as it was sugar free GUM! 😃 I’ve been chewing it since he gave me the okay & it’s saved me!👌🏼

Edited by RNY-Fall-2017

12 hours ago, RNY-Fall-2017 said:

At my 2 wk post op visit, I asked my surgeon about the bad breath & he said mints were fine & gum was ok too as long as it was sugar free GUM! 😃 I’ve been chewing it since he gave me the okay & it’s saved me!👌🏼

Another addition to my "questions for the doctor" notes!

A friend going in for weight loss surgery tomorrow just asked me this question: “Do you have any advice for me? ”
This was my response and I hope it helps others too, although this was just my own experience & others experiences would be terrific as well!...
Hi! I remember feeling like surgery day would never come too! It’s the first day of a steadily better life!!
Advice, well I suppose first off, DO NOT forget to ask for something for calming/ anxiety when they start getting you ready for surgery. With me I was excited & feeling great til I got called back & then got strangely flooded with fear & emotions about being put under (for the first time) & really needed something. I was even crying a little but they never offered anything, so I asked. That was all I needed to relax again.
The other thing I’de say to definitely prepare for is the MENTAL ASPECT. Prepare now, and just know that the first weeks are the hardest (the first 4 weeks for me). This new postop time is difficult. For some, there is a bit more pain, but most of us have none. Other complications may occur too, but know now, it WILL BE SO WORTH IT!
The most common issues (for me) however, were...EATING very differently, which can even lead to a bit of depression with some people. (I‘de say don’t even bother to try to sit down with your family for 3-4 weeks at dinner time). Also prepare for unusually smelly GAS, unusually smelly BREATH, many unusually smelly trips to the BATHROOM (w/ chronic liquidy DIARRHEA for me, 2 weeks of that followed by chronic Constipation for 2 weeks. It was not drinking enough Water in my case, but again that was just me). For many it’s just constipation though. Lastly, prepare to sleep ALOT. Do not try to return to work til week 4-5 if possible (perhaps using FMLA if possible..?) You’ll be really tired or about this long.
That being said, just know, those were what stood out to me, hence my own personal experience & advice. I know many others have more great tips to watch out for too.
HOWEVER, I do want to say, everything will PRETTY MUCH go back to normal by about week 5-6, maybe sooner (except eating large amounts). Again, that was just my experience however, and certainly changes some person to person.
Everything is back to normal for me and I’m feeling fantastic in every way. I felt that way since about week 5 actually, but even BETTER EVERY WEEK! I’m at week 7 post op & feel terrific.
I knew everything would pretty much return to normal because my mom, dad & sister had RNY surgery years ago & I went along for their journey. But many don’t know & can get really depressed. I did not since I was prepared for those first several weeks. I knew it would all pass & I knew that my job now, was to eat my Vitamins, drink that Protein , Water, sleep & simply be smelly! 🤣
It all went away for me-including the intense fatigue. Its pretty wonderful starting somewhere between weeks 4-6. I espesially love NOT having that smelliness come out of me anymore!
Oh by the way, if your spouse sleeps with you, you may want to ask them to please make themselves a pad in the guest room, basement or couch for these first weeks- the smelly gas for me was ALL the time & just awful!! the smell is just so different post op! My hubby went to our guest room prior to my surg due to his snoring & it saved me post op humiliation since he was still sleeping elsewhere!
I hope this helps some dear soul out there who stumbles upon it! It’s going to get better sweetheart!!!
Hugs!️ jennifer
**This is not meant to be an all inclusive list of post op issues, it was just one persons experience as reinerated several times, please bear this in mind dear readers**

Thank you so much for sharing this

1 hour ago, ewilliams4491 said:

Oh your welcome! I hope it helped in even some small way💕

I see your surgery is DEC 13th! Only about a week away then, WOO HOO girl! I’ll be following your progress as you feel up to posting. Congrats on coming so far in your journey!👏🏼👏🏼 Many Warm Hugs!! ❤️ Jennifer

Great post girlie! You go hon. It's a terrific list and I'm sure your friend will find it so helpful! I know I do. Thanks for taking your time to write it!

I love the part about knowing now, upfront, that there will be a hard roe to hoe with the post surgery recovery. Knowing that helps set up proper/realistic expectations and knowing there is an endpoint to the suffering, also defines the expectation.

It's like for me, learning new things is really tough--especially when it comes to technology. So I know upfront that software updates or learning new design programs will carry serious suckage. But, if I persevere and keep pushing and learning, eventually the stuff becomes ingrained. The learning curve steepness levels out and things go back to feeling "normal." :D

I'm just continuing to remind myself, "Possible rock slide ahead." :D

14 hours ago, ewilliams4491 said:

On 12/5/2017 at 9:39 AM, RNY-Fall-2017 said:

This was my response and I hope it helps others too, although this was just my own experience & others experiences would be terrific as well!💕...

Hi!😃 I remember feeling like surgery day would never come too! It’s the first day of a steadily better life!!👏🏼👏🏼

Advice, well I suppose first off, DO NOT forget to ask for something for calming/ anxiety when they start getting you ready for surgery. With me I was excited & feeling great til I got called back & then got strangely flooded with fear & emotions about being put under (for the first time) & really needed something. I was even crying a little but they never offered anything, so I asked. That was all I needed to relax again. 👌🏻

The other thing I’de say to definitely prepare for is the MENTAL ASPECT. Prepare now, and just know that the first weeks are the hardest (the first 4 weeks for me). This new postop time is difficult. For some, there is a bit more pain, but most of us have none👏🏼👏🏼. Other complications may occur too, but know now, it WILL BE SO WORTH IT!

Everything is back to normal for me and I’m feeling fantastic in every way. I felt that way since about week 5 actually, but even BETTER EVERY WEEK! I’m at week 7 post op & feel terrific.😃

I knew everything would pretty much return to normal because my mom, dad & sister had RNY surgery years ago & I went along for their journey. But many don’t know & can get really depressed. I did not since I was prepared for those first several weeks. I knew it would all pass & I knew that my job now, was to eat my Vitamins, drink that Protein , Water, sleep & simply be smelly!😂 😂🤣

It all went away for me-including the intense fatigue. Its pretty wonderful starting somewhere between weeks 4-6. I espesially love NOT having that smelliness come out of me anymore!👏🏼👏🏼😂

Oh by the way, if your spouse sleeps with you, you may want to ask them to please make themselves a pad in the guest room, basement or couch for these first weeks- the smelly gas for me was ALL the time & just awful!!😬🤓 the smell is just so different post op!😱 My hubby went to our guest room prior to my surg due to his snoring & it saved me post op humiliation since he was still sleeping elsewhere!😄😁😆

I hope this helps some dear soul out there who stumbles upon it! It’s going to get better sweetheart!!!🙏🏼

Hugs!💕❤️ jennifer

**This is not meant to be an all inclusive list of post op issues, it was just one persons experience as reinerated several times, please bear this in mind dear readers💕**

Thank you sooo much for sharing this. I am ridiculously nervous and want to get it started. I am hopeful to have a good recovery like you did. This post is so helpful. Thank you and keep up the great work.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:01 AM, FluffyChix said:

Great post girlie! You go hon. It's a terrific list and I'm sure your friend will find it so helpful! I know I do. Thanks for taking your time to write it!

Thank you!! If it helps someone even in a small way I’m so happy to share!!💕❤️ I remember reading sooo many posts in forums before my surgery date & its beeen so hopeful to me! Now I continue reading posts about others’ post op concerns & it’s amazingly helpful! Love this forum where we can ask & share at such vulnerable times & get needed support!!🙏🏼 Hugs!! Jen

On 12/7/2017 at 7:33 PM, SampTheChamp said:

Thank you sooo much for sharing this. I am ridiculously nervous and want to get it started. I am hopeful to have a good recovery like you did. This post is so helpful. Thank you and keep up the great work.

I am with you bro! I was so nervous too! Ahh!!😱 but it goes by like a blink of an eye & you’ll never soooo HAPPPYYYYY!!! Like me!! Happy happy happy you did it!!!😃👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

It’s esp fun when you start to get compliments & even if you can’t tell a difference others sure will! Keep looking forward to your future & make a few goals to keep you going!! It’s a fun process to see the weight start melting off!! Many Hugs!💕 Jennifer❤️

On 12/7/2017 at 9:48 PM, KimTriesRNY said:

Thanks for this. These last few days post op have been difficult and this cheered me up a bit for some reason. :wacko:

YOUR WELCOME Kim!🙏🏼💕 We’re sisters now! Got to the other side! Woo hoo!!😃👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 I’m sooo happy you did it!

I’m so sorry you’ve been feeling bad. The first 2 weeks we’re the very hardest & the next two are easier👌🏼 Really! It’s most difficult I think when your mostly doing sludgy liquids ALL THE TIME those first couple post op weeks🤤. I found sleeping every second I could made the time go by quicker and esp made me feel much better. Are you able to get help at home in order to sleep well? That makes a tough situation whole lot easier for sure.😴😴

I hope you feel better soon sis! We’re all rooting for ya Kim!!!👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼😃

Hugs💕❤️jen

Edited by RNY-Fall-2017

1 hour ago, RNY-Fall-2017 said:

YOUR WELCOME Kim!🙏🏼💕 We’re sisters now! Got to the other side! Woo hoo!!😃👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 I’m sooo happy you did it!

I’m so sorry you’ve been feeling bad. The first 2 weeks we’re the very hardest & the next two are easier👌🏼 Really! It’s most difficult I think when your mostly doing sludgy liquids ALL THE TIME those first couple post op weeks🤤. I found sleeping every second I could made the time go by quicker and esp made me feel much better. Are you able to get help at home in order to sleep well? That makes a tough situation whole lot easier for sure.😴😴

I hope you feel better soon sis! We’re all rooting for ya Kim!!!👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼😃

Hugs💕❤️jen

I’m doing so much better today. I’m post op day 8. I’m able to sleep on my side some now. Every day I hurt a bit less and get more range of motion back.

Tomorrow I go back on full liquids and I can’t wait to eat a damn yogurt and some Soup. I’m getting better bit by bit and it helps to read the posts of those that came before and have been through it.

Thanks again. :blush:

11 hours ago, RNY-Fall-2017 said:

I am with you bro! I was so nervous too! Ahh!!😱 but it goes by like a blink of an eye & you’ll never soooo HAPPPYYYYY!!! Like me!! Happy happy happy you did it!!!😃👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

It’s esp fun when you start to get compliments & even if you can’t tell a difference others sure will! Keep looking forward to your future & make a few goals to keep you going!! It’s a fun process to see the weight start melting off!! Many Hugs!💕 Jennifer❤️

You ROCK!!!! Thank you!!!