Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG Progress Updates For Accountability

Wow Tex I am now feeling more excited than ever to get this done. It is really starting to feel real now. It sounds like for you the procedure put that darn hunger hormone, gherlin, at bay. That is fabulous. For some who have had this procedure and posted their experience it seems that the actual physical restriction was the result but you got in my opinion a better result in the decrease in hunger hormonally.

Actually, I would like both please if that’s possible! In any case I guess it boils down to so many factors that I’ll just have to do this and find out what result I’ll get.

I’d love it if any of you all could list for me important things to remember to do preop in case my doc doesn’t cover them. Also, could you please give me an idea of what you drank the day of and one week after the procedure? What did you like and what did you absolutely hate? I’ll probably ask about your diet after one week but I want to do this one step at a time. So I will start with only the first week.

Thanks to all again. Any good pointers would be much appreciated.

24 minutes ago, hope4momof4 said:

Wow Tex I am now feeling more excited than ever to get this done. It is really starting to feel real now. It sounds like for you the procedure put that darn hunger hormone, gherlin, at bay. That is fabulous. For some who have had this procedure and posted their experience it seems that the actual physical restriction was the result but you got in my opinion a better result in the decrease in hunger hormonally.

Actually, I would like both please if that’s possible! In any case I guess it boils down to so many factors that I’ll just have to do this and find out what result I’ll get.

I’d love it if any of you all could list for me important things to remember to do preop in case my doc doesn’t cover them. Also, could you please give me an idea of what you drank the day of and one week after the procedure? What did you like and what did you absolutely hate? I’ll probably ask about your diet after one week but I want to do this one step at a time. So I will start with only the first week.

Thanks to all again. Any good pointers would be much appreciated.

Hi Hope-

I'm excited for you!

Here's what I would suggest - if I had to do it over again, I would not over-buy liquids. For instance, that Hint Water sounded so good and a great option for me since I am not a great water drinker. But I didn't love it , and we still have dozens of bottles just sitting in the basement :o.

Take some time now to taste test the Protein Drinks. I bought a few different brands and didn't really like anything besides the Atkins.

The first two days I was on Clear Liquids. I had chicken broth/beef broth, water, SF Jello, Vitamin Water Zero (my favorite- this has replaced diet coke for me) and unsweetened ice tea.

Then when full liquids were added on day 3, I added plain greek yogurt and creamy Soups from Imagine - butternut squash and broccoli was good for me.

Again, don't buy too much because once more foods are added, you may or may not want those creamy soups.

And it's not like this procedure puts you in bed for days so you have to stock up. You will be up and about pretty quickly.

Here's a quick update on me- it's been two months, two weeks since the procedure and I"m down 24lbs.

I'm about 10lbs away from my goal. Feeling great.

I have felt some hunger a few times recently, but honestly I think it was tied more to stress than real hunger. Most of the time I am great. I am still at about 1000 cal/day give or take, and my nutritionist would like to see me at 1200 but I am on a roll, so if I don't feel like adding extra calories at the end of the day, and am not hungry, I just don't do it. I am eating more like 6-7 oz of food at a meal, rather than the 4oz in the first months. Nutritionist says that's ok and expected. I look forward to talking to the doc when I see her for my latest followup.

AmyA

That’s sounds great Amy! Thanks for the advice about the liquids. I will try Protein Shakes beforehand, great advice. Much appreciated!!

Amy Alexis, thanks for the great advice on pre-op prep and not over buying. Awesome progress! So cool you are getting close to your goal !! Very exciting!

I also agree better to ty some different shakes ahead of time. My fav was Premier Protein, 2nd best was muscle milk IMO.

Hope4momof4, thanks for kind words, glad you are feeling more positive now. Re: pre procedure I liked Premier Protein chocolate shakes (Sam's club) did those for 3 days and then the last 2 days before procedure was clear liquid diet. For clear liquids I liked chicken broth (bouillon) and not a big Water fan so drank Crystal Light flavored iced tea (Red Raspberry is my fav). This only last a couple of days after procedure as well and then moved to yogurt, chicken Soup and back to Protein Shakes. I was up and about as well within a day or so, clear liquids phase is so short you will be surprised. Also definitely feel I have more energy now in addition to not being hungry, a great combination. Good luck!

Tex

Hey guys. I have a question for you all about the meds you were required to take pre ESG. I’m just curious as to exactly what your surgeons prescribed and for how long? Also what medications did you take afterwards and for how long? Are you on any meds now that you didn’t take before? I have been sent levisin, protonix, and zofran. My instructions are to take these one day before the procedure. I’m assuming these meds are for the nausea and pain. Have any one of you taken these and were they helpful? Thanks again.

I took Emend for nausea. $200 for one pill the morning of surgery, but it was more worth it than I can say. I had zero nausea. Absolutely none. No nausea, no vomiting.

My surgeon is weird.

We had to take a big dose of Tylenol the night before, and drink a huge amount of white grape juice the night before.

Before surgery, we got another medication patch for nausea behind our ear...and a shot to prevent clots. I think we got the anti-clot shots every 12 hours until we went home. And another medication for motion sickness that helps with abdominal surgery nausea.

We went home with Zofran (for nausea...I stopped taking it when I learned it was optional and I had no nausea) Omeprazole (antacid for healing...to be taken for 3 months after surgery) and Tylenol with Codeine in suspension for pain (took only one dose...the night I got home for a good night's sleep) I did take regular Tylenol for a couple of days.

I was taken off my Lisinopril and diuretic after surgery, and my bupropion.

I was told to monitor my blood pressure daily...and to call if it went over 160 on top or 90 on the bottom...it did neither. I haven't had either of these meds since and my BP today was 124/84. (and falling)

I was allowed to restart my bupropion at 6 weeks (it's time released)...but I opted against it for now. Have not missed it.

The only maintenance med I still take...is thyroid. I will take Omeprazole for a couple more months. And of course, vitamins:)

Edited by Creekimp13

Thank you so much Creekimp13! That was incredibly thorough and informative. I have one last consult with my doctor on February 1 before my procedure on February 6. I will ask about Emend. I have heard about this med on the ESG group on Facebook. Some who have had the procedure and have taken it, swear by it while others who didn’t use it felt it was too expensive and there was no need to spend that much $ on it.

I do have one question for you about the anti-clot shots. You wrote that you received them every 12 hours until you went home. ESG is an outpatient procedure with no hospital stay. At least my ESG procedure is scheduled that way. I am aware that some need one overnight stay but that is not common, is it? Who was your surgeon if you don’t mind me asking? And yes the Tylenol and the grape juice does sound weird. However, it sounds like you had a virtually pain free experience so maybe weirdness is a good thing.

Also when was your procedure and how has your weight loss been?

Finally, I should have written this first actually, welcome to our ESG forum. It’s great to have you here! We look forward to reading your future posts and reading about your success!

Hey there gang. I’m at the point where I am finalizing my plans for my ESG procedure set for February 6. I’m experiencing a wave of different emotions from excitement to fear to shame. I hope this is normal. How did you guys feel one week preop?

My meds are the following: 1) generic Emend for nausea called aprepitant 125 mg. and 80 mg. 2) generic for librax (not sure for what—will ask at my final consult on Thursday, Feb. 1) 3) generic for protonix (I think for pain or discomfort and stomach cramping) and 4) omneprazole sodium bicarbonate 40 mg. which is for acid reflux (I was sent a three months supply— I’m hoping this is just an extra precaution) Do any of these sound familiar? Did any of you need them for an extended amount of time like more than 2 weeks to a month?

For my clear liquids stage (day before procedure and three days after): I’ve bought some clear Protein Water, not a ridiculous amount but 24 bottles (20g of protein each), I’ve purchased a 12 count box of chicken Bone Broth and 12 count of beef bone broth (each has 10g protein), I just need to purchase sugar free Jello and sugar free ice pops tomorrow. Anything I’m missing?

For my liquids stage (Day 4- 2 weeks after): I have purchased muscle milk Protein Shakes ready made 24 bottles total with 32 G protein, I have Protein Shake powder, I purchased from my doc’s office, to blend and make with 20g protein per scoop so a shake would have 40g each. I just need Protein Powder, any recommendations? I also have Greek yogurt for later in the 2 weeks.

Please let me know about any last minute items I’m forgetting that you all found to be very useful. Nervous, anxious, and scared right now.

hope4momof4, good question, I had very similar meds to Creekimp13. Main drugs were for anti-nausea, I did use Emend, also had a patch behind my ear for anti-nausea the day of the procedure and Zofran for 2 days post procedure all together they worked awesome. I did not have any nauseous symptoms.

Tex

Great to hear Tex. I’m hoping my doctor sent me all of these meds as a precaution, just in case. So right now are you still taking any meds? What Vitamins are you taking if any? Thanks again Tex for the great advice you always give me. I’ve already prepared myself to sleep reclined the day of the procedure remembering that was a piece of advice you offered shortly after your procedure.

The countdown is on! (For my procedure lol not the super bowl!)

hope4momof4, thanks great to hear from you. no meds since about 2 days following the procedure. I take Gummy Multi Vitamins and a separate gummy Calcium supplement each day.

On the sleeping thing, I did the first two nights on the couch, almost upright. My Dr. explained that if we lay down fully horizontally to sleep there's a greater chance of Fluid progressing back up from the stomach towards the esophagus. His recommendation was to be more vertical (doesn't have to be fully upright) as a way to reduce the chance of reflux or getting that feeling of reflux, etc. Particularly in the first couple of days following the procedure when the sutures are still new this is a big deal. Good luck with the countdown!!

Tex

Thanks again Tex. Maybe I’ll just prop myself up at night in bed using a few extra pillows. I hope I also only need Vitamins postop. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

So excited for you hope4momof4, it's so close now. My advice would be to take EVERYTHING for nausea control, emend included if it is offered.

Long term, no ppi (such as somac) for me, just had them for 2 weeks post op. Vitamins include a Multivitamin, vit d and Calcium and Biotin to help minimise Hair loss which is common after weight loss.

quick update on me. I haven't lost anything on the scales for a few weeks but can see lots of toning and slimming from the gym. My goal is to lose another 6kg and then decide how much more I want to lose after that. I may be happy or decide I want to lose some more. So I am about 30lb down and feel that my current eating and exercise allows me to maintain my weight. I am trying to cut down on snacking but find that exercise gives me an appetite increase so I need to be careful. Still feeling great and enjoying a much healthier lifestyle.

Mel x

So happy for you Mel! You sound like you are in a much better place mentally and definitely physically. Cheering you on as always!

Hi again,

Next update for me 😀.

Ive lost 1.4kg (3.3 lbs) this week which was a nice surprise. Have been a bit under the weather so have not been to the gym as much. I have been logging my food and working on healthy Snacks and smaller meals. Also swapped Breakfast for a Protein Shake. Excited to be 4.6 kg away from my initial goal weight. Thinking I may want to lose another 4 kg after that still but I will wait and see once I get there.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the esg journey. I would love to see your progress updates for anyone willing to share ☺️.

Mel x