Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG Progress Updates For Accountability

Thanks Mel for that very detailed response. Once again the common theme for all of us considering any weight loss procedure has been that blasted “head hunger”. I’m happy to hear that the esg has helped with this. I know of course that it will take time but as long as this procedure can make it easier to stop the cycle I feel confident about going forward. 1200 calories a day sounds fair enough. We have all probably tried diets that were extreme and reduced our calorie intake to 500 a day! No wonder we have failed in the past. Your meal plan sounds sensible and with the added exercise you’re putting in now, I can’t see how you can fail. This is the formula for success. Thanks Mel for sharing!💝💝

Ok it’s update Monday. I’m going to continue to post here regardless of whether or not anyone else is reading it, lol 😂. I need to do this and am grateful for anyone who joins in.

My biggest accomplishment this week: (not really weight related but nonetheless): Realizing that my husband still thinks I’m attractive even though I’ve gained 15-20 pounds in the past few months. I’ve been so self conscious and only worn baggy loose fitting clothes to cover up my weight gain but he really doesn’t seem to be bothered by my extra weight. This is very good for my self image but is not going to stop me from moving forward with the esg. It is because of his nonjudgmental attitude that I want to be the healthiest I can be for him and for myself.

On a side note— someone else in this forum mentioned that their husband has always been fit and lean and that bothered her, I think it was Mel?, in any case my husband is exactly the same. He’s been the same size for the past twenty years without ever “dieting”. It annoys the sh.. out of me but it’s true. However, he recently quit smoking and I’m so proud of him but he has put on like 10-15 pounds because of this. I could care less about those pounds. I’m so happy he’s quit. 🎉🎉🎊🎊

My biggest challenge: Realizing that I am getting closer to my procedure date and I haven’t changed my eating habits at all. ☹️ I have to start making an effort towards this. When do you guys think is the best time preop to really clean up your act? I have seven weeks left to go.

Ok it’s update Monday. I’m going to continue to post here regardless of whether or not anyone else is reading it, lol [emoji23]. I need to do this and am grateful for anyone who joins in.
My biggest accomplishment this week: (not really weight related but nonetheless): Realizing that my husband still thinks I’m attractive even though I’ve gained 15-20 pounds in the past few months. I’ve been so self conscious and only worn baggy loose fitting clothes to cover up my weight gain but he really doesn’t seem to be bothered by my extra weight. This is very good for my self image but is not going to stop me from moving forward with the esg. It is because of his nonjudgmental attitude that I want to be the healthiest I can be for him and for myself.
On a side note— someone else in this forum mentioned that their husband has always been fit and lean and that bothered her, I think it was Mel?, in any case my husband is exactly the same. He’s been the same size for the past twenty years without ever “dieting”. It annoys the sh.. out of me but it’s true. However, he recently quit smoking and I’m so proud of him but he has put on like 10-15 pounds because of this. I could care less about those pounds. I’m so happy he’s quit. [emoji322][emoji322][emoji323][emoji323]
My biggest challenge: Realizing that I am getting closer to my procedure date and I haven’t changed my eating habits at all. ☹️ I have to start making an effort towards this. When do you guys think is the best time preop to really clean up your act? I have seven weeks left to go.

Haha - My husband is definitely fit and healthy but it doesn't bother me. Thank god my kids got his build and metabolism and not mine!!

10 minutes ago, Melesg said:

Haha - My husband is definitely fit and healthy but it doesn't bother me. Thank god my kids got his build and metabolism and not mine!!

Add my husband to the group too. Always thin - could eat whatever he wanted (but he can gain and of course, loses it quite easily). Damn them!

On 12/16/2017 at 10:00 PM, hope4momof4 said:

1- Do you feel hungry at all eating what you’ve listed?

2- Are you eating those particular foods on the advice of your doctor/nutritionist?

3- How many calories is that per day?

4- Do you still crave any bad foods you used to crave pre esg?

5- If emotional eating was an issue for you pre esg (a major issue for me) has this procedure helped you with this or at least control it more?

Happy Monday, getting in the holiday spirit (no alcohol, snacking or Cookies this year!)

Tomorrow is 4 weeks from my ESG procedure, I lost 4 pounds this week for a total of 20 pounds since ESG!!B)

Great questions and answers by hope4momof4 and melesg here are my answers as well:

Typical daily food intake, since week 3 averaging ±1000 calories and ±100 g protein:

Breakfast 0600 - Premier Protein shake, 160 cals, 30 g Protein, Multivitamin and Calcium supplement

Mid morning 0900-1000 - Danon Non fat Light n fit Greek Yogurt Cherry, 80 cals, 12 g protein

lunch 1200 - Either Premier Protein Shake or 4 oz protein chicken or salmon (baked) 250 cals, 25 g protein

Mid afternoon 1500 - Premier Protein Shake

dinner 1900 - Either 4 oz chicken or salmon (baked) or Danon Non fat Light n fit Greek Yogurt Cherry, (if protein at lunch)

Drinking >1,5 liters of Water each day as well, between meals, no coffee/caffeine/alcohol

1) No hunger pains or feelings, no evening urges to graze that I used to have every day.

2) I didn't follow the puree stage myself as digestion has been very stable, solid foods haven't been a problem. I have stayed away from leafy items and whole fruits/veg. I'm staying with the Protein Shakes a bit longer to keep ramping down my weight. Started walking and feeling stronger this week, taking the ramp up easy, will introduce weight lifting this week as I hope to go skiing over the holiday period.

3) I'm right around 1000 calories, still a bit extreme and not long term, I have lost 20 of my ±90 pound targeted loss and want to continue this pace for another month or so. When I get below 275 (13 more pounds) I will start to transition to a more long term diet. More than 20 years since I was below 275.

4) No cravings, the head hunger thing is real for me. I don't desire sweets or salty munchies (honestly thought I would never utter these words!). My portion size is <1/5 of what I was previously eating at meal time and that's before not taking seconds.

5) Emotional eater - yes to all the above. If you would have asked me before the procedure I would have denied it and said it was based on my need to get calories due to being "a large body" with any number of related excuses, I'm big boned, I weighed this much when I was in my teens, etc. It just isn't the case. I really believe there is a positive effect from the reduction in stomach size and satiety (feeling of being full) and hormone reduction that is driving this.

Hope4momof4, don't be stressed, I would not have predicted any of 4) of 5) before I had my procedure. In fact I gained about 10 pounds in less than a month from the time of my consult to completing the blood work and dietician visit. I thought about changing my eating and lifestyle before the procedure but never could have understood beforehand how much my willpower is stronger now after the ESG.

Keep going, stay strong, there's lots of hope coming your way!!

Thank you all. Tex that is extremely reassuring! I am very excited to hear that to be successful I don’t need to be stellar preop. I’ll keep trying though. I think when I get closer to the procedure day it will really start to feel real and that nervousness/ anxiety may be a driving force to clean up my eating habits. You sound like you are doing fantastic. 20 pounds is a big accomplishment. (Can’t wait till I’m posting the same) Your daily meal plan sounds challenging for me now but post esg I hope I will be able to follow a similar meal plan. I know that I would not be able to follow your meal plan now, certainly not for any extended amount of time. I am hoping this procedure will give me that drive and will power. It sounds like you have those things. Keep up the good work!! You have all given me hope that this procedure will work. I look forward to your weekly posts. I’m preparing!🤞🏻🤞🏻

Tex - you are doing amazing. The amount of Protein you are taking in is incredible and your self discipline at such a challenging time of the year is beyond fantastic. I think you may be the most perfect esg patient - your esg team must be so happy with your progress. You are clearly very determined - to stay on shakes and such a low carb/strict plan is admirable.

You are really inspiring the whole esg community, including me. I hope you know how powerful your updates are to so many people.

Merry Christmas and keep up the great work,

Mel x

Thanks, melesg and hope4momof4, :blush: I'm no hero, same person I was before my ESG. My body and mind are reacting very differently (in a positive) way to the new diet. I was not capable of doing this either pre ESG.

Before my ESG, I tried a 2 week vegan cleanse twice, but it was not like this. I felt hunger and the desire to graze in the evening. As soon as I finished the cleanse within a couple of more weeks I reverted back to my old unhealthy eating and drinking habits. It was strange, but the reverting back did not make me feel any better, yet it still happened to me each time in my yo-yo dieting cycles. It was like the irresistible pull of a strong magnet!

I feel so much better physically now that I do not want to lose this and really believe I can make my goal, about 65 lbs more to go. I'm enjoying the holidays and not missing the drinks or Snacks and not "feeling" any physical need to eat more. I hope both of you are able to do this as well.

This forum has been so helpful to me in making my choice for an ESG and learning thru others how to adapt. Just trying to give some back and help others. Merry Christmas! :279_christmas_tree:

You both, TexSlim and Melesg have been great role models for me. And Tex you are a hero. In fact I think you both are! A hero doesn’t have to be someone with superpowers. You both have been brave enough to do a procedure that is fairly new. You both were bold enough to take that step towards your good health. You both have been caring and kind enough to continue to post for others from your experiences so that we can get a better idea of what to expect even though you both hardly knew what to expect when you had your procedures done. That to me is a hero. So many other posters have come and gone without giving the rest of us much advice or insight. I’m so thankful this holiday season for this forum. This was the best gift I could have ever received. Thank you to all of the brave heroes who have done this and came back to help the rest of us. I wish you all the merriest of Christmases and the happiest of New Years. May we all reach our goals in 2018 and remain on this forum as an “esg family”. Sending you all my love and well wishes. Here’s to a healthier and therefore happier 2018🥂🍾🎉🎉🎊🎊

Hi everyone,

One last update before Christmas. I am down 13.6kg (30lbs) since my procedure about 14 weeks ago. I was nearly 17 kg heavier this time last year and will be nice seeing in a new year lighter than the previous one.

I think I am finding my esg groove. My portion sizes were getting relaxed as was some grazing so I have gone back to tracking what I eat and weighing some foods again.

I have been at the gym most days since I joined even when I had good excuses not to go. I am enjoying the feeling of sore muscles and breaking a sweat. I really don't typically love exercise but I am realising that it's essential for building muscle and keeping my metabolism up.

I did pay dearly this week after drinking a large volume of Water very quickly. I felt awful and it didn't go away for a day. My dr said I wouldn't be restricted with fluids which is normally true, unless your an idiot like me and skull a giant glass of fluids. Oh man, it hurt. Definately won't be doing that again.

Part of me wishes I had achieved a bigger weight loss at this stage but I have to be happy with slow but consistent losses. I guess we all want to wake up skinny but I do see my behaviour changing a lot during this journey.

I really want to achieve a 20kg loss by the time I see my dr for my 6month review. I am still seeing more progress in my clothing sizes than on the scales. Just bought a size 12 dress for Christmas Day which feels great.

Merry Christmas to the wonderful esg community. Here's to a healthy and happy holiday and keeping the weight gain contained!!

Mel x

Hi Everyone!

I am overdue for an update, and finally have some time to sit down and write so here's my end-of-December report.

Since my ESG on Nov 8, and as of this morning, I am down almost 20lbs (yay) and feeling fantastic.

Best accomplishments this week - and admittedly these are very superficial - getting into my "skinny" jeans, and being able to cross my legs comfortably.

Biggest challenge: The loss has slowed down. The scale didn't budge all week until this morning, when I finally lost another lb. I know this is to be expected but still frustrating and I know that I really need to ramp up the exercise now to keep it going. My calories are already low (I average between 800-1000/day) so not much give there.

Another challenge came yesterday when, for the first time, I really felt like eating more so than I have so far. As Snacks throughout the day I had 1oz raw almonds, a Protein Shake, and 1oz of string cheese.

On Tuesday I went in for my one month appointment with my doc - this was the first time I've seen her since the procedure. On the office scale, where I'm weighed in in clothes and after eating and drinking all morning, I was down 17lbs. Doc said I was doing great - above average in the weight loss. I will see her in another month.

I'm cleared to add all forms of exercise. And even though I am allowed to add in some starch this week, she said I should stay away from carbs to help keep the weight loss going, so I'm all for that.

And one of the best things now- I have real coffee in the morning! :)

Here's yesterday's day of food as an example:

Breakfast: (same every day:)

4oz Fage plain greek yogurt with 1oz blueberries/real vanilla & truvia added.

2 cups Coffee w FF coffee mate

Snack: Protein shake

Lunch: 4oz 1% cottage cheese

Snack: 1oz cashew butter or 1oz raw cashews

Snack: 1oz string cheese

Dinner: Turkey burger (Jenny-o - about 2.5oz cooked/180cal) and 2.5 oz steamed spinach.

snack: protein shake

total cals for day = 931

That's about it for now- happy to answer any questions as always. Have a great holiday everyone!

AmyA

Edited by AmyAlexis

Great progress Amy. (20 pounds down!!🎉🎊) I made sure to put that in bold so you can take that in for a minute. You have done extremely well— skinny jeans my dear are only a fantasy for me right now. Give yourself credit please.

I think you could possibly be struggling with wanting to eat more because of the holidays. I know I always feel like snacking more at this time of the year due to the stress of the holidays and the fact that those sugary Snacks are constantly in your face. I would not beat yourself up about that at all. Tex commented that he was glad he had his procedure before the holidays because it definitely helped control those cravings. Think of how much bad foods you’d be munching on mindlessly without the procedure. Most people gain during the holidays so I’d call that a win for you. Keep up the good work. Remember that slow and steady wins the race because ,as I’ve read, the weight loss will slow down now. You have to always keep in mind that before esg it was a struggle to keep from gaining so any amount of weight, regardless of how small, that is lost is definitely a good thing.

(One minor question though- you were not allowed coffee after your procedure? I know that sodas and carbonated drinks are off limits but coffee? I am not clear on that one. My doctor didn’t mention this. Did they tell you why?)

Happy Holidays and keep updating. I really enjoy reading about all of your successes— Tex and Melesg love you guys too! You guys are all nailing it!💝💝

17 minutes ago, hope4momof4 said:

Great progress Amy. (20 pounds down!!🎉🎊) I made sure to put that in bold so you can take that in for a minute. You have done extremely well— skinny jeans my dear are only a fantasy for me right now. Give yourself credit please.

I think you could possibly be struggling with wanting to eat more because of the holidays. I know I always feel like snacking more at this time of the year due to the stress of the holidays and the fact that those sugary Snacks are constantly in your face. I would not beat yourself up about that at all. Tex commented that he was glad he had his procedure before the holidays because it definitely helped control those cravings. Think of how much bad foods you’d be munching on mindlessly without the procedure. Most people gain during the holidays so I’d call that a win for you. Keep up the good work. Remember that slow and steady wins the race because ,as I’ve read, the weight loss will slow down now. You have to always keep in mind that before esg it was a struggle to keep from gaining so any amount of weight, regardless of how small, that is lost is definitely a good thing.

(One minor question though- you were not allowed coffee after your procedure? I know that sodas and carbonated drinks are off limits but coffee? I am not clear on that one. My doctor didn’t mention this. Did they tell you why?)

Happy Holidays and keep updating. I really enjoy reading about all of your successes— Tex and Melesg love you guys too! You guys are all nailing it!💝💝

Thanks Hope4momof4!

Could be the holidays, I'm thinking more just general stress moments for different reasons. But you are right- I am not one to take in accomplishments, I'm more of a it's-never-good-enough person. Gotta work on that!

In terms of the coffee- they told me no coffee for first 5 weeks because it's a diuretic, and staying hydrated is important. I was able to have Decaf, and that got me through my mornings - but it's just not the same for me.

Thanks for the coffee tip love. I better start weaning myself off 😫😩That wont be easy but Decaf will have to do. And yes, I think you are being a little too hard on yourself. I suppose being “on the other side” puts you in that mind set but if look at it from an unbiased perspective you three— Amy, Tex, and Melesg have done fabulously. Going down clothes sizes, losing a significant amount of weight, 20, 30, and 20+ pounds respectively, and fitting into skinny jeans—that alone deserves its own prize🏆Please take a moment guys to be thankful for this progress so far. Of course we want you all to continue to strive for even more weight loss but don’t ignore this success and get down on yourselves. And also remember this quote I’m using on you all when I’m posting the same thing in March after my procedure 🤣🤣🤣

All my best!!

4 hours ago, hope4momof4 said:

Thanks for the coffee tip love. I better start weaning myself off 😫😩That wont be easy but Decaf will have to do.

If you're not getting the procedure til March, it's too early to wean off- give yourself a couple of weeks before. I didn't have any prob with headaches or anything like that, just love my coffee and it's a morning routine/habit.