Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG Progress Updates For Accountability

Good evening all! I was thinking that we should start a thread on this forum where we post an update on our progress, challenges, frustrations, or just a place for us to unload about anything we want to while on this unique journey. There aren’t many esg people out there compared to the other WLS so I thought that this particular thread could help us bond together. To be honest I feel so close to so many of you that I really want to keep that relationship for as long as possible. So even if you are preop I want us each to post an update on how their week has progressed. Please write whatever you felt was important about your week pre or post esg. It could be a that you’ve moved on to solids or you’ve lost a nice amount of weight for that week or you really struggled or perhaps you are starting to revert back to the old habits that got us here in the first place. Let’s try and update every Monday starting on December 4, 2017. My hope is we will become more accountable for our food choices and possibly stop any member from falling off track. Let us all make a commitment to one another and post our week’s successes and failures. If we had a successful week then we can guide others to do the same. If we’ve had a bad week then perhaps posting it will get us back on track. I know by now most of you are hating my long posts, lol, 🤣🤣 but I think if we stick to posting our progress or lack of at least once a week we can minimize failure and encourage one another. Come on gang I hope you are all with me 😬😬🤞🏻🤞🏻

I’ll post Monday although I’m in the preop stage. I’ll post about whatever things I’m worried about leading to my esg or something I discovered about it for the week. Looking forward to reading all of the updates every Monday on this thread. We can do this!!!!

I’m going to begin by posting my stats so hopefully once I have my procedure I can look back and see how much weight I’ve lost.

Current weight: 198 lbs. (ouch🤭)

height: 5’5”, Age: 43, female

Biggest thing I accomplished this past week: I finally made an appointment for a consultation on 12/7 (which I will definitely update about on a different thread, lol)

My biggest challenge: having the courage to tell my husband I want to do this (he’s the only one who will know besides my mom) and trying to wean myself off of phentermine which at this point is really not helping me with my appetite at all. I am too afraid to stop taking it because I will probably gain a lot of weight if I do.

My biggest victory (even if it’s a very small one): realizing that I don’t need a sweet snack at night and reached for a piece of fruit instead.

I hope at least some of you join me in this thread. Once I have my procedure, God willing, this will keep me accountable.

Thanks for allowing me to share. 🤗🤗

Love this idea.

The past week has been a challenge for me [emoji853].
I have spent much of the past week at the hospital with a unwell relative. Way to many meals at the hospital cafeteria that included ALL the carbs [emoji51].

I realise that my little routine has been so important in my success so far. It's really hard to control what you eat when you don't prepare the food and haven't planned ahead.

On the upside, I have not "fallen off the wagon" so to speak. I haven't had junk food or desperately sort out unhealthy food to console myself and that certainly feels like progress. Just happy to grab a small size Pasta or sandwich rather than lean meat and veg. So a "carb kg" gained for me that I plan to shove this week [emoji4].

Haven't exercised for the past week and am looking forward to getting back into moving again.

Thankfully, I am now back home and today is day 1 getting back to it.

So for me, just over 13kg down since esg and 16kg down from this time last year.

On a positive note... It's so nice to weigh less than a year ago. It's the first time I can say that in quite some time. I would really like to drop 2 kg before Xmas so wish me luck!

Mel x

First off, so sorry to hear about your relative in the hospital. I wish them a speed recovery. Secondly, what a major accomplishment! These are the exact situations that test our will and resolve and I would say you passed with flying colors! Stress is the main reason that causes us to revert back to our old habits. Kudos to you for this victory!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

This is exactly why I started this thread. Thanks again Mel for sharing your experience. Look forward to next week’s post. I’m sure the 2 kg. will come off now that you have gone back to your routine.

Thanks for starting this thread hope4momof4 it's a great idea.

My stats

Current weight: 191.6 lbs.

Height: 5’4”, Age: 45, female

Biggest thing I accomplished this past week: I met with ESG doctor, discontinued using phentermine. and cut out sugar, flour, and grains.

My biggest challenge: Coping with hunger pangs, sugar withdrawals, lung and joint infection and needing a dose of prednisone which increases my appetite.

My biggest victory: I have lost 3.4 lbs and sleeping through the night.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:49 AM, hope4momof4 said:

I’m going to begin by posting my stats so hopefully once I have my procedure I can look back and see how much weight I’ve lost.

Current weight: 198 lbs. (ouch🤭)

height: 5’5”, Age: 43, female

Biggest thing I accomplished this past week: I finally made an appointment for a consultation on 12/7 (which I will definitely update about on a different thread, lol)

My biggest challenge: having the courage to tell my husband I want to do this (he’s the only one who will know besides my mom) and trying to wean myself off of phentermine which at this point is really not helping me with my appetite at all. I am too afraid to stop taking it because I will probably gain a lot of weight if I do.

My biggest victory (even if it’s a very small one): realizing that I don’t need a sweet snack at night and reached for a piece of fruit instead.

I hope at least some of you join me in this thread. Once I have my procedure, God willing, this will keep me accountable.

Thanks for allowing me to share. 🤗🤗

Congratulations on making your ESG consultation appointment and replacing a sweet snack with fruit. I use fruit to satisfy my sweet craving, I have found that I never overeat bananas, apples or oranges. I keep a cut up apple or banana next to my bed, just in case I wake up in the middle of the night looking for sugar. I have not needed it, but I like to have something there just in case while detoxing from sugar.

The first week off phentermine is a b***h, this is what works for me...I set up a rigid eating routine so my mind does not wonder. I see it as a bootcamp. I eat at 9am 1 fruit and 4 oz of Protein, 12pm 8oz cooked veggies 4 oz of protein, 6pm 8 oz of cooked veggies and 4 oz protein, if my hunger is too great I eat more of what I have already prepared or a piece of fruit. It's better then reaching for the crack(sugar) and the rigidity helps my mind stay focused. Try and keep your schedule lax with little physical activity as to let your body rest, sleep and detox.

8 hours ago, Melesg said:

Love this idea.

The past week has been a challenge for me .
I have spent much of the past week at the hospital with a unwell relative. Way to many meals at the hospital cafeteria that included ALL the carbs .

I realise that my little routine has been so important in my success so far. It's really hard to control what you eat when you don't prepare the food and haven't planned ahead.

On the upside, I have not "fallen off the wagon" so to speak. I haven't had junk food or desperately sort out unhealthy food to console myself and that certainly feels like progress. Just happy to grab a small size Pasta or sandwich rather than lean meat and veg. So a "carb kg" gained for me that I plan to shove this week .

Haven't exercised for the past week and am looking forward to getting back into moving again.

Thankfully, I am now back home and today is day 1 getting back to it.

So for me, just over 13kg down since esg and 16kg down from this time last year.

On a positive note... It's so nice to weigh less than a year ago. It's the first time I can say that in quite some time. I would really like to drop 2 kg before Xmas so wish me luck!

Mel x

Hi Mel,

I find meal prep to be HUGE in keeping me on track as well. I'm sorry to hear about your sick relative. Glad to hear you are back at home and can resume your routine. You just endured a really stressful event and did not use food to comfort you. That's a huge accomplishment and shift in how your relate to food. Well done!

25 minutes ago, genia22 said:

Congratulations on your progresses! Can you explain ESG?

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi genia22,

Here is a link to information on Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty

http://drsharaiha.com/endoscopic-sleeve/

Hope that helps,

1 hour ago, BubblesCT said:

Congratulations on making your ESG consultation appointment and replacing a sweet snack with fruit. I use fruit to satisfy my sweet craving, I have found that I never overeat bananas, apples or oranges. I keep a cut up apple or banana next to my bed, just in case I wake up in the middle of the night looking for sugar. I have not needed it, but I like to have something there just in case while detoxing from sugar.

The first week off phentermine is a b***h, this is what works for me...I set up a rigid eating routine so my mind does not wonder. I see it as a bootcamp. I eat at 9am 1 fruit and 4 oz of Protein, 12pm 8oz cooked veggies 4 oz of Protein, 6pm 8 oz of cooked veggies and 4 oz protein, if my hunger is too great I eat more of what I have already prepared or a piece of fruit. It's better then reaching for the crack(sugar) and the rigidity helps my mind stay focused. Try and keep your schedule lax with little physical activity as to let your body rest, sleep and detox.

Well then. You have accomplished so much more than I have and I am so happy for you. Getting off phentermine— wow! You could possibly be my new hero!🤩

Edited by hope4momof4

1 hour ago, BubblesCT said:

Thanks for starting this thread hope4momof4 it's a great idea.

My stats

Current weight: 191.6 lbs.

Height: 5’4”, Age: 45, female

Biggest thing I accomplished this past week: I met with ESG doctor, discontinued using phentermine. and cut out sugar, flour, and grains.

My biggest challenge: Coping with hunger pangs, sugar withdrawals, lung and joint infection and needing a dose of prednisone which increases my appetite.

My biggest victory: I have lost 3.4 lbs and sleeping through the night.

That is awesome!!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻You have had a very, very busy week. Great work. You are taking care of these issues pre esg. I just know you will be a complete success after your procedure. Looking forward to next weeks post.

Wow, great week! good job BubblesCT you're working some important challenges and making progress! well done!

Hi all!

Been a few since I updated - for some reason was not getting posting alerts like I normally did, and when I logged on it said there was site maintenance - anyway...

As a reminder I had my ESG on Nov 8, and was losing every day- last I posted I was down 16 lbs- and as of last weigh in two days ago, I hadn't broken past that. I've been up and down 1.5lbs for the last week or so - part of it may be that I've def had some Constipation issues- and despite taking Miralax nightly- i'm still backed up. Also after such a quick loss, my body prob is trying to catch up- so we'll see where I am in another day or two.

Today starts week 5 which is the same as week 4 when it comes to the food- started to add soft vegetables, and i'm told soft fruit is ok too but I have not ventured.

If this helps anyone in the pre phase, the nutritionist and doc say to eat Protein at each meal, not to eat fruit or veg alone - must be combined with protein.

Biggest challenge is being out and about and being able to eat outside the house, I've been lucky that I'm between jobs at the moment - which is why this was the best time for me to do this, but last night I went out with friends and bopping around NYC- all I could do was carry a couple of shakes with me. Need better planning- will reach out to nutritionist for ideas.

Hope everyone is doing great -

AmyA

Hi all!
Been a few since I updated - for some reason was not getting posting alerts like I normally did, and when I logged on it said there was site maintenance - anyway...
As a reminder I had my ESG on Nov 8, and was losing every day- last I posted I was down 16 lbs- and as of last weigh in two days ago, I hadn't broken past that. I've been up and down 1.5lbs for the last week or so - part of it may be that I've def had some Constipation issues- and despite taking Miralax nightly- i'm still backed up. Also after such a quick loss, my body prob is trying to catch up- so we'll see where I am in another day or two.
Today starts week 5 which is the same as week 4 when it comes to the food- started to add soft vegetables, and i'm told soft fruit is ok too but I have not ventured.
If this helps anyone in the pre phase, the nutritionist and doc say to eat Protein at each meal, not to eat fruit or veg alone - must be combined with Protein.< br> Biggest challenge is being out and about and being able to eat outside the house, I've been lucky that I'm between jobs at the moment - which is why this was the best time for me to do this, but last night I went out with friends and bopping around NYC- all I could do was carry a couple of shakes with me. Need better planning- will reach out to nutritionist for ideas.
AmyA

You are doing great AmyAlexis. In my experience, a fantastic part of having am esg is that you will be able to enjoy a meal out that can be almost anything. You will just be happy sharing it or leaving half on your plate. I have seen a friend struggle to eat so many foods post lap band and knew I didn't want to go down that path.

Some sort of marinated chicken and veg was my initial go to order. As I have got further out from my procedure, I can choose anything. My way of disguising that I can only eat a small amount is to declare how amazing it is and that my family really have to try it. Works a treat. Otherwise an starter meal is a good option as an entree/main meal.

Know that this phase will soon pass and you will be enjoying a huge variety of nutritious food and feel amazing for it x

12 hours ago, AmyAlexis said:

Hi all!

If this helps anyone in the pre phase, the nutritionist and doc say to eat Protein at each meal, not to eat fruit or veg alone - must be combined with Protein.

Biggest challenge is being out and about and being able to eat outside the house, I've been lucky that I'm between jobs at the moment - which is why this was the best time for me to do this, but last night I went out with friends and bopping around NYC- all I could do was carry a couple of shakes with me. Need better planning- will reach out to nutritionist for ideas.

AmyA

Great job, AmyAlexis. Nice to hear from you! I thought we lost you! Please post for us your progress for inspiration and your challenges for support. As you have seen, Melesg is a great help to all of us in this forum. She and several others who have had the procedure are always eager to help others!!