Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buddies Group - Surgery Dec 4 to 15, 2017

Hi everyone!
I'm Morgan, and I was sleeved on 12/5.

I'm about 3.5 weeks out.

The first day was ROUGH. I pretty much vomited from the time I woke up until the next morning. I'm doing well now, and just really trying to adjust to this new normal.

I am having trouble getting all of my Protein in, though. I do really love GENEPRO. I hear a lot of people mix it with coffee, so I might try that. I can't tolerate flavored Protein Shakes (my pouch HATES) artificial sweeteners, Sylvia, Trulia, and sugar alcohols. Premier Protein had been the worst so far for me. Are there any other options out there that actually taste decent?

Hi Morgan! I was sleeved on 12/4 so about same timeline. Does milk bother you? I drink Fairlife ultra filtered, 13g protein per cup and lactose free (I was having issues with lactose post-surgery). Also Oikos triple zero Greek yogurt has worked well for me-15g of protein, sometimes I will blend with unflavored Protein Powder, milk and ice to make a shake.

Good luck!

Sleeve date 12/4/17

SW: 318

CW: 290

Hi Morgan! I was sleeved on 12/4 so about same timeline. Does milk bother you? I drink Fairlife ultra filtered, 13g Protein per cup and lactose free (I was having issues with lactose post-surgery). Also Oikos triple zero Greek yogurt has worked well for me-15g of protein, sometimes I will blend with unflavored Protein Powder, milk and ice to make a shake.

Good luck!

Sleeve date 12/4/17

SW: 318

CW: 290

Hi!
In general, dairy doesn't bother me. The flavorings and sweetener used in things like flavored Protein Shakes and the Triple Zero yogurt.

Good luck to you, as well!

On 12/27/2017 at 6:30 PM, SKF said:

Tomorrow 1:00 28th Thursday the day! . I am starting to rethink..... Today was just, Water, broth, Isopur.Has anyone used Isopur as a clear liquid the day before surgery?

Another question.. I can’t stop sneezing. I am afraid this might burst my stitches :/. Yikes.. I hope I can take liquid Benadryl. I don’t want to sneeze. I am going rouge tomorrow. Getting dropped off at 11.. do you need anyone with you before you go into surgery?

My gut instincts say this is right. I just feel a little nervous, have anxiety.

well if any of my fellow sleevers have any advice love to hear your comments.

Hope you are all doing well. Thank God for this forum. It’s lonely out here.

Best Wishess to all for a Happy Healthy New Years..... forever. 🥂🍾To our new life! cheers

Hi SKF, hope youre surgery was complication free :) and your sneezing has subsided somewhat.. I didnt really have any abdominal suture issues and only minimal pain.. the only pain that I remember was the gas pain and that is only alleviated by walking. SO walk as much as you possibly can today..and you will feel tons better ! I promise. MY doctor made me (and the other 2 girls walk every hour. so many laps around the floor. We all wound up walking together. That was encouraging as well.. The nurses and techs had to notate how many rounds we did. It really helped. The nausea I experienced was temporary, so try to push through it if you see yourself suffering the same. Good Luck on your journey.

1 hour ago, hollyb815 said:

Hi SKF, hope youre surgery was complication free :) and your sneezing has subsided somewhat.. I didnt really have any abdominal suture issues and only minimal pain.. the only pain that I remember was the gas pain and that is only alleviated by walking. SO walk as much as you possibly can today..and you will feel tons better ! I promise. MY doctor made me (and the other 2 girls walk every hour. so many laps around the floor. We all wound up walking together. That was encouraging as well.. The nurses and techs had to notate how many rounds we did. It really helped. The nausea I experienced was temporary, so try to push through it if you see yourself suffering the same. Good Luck on your journey.

Hi! Hollyb815

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are doing well.

i am feeling ok. Will head your advice walked 3 times today, sitting in a recliner.

Pain not to bad, morphine and Tylenol, zofram, I ended up having a large hernia repaired too. Lots of burping and struggling to get a sip down of Water every hour but doing it. It hurts and doesn’t seem to go down always and I need to get a burp up .

I am self pay so I hope the pay part of bill and hernia charge??

New day .. journey begins, Happy New Year. Thanks again

no sneezing here will see when I get home .. keeping the dogs out of my bubble recoup room haha! Hopefully

Edited by SKF
Text

21 hours ago, UndercoverDiet said:

My plan allows tuna at 2 weeks out.

Mine does as well, I guess I was just nervous about it.

hi buddies - glad to see most people doing well :)

I have to say I'm in a little bit of a slow down just starting my 4th week after surgery but my two friends that were sleeved said it happened to them at 3 weeks and one at 4-5 weeks so I'm being calm about it lol....trying to Celebrate the 21 lbs since the surgery instead of thinking it could be more. I have not been able to walk outside here as it's ridiculously freezing...and my gym is at work so I joined my husband's gym locally so I can offset those days when I'm not at work and will be going tomorrow..hopefully that jumpstarts me. :)

anyone else see a slow down at all?

hi buddies - glad to see most people doing well [emoji4]
I have to say I'm in a little bit of a slow down just starting my 4th week after surgery but my two friends that were sleeved said it happened to them at 3 weeks and one at 4-5 weeks so I'm being calm about it lol....trying to Celebrate the 21 lbs since the surgery instead of thinking it could be more. I have not been able to walk outside here as it's ridiculously freezing...and my gym is at work so I joined my husband's gym locally so I can offset those days when I'm not at work and will be going tomorrow..hopefully that jumpstarts me. [emoji4]
anyone else see a slow down at all?

Same here monday makes week 4 super proud of myself!!!!

Sent from my LGLS676 using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, aimee jones said:

I am out 3 days post op and my feet are swelling ! What should I do?

You should call your surgeon..I'm not a doctor/nurse but that doesn't sound good. :(

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, Joe88 said:

Hi everyone, I had VSG on Dec 4th. I'm having a lot of issues with stomach inflammation and irritation and it's been kind of a struggle. I was moved to pureed yesterday, so finally I can eat something that tastes normal. I'd love to chat with anyone out there through any medium and just share the journey/thoughts even if you need to vent.

Hey Joe, I had surgery on the 5th and have had some struggles. I feel I've stretched my new stomach some by trying to get all the fluids in. I went on pureed on the 20th, sounds like we are on the same diet schedule. My stomach has been messed up since surgery, mainly diarrhea every day. I've had no reflux but dealing with a ton of gas. I'm actually thinking of getting some gas-x to take. Not sure if that is safe. The week I went to my post op on Dec 20, I told them I had been having chills but since I had no fever, they disregarded it as post op and the trauma from surgery. I was getting sick which happened the next day and due to the holidays I was sick over Christmas. Sick all this week, still sick. I haven't been on here for about 10 days. My weight loss was halted then and I've struggled meeting the minimum fluids because I've been sleeping so much. I can't really deal with much, just trying to get well so I can get back on track. I'm ticked about it since I had a goal for the first month and I need to exercise and can't. Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear but it's my story for now. I do hate the pureed phase....disgusting. My doctor told me some ideas to do instead. Like mash foods, chew more than normal.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, Joe88 said:

Hi everyone, I had VSG on Dec 4th. I'm having a lot of issues with stomach inflammation and irritation and it's been kind of a struggle. I was moved to pureed yesterday, so finally I can eat something that tastes normal. I'd love to chat with anyone out there through any medium and just share the journey/thoughts even if you need to vent.

Hey Joe, I had surgery on the 5th and have had some struggles. I feel I've stretched my new stomach some by trying to get all the fluids in. I went on pureed on the 20th, sounds like we are on the same diet schedule. My stomach has been messed up since surgery, mainly diarrhea every day. I've had no reflux but dealing with a ton of gas. I'm actually thinking of getting some gas-x to take. Not sure if that is safe. The week I went to my post op on Dec 20, I told them I had been having chills but since I had no fever, they disregarded it as post op and the trauma from surgery. I was getting sick which happened the next day and due to the holidays I was sick over Christmas. Sick all this week, still sick. I haven't been on here for about 10 days. My weight loss was halted then and I've struggled meeting the minimum fluids because I've been sleeping so much. I can't really deal with much, just trying to get well so I can get back on track. I'm ticked about it since I had a goal for the first month and I need to exercise and can't. Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear but it's my story for now. I do hate the pureed phase....disgusting. My doctor told me some ideas to do instead. Like mash foods, chew more than normal.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, SKF said:

On my way up to surgery. Thanks for preparing me about the hernia.

SK, I had no problem with my hernia repair 6 years ago with lap band surgery. Had no idea it was even done. I hope everything went well for you. Keep me posted, you're on your way!

Hi everyone, I got really sick with bronchitis about 10 days ago, been down sick. Weight loss came to a halt even though I'm not eating much. I've been sleeping or out of it so much that I've struggled meeting the minimum on fluids. I'm so frustrated but know I cannot help being sick. They gave me a Prednisone shot too, didn't want to give me the pills due to the stomach still healing, thank goodness! Plus what the side effects are. I've been on antibiotics since Tuesday and not much better. Going into coughing fits to the point of wanting to throw up. At least my incisions are healed so they don't hurt when I cough. (Got this same thing about 10 days after lap band surgery and it was awful with the incisions). I think not drinking enough is making my body retain more fluids so no weight loss. Plus I was so ready to start exercising but that's a no no right now. I guess my body will kick in again when I'm healed. So if I'm not on here, it's probably cause I'm not online cause I'm feeling sick.

Edited by Mary Stokley Gromer

8 hours ago, Mary Stokley Gromer said:

Hi everyone, I got really sick with bronchitis about 10 days ago, been down sick. Weight loss came to a halt even though I'm not eating much. I've been sleeping or out of it so much that I've struggled meeting the minimum on fluids. I'm so frustrated but know I cannot help being sick. They gave me a Prednisone shot too, didn't want to give me the pills due to the stomach still healing, thank goodness! Plus what the side effects are. I've been on antibiotics since Tuesday and not much better. Going into coughing fits to the point of wanting to throw up. At least my incisions are healed so they don't hurt when I cough. (Got this same thing about 10 days after lap band surgery and it was awful with the incisions). I think not drinking enough is making my body retain more fluids so no weight loss. Plus I was so ready to start exercising but that's a no no right now. I guess my body will kick in again when I'm healed. So if I'm not on here, it's probably cause I'm not online cause I'm feeling sick.

Oh no Mary! Sorry to hear this. That’s scary. Good that Your healed for the most part and stitches didn’t burst. It sucks not feeling good after this surgery! Don’t worry about pounds for now, you will do it. Feel better and hang in there.

I am staying in the guest room that I sanitized before I left for the hospital.

Keeping dogs out. I don’t want to sneeze.

Just hanging out in the recliner, short walks. I’ve been burping so much. More than before. This hernia repaired may have added to the mix of my recovery. Not in too much pain so far .. sore and tired. Down only 5 but I am ok with that one day 3.

Have a good day. Stay warm!

I was sleeved on 12/4. The first night was rough - I had some dry heaves. I got over those within 24 hours. It has been very smooth and uneventful ever since. I get the required fluids and Protein down with ease. I did find the full liquid stage much harder than the pre-op full liquid stage. I believe I was actually hungry; not head hungry or suffering from acid. Things improved once I moved to purees. I've added some soft foods in prematurely because everything has been very easy to tolerate physically. And my body seems to like the real food better than the shakes. My weight loss all but stops when I am on full liquids, but picks up when I eat real food.

My challenges: I am really having to modify the speed with which I eat. i am a super-fast eater. It really does not work with the sleeve. So I am using a timer between bites and at the merest hint of discomfort or fullness I stop eating. Protein fills me up after a couple of bites. I can eat higher volumes (like, 5 bites?) of Greek yogurt.

I miss vegetables. I'm eating pureed veggies, but I would kill for a salad or some steamed broccoli. And I want to exercise. The doc said I should wait six weeks, but I am antsy and my recovery seems to be going well. I might ask whether we could cut off a week or two of wait time.

I started at 240, was 219 on surgery day, and am 209 today. When have I ever lost any weight in December, much less 11 lbs? I still kind of can't believe I let someone cut me open and take out my stomach, but I think this was a good decision.

Best to everyone who is recovering!

Edited by over_and_over_again