Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have mine December 5th. I’m freakimg out wondering if this is right for me. Will I regret it etc. I keep praying to god to show me a sign of I should continue down this path. I’m so terrified and feel like my family doesn’t understand how confused I am. I’m 7 days away from surgery date. I thinking about calling my surgeon and either canceling it. I’m not sure what to do. I’m 278 right now, my highest weight was 320. I’ve lost 9lbs since the pre op diet. Can anyone give me advice on what i should do? I’m so scared and don’t know if I should do this on my own. I just don’t want to be in the position I was before. 😭 I know I need to loose the weight I’m just scared that I will be miserable. food addiction is hard and that’s the reason I’m here, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to enjoy my foods. I’m scared of throwing up or feeling sick etc. My family thinks I shouldn’t get it done and I wish I didn’t tell them because that also makes me second guess myself. I’m scared that i am going to fail not staying on track with my Vitamins, or seeing foods and having cravings feeling miserable because I can’t have any. Dealing with complications etc. I feel like I will regret either way I get the surgery or not. My boyfriend thinks I works hard to get all the way to this point it would be foolish of me to give up now. I thought about maybe asking my surgeon to do the (reshape) balloon instead since this is temporary and I can see how I handle this before making a lifetime commitment. I’m also scared of that too because I recently read an article about 5 people dying but not knowing if these were the cause of death. Thoughts?

Edited by Melloyellow
Left something out.

Relax... we all have gone through this!! Trust me, it will be fine.

Everyone in the world besides us thinks this is the easy way out, the quickest way to lose weight without doing any work. Is that true? NOT AT ALL. This is forced Portion Control and it is tough, no doubt. Your relationship with food will change dramatically and it will be a constant shift of the way you eat and the way you THINK about food. Will it be tough? Sure. Will you regret it? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

If we could lose weight on our own, if our food addiction had not taken over our lives, we would all be a size 6 and pushing away a salad halfway through the meal. That's not us. We are food addicted and the inmates have taken over the asylum. This surgery will help you defeat that crazy insane need to eat. I didn't even want to LOOK at food for the first four months after surgery. Overeating after surgery? No way!! I didn't throw up once. Not once. And I was a crazy overeater, I would eat until I was full and then continue on...

You will begin to lose weight and your self-esteem will change completely. You'll see the changes and want more, crave more, work harder at it because those scales DON'T LIE and you will want to reach the goals faster. I'm serious. The day I crossed certain weight goals, I cried. The day I crossed 200 pounds, I sobbed. I couldn't get there on my own, through diet and exercise. This surgery helped me to reach weights I have not seen in years, decades!

I feel great, I look great, I shop at regular clothing stores, I walk up and down stairs without feeling like I want to die. I don't cover my body in clothes that look like tents, I'm not ashamed any longer. I don't let people define me by my size, I know I went that extra mile to make myself look and feel better, healthier, happier.

Don't be scared and don't listen to the horror stories. The complications that happen after this surgery are few and far between. Some people who are less healthy when they have the surgery generally have a few complications post, but the death after surgery is very very rare. I had a complication post surgery, my esophagus swelled after I went home and I vomited the first night, couldn't keep anything down. I went to the ER and got a steroid shot, and boom! I was home in 2 hours and never looked back. My blood pressure is normal, my A1C is normal, my cholesterol went down to normal levels. I take ZERO medication besides Vitamins.

You'll be fine. You'll take your vitamins, you'll take care of yourself, you'll miss some things sometimes but you will make up for it. Every once in a while you will overeat until you feel sick and you will learn your lesson. And you'll stay in touch with all of us on this site, you will ask the questions, you will rage, you will get stuck at a weight for a few weeks and whine and cry, you will hate the diet post surgery, etc. We have all gone through it. You will be fine.

Don't lose hope. Do the surgery. The gastric sleeve is safe and generally complication free. You're almost there. Don't quit. Every single person on this site was terrified pre-surgery. We all second-guessed ourselves. And post surgery? We are all thinner, healthier and happier!! Do we miss food? The overeating, wondrous quality of it? Sure. But do we miss our old heavy unhealthy bodies? NOT AT ALL.

Hang in there! You'll be great!