Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I’m confused Is Dr. Illan the only surgeon?

Hello everyone,

I’ve been going back and forth for years now on getting the surgery done due to financial reasons and nerves. I contacted Mx Bariatrics team (Illan) was approved earlier this year but had to back out. I’m ready to bite the bullet & go to Mexico in the new year (2018) but I want to know do you guys have any other suggestions other than Illan? I have no issues with him I just feel like I should have more options & not put all my eggs in one basket. For some reason I’m scared because he is really popular now & I don’t want to be the one that gets a bad turnout... Idk if that makes sense to you all but I’m an over thinker. I don’t know who to go with because I can’t stop looking at new stuff lol. I’ve been researching for about 2 yrs now and it’s all starting to run together. Am I crazy??

Dr. Alvarez endobariatric.com

Dr Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center. I ended getting mine done in Florida, but the only 2 Dr's I would consider are Dr Illan and the OCC. Superb credentials and patient reviews. Dr Ortiz has plenty of YouTube videos. Just make sure you search for Ariel Ortiz.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for responding. They are my picks as well.

Dr. Illan is an excellent choice. Inexpensive, but the best part is you will be completely taken care of. I went with him, because I couldn't find any past patients that had experienced major complications. It was a great decision. I spent two nights in the hospital, and 1 night in a nice hotel along with a companion. All was included. I was even visited at the hotel by a doctor the night before I left home. It was safe, and honestly I have never received better care in the states. I didn't ever have to ask for pain killers, nausea medicines or anything else, because the nurses were in my room to add the medications to my IV every few hours. I would go back in a heartbeat if I needed to. Do your due diligence, but just know you will definitely be in great hands if you go with Dr. Illan.

3 hours ago, justamber said:

I have no desire to die during this procedure. Dr. Illian has zero deaths and a low complication rate thats all I need to know.

I don’t think anyone looking to get this procedure have a desire to die. I am just trying to see if someone might have something useful to share that I may have overlooked. But unfortunately ppl sometimes only promote what they want u to know or what may benefit them. But thanks for your input.

4 minutes ago, DropWt4Life said:

Dr. Illan is an excellent choice. Inexpensive, but the best part is you will be completely taken care of. I went with him, because I couldn't find any past patients that had experienced major complications. It was a great decision. I spent two nights in the hospital, and 1 night in a nice hotel along with a companion. All was included. I was even visited at the hotel by a doctor the night before I left home. It was safe, and honestly I have never received better care in the states. I didn't ever have to ask for pain killers, nausea medicines or anything else, because the nurses were in my room to add the medications to my IV every few hours. I would go back in a heartbeat if I needed to. Do your due diligence, but just know you will definitely be in great hands if you go with Dr. Illan.

Thanks for responding. Good to hear you had a great turnout. Best of luck on your journey. I think I’m just stressing out & want to be sure that I’m sure with my decision. Lol

17 hours ago, BrandNew Lady said:

Hello everyone,

I’ve been going back and forth for years now on getting the surgery done due to financial reasons and nerves. I contacted Mx Bariatrics team (Illan) was approved earlier this year but had to back out. I’m ready to bite the bullet & go to Mexico in the new year (2018) but I want to know do you guys have any other suggestions other than Illan? I have no issues with him I just feel like I should have more options & not put all my eggs in one basket. For some reason I’m scared because he is really popular now & I don’t want to be the one that gets a bad turnout... Idk if that makes sense to you all but I’m an over thinker. I don’t know who to go with because I can’t stop looking at new stuff lol. I’ve been researching for about 2 yrs now and it’s all starting to run together. Am I crazy??

Dr. Illan isn't your only option for a good weight loss surgeon in Mexico. I will say that you're a decision to have surgery now will likely work to your benefit! We opened our new hospital a few months ago and our patients are loving it! Check out my intro video I posted a few days ago:

We also launched a new website where you can read more about us and Dr. Illan at https://bariatricpalhospitalmx.com/ .

Check into Dr. Alvarez at endobariatric.com. This is who I will be going to after the first of the year. I know several people who have traveled to him to have their surgeries.

I went with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta. They took great care of me.

Had my Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr Alejandro Lopez in Tijuana and was very happy. I was able to talk several of his sleeve patients while I was there and they also had all good to say about their surgery experience. I’m glad that I went with my gut and continued to look for other options than the obvious choices listed in this forum. If you have more questions please reach out to me.

HW 270
CW 242.9
SW 242.8
GW 135
DS Surgery date -12-8-17
I’m 42 and 5’2”