Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Halfway through liquid diet from hell

16 minutes ago, thatblondechick said:

Fair enough. I was thinking it's harmless as it's sugar free until I felt myself swallow it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

It could put air in your tummy and you don't want that.:huh:

8 minutes ago, SleeveNana2017 said:

Hi everyone I’m new here I too am having surgery December 5th we got this Creekimp13

Hello SleeveNana..:)

Five days to go and I have to give up my cocoa wheats today. This irritates me. But what irritates me more...is that I have to give up 3 of my 5 Premier Protein shakes and replace them with this horrible stuff called Impact Advanced Recovery Immunonutrtion Drink. It's supposed to aid in healing and have wonderful stuff in it...etc. etc. etc.

Which is all well and good.

BUT THE CRAP TASTES LIKE ANCHOVIES...because ANCHOVIES are the third ingredient!!!!!!!!!!

Three times a day...until surgery....I get to have VANILLA ANCHOVY drinks! YUM!!!! What did I do in a previous life to deserve this? The rings of hell just keep sinking and getting hotter! LOLOLOLOL

On the plus side! Yesterday I found out that my surgeon only expects me to be in the hospital overnight, one night.

Also...on the day before surgery....I get to carb load with like 30 ounces of white grape juice and take nausea meds ahead of the surgery. Oh! and I get a touch of Xanax while waiting cause I'm a nervous nelly. LOL.

I was also informed that I'll be taking 10 sips to drink one ounce of Water from a tiny cup every hour after surgery...I'll be taking ten little walks, one per hour after surgery, and will be expected to suck on this plastic thing that's made to help clear your lungs after anesthetic...ten times an hour. Rule of 10. At least they kept it simple?

My surgeon gave a really terrific seminar about what to expect, and all of our little "jobs" after surgery to get the best outcome and get out of the hospital.

Was very relieved to learn I would not have a urinary catheter and wouldn't have to do any bowel prep. They're telling me they'll get me up to go pee...a good incentive to get out of bed.

Also cool...my husband is welcome to stay the night in the room and they'll have a cot for him. I probably won't have him do this cause he'll work the next day until I call to be picked up. Also, my puppy does like to go outside. But I love that he's welcome and that I could change my mind if i'm feeling needy. LOL.

Getting VERY close folks! Going to see my nutritionist this afternoon for a class on how to know when to move to the next level or food reintroduction. Have already been told Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks only until the one week recheck....but she's gonna talk about the next few stages and give us advice about strategies for what to try first, how much, etc.

I met the two other ladies having surgery on the day I am....nice girls! Will visit with them a little more at class today since we'll be roaming the halls at the same time.

Also cool...we get a 24 hour/7 day a week hotline for all questions and concerns...that is staffed by my bariatric center. Local people who know exactly what my case is. I loved this.

Oh! And my surgeon hasn't had a "leak" post surgical in over seven years. And he's done over 3000 procedures in his career.

I feel like I'm in very good hands. Feeling good! (in spite of vanilla anchovy hell) LOL:)

Wow @Creekimp13this is all great to read and know about. What is the reason behind switching out your Protein Drinks for the nasty anchovy stuff? I've never heard of that.

In other news, I've lost a half pound every day this week, doing my "modified" liquid diet, which means I'm officially 10 lbs down since my initial consult and puts me safely in the "lose 1-2 lbs/week" range that my surgeon wanted. My pre-op appointment with him is next Wednesday so I'm feeling good about what I've accomplished. Now let's just keep our fingers crossed for my damn insurance approval...

Kaydo...it's supposed to aid in recovery after surgery. Boosts your immune system and provides lots of nutrition for rebuilding tissues. My Bariatric groups makes everyone use it the last five days before surgery.

Here's the sales pitch on the box:

About the product
  • Impact Advanced Immunonutrition Drink is a unique beverage specially formulated with 18 grams of Protein and 24 essential nutrients per serving to help support the body's unique nutrient needs before and after major surgery.
  • Impact formulas have been studied in dozens of clinical trials and thousands of patients, and have been shown to help promoted better outcomes in patients undergoing major surgery.

it's only to be used under medical supervision. Not something you should drink for maintenance. Just for surgeries. I have no idea if it's good stuff or not...if it makes a difference or if it's mostly hype......but the research behind my center's protocol was developed with University of Michigan (awesome medical research university) and they haven't steered me wrong yet....so I'm doing what I'm told.

Edited by Creekimp13

Interesting. I'm feeling grateful that my surgeon doesn't require this (at least, not that I know of) because I hate fish!

It's also fascinating to me how every surgeon/center does things a little differently. Good luck with your 5 day countdown!

sounds ... very..... tasty.

But hey everytime you take one, you are a step closer to surgery!

I will have my surgery in 18 days, liquid diet is "less" bad but still sucks. I get home wanting all kind of "delicious" greasy food. I crave them sooooo bad. But the good news in in 10 days I lost 10lbs! hoping to lose 10 more before surgery but if I don't it's fine too.

I am getting my surgery in February hopefully but the more I read these posts the more scared I am! It sounds like everyone reacts differently to the surgery.

1 hour ago, BrittneyH said:

I am getting my surgery in February hopefully but the more I read these posts the more scared I am! It sounds like everyone reacts differently to the surgery.

Don't worry Brittney, you will be fine. :)

UPDATE ON vanilla ANCHOVY SHAKES****

Ok, yes they're disgusting. Horrible, in fact.

BUT...and this is a big BUT.... I feel SO much better than I have since starting the liquid diet. My brain fog is much better...just night and day. I'm not concerned about being lightheaded driving anymore...I feel like myself.

So while I don't like the taste of the fishy torture gulps.... they've made me feel so darned good, I have to say I like them.

Just figured good news deserved a mention:)

You are a champ. Doing great! I found the first couple of days tough. I got headaches which is supposed to be from my body releasing toxins in the fat. By day 3 or 4 they were gone. But I was going to the bathroom so much that I thought I had a uti. My doctor did a urine test and it was clean...but with lots of ketones. She theorized that my bladder was inflamed from all of the extra urination.
By day 7 I was getting very tired. My energy was getting lower and I needed a nap to get through the day. That last week was a blur. Getting everything ready and being excited, I don't remember being hungry.
I did not have to do the vanilla anchovy shakes...thankfully...they sound awful.
I'm proud for you! Keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

You are a champ. Doing great! I found the first couple of days tough. I got headaches which is supposed to be from my body releasing toxins in the fat. By day 3 or 4 they were gone. But I was going to the bathroom so much that I thought I had a uti. My doctor did a urine test and it was clean...but with lots of ketones. She theorized that my bladder was inflamed from all of the extra urination.
By day 7 I was getting very tired. My energy was getting lower and I needed a nap to get through the day. That last week was a blur. Getting everything ready and being excited, I don't remember being hungry.
I did not have to do the vanilla anchovy shakes...thankfully...they sound awful.
I'm proud for you! Keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m two days post op and I didn’t have to drink those weird fish drinks. And those walks after surgery are the best. And that breathing thing really does help. My best friend stayed the night with me and got a couch to lay on for the whole night but they provided pillows and a blanket but we had our night nurses on a routine. I had them come in wake me up and let me use the restroom then we’d go for a walk and then I’d come and take a nap till it was time again for me to go for another pee/ walk.