Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to plan ahead (Holiday with in laws)

We will be visiting family for Christmas this year and I will be at the solid foods stage by then. They are all about the food, their cooking means so much to them if you don’t have something then they will get upset. I’ve looked up most of the nutritional info on the foods and have found some I can eat and others to avoid. The ones I am most unsure of is lumpia (egg rolls) because of the wrapper and pancit because it is noodles. I’m concerned the noodles or wrapper might get hung up or swell up, what do you think? I can bypass them, no problem, but asking just to make sure.

Please don’t think I am asking because I want to return to the foods that made me fat. I didn’t do all of this just to jump into bad habits. I’m going to be there a week and want to make good decisions while I am there. If I have a plan, I can avoid things that won’t work. I’ve done this same thing with Restaraunt’s and fast food joints incase my family decides to go out. I am not allowed to cook while I am there so it’s their food or Protein Shakes.< /p>

Have a great day!

Amanda

HW 248 CW 230 SW 231 ASW 239

Surgery Date: 11/21/2017.

Goal weight 150’ish 🤞🏼

This is a hard one to answer because whether you can eat those things really depends on your doctor's plan and also what you personally can tolerate. I can eat anything with no problems, but I know that's not true for everybody. If you have tried them before you go, I don't see an issue with eating a small amount. If this will be the first time you have had an egg roll or noodles, then you might want to skip them just in case they make you ill.

I know that I had to pick and choose what I ate at Thanksgiving - there's just not room for everything! If that's the case with your holiday meal, too, maybe skip the things you haven't tried yet and eat the things you know you can tolerate.

Thank you, that’s what I will do[emoji1360] I will be on solids just before we leave, I don’t think I will have a chance to try those things before going. I really don’t want to have to throw it up, seems easier to just avoid it. Thank you [emoji16]

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]
Goal weight 150’ish 🤞🏼

54 minutes ago, confusedturtle3 said:

We will be visiting family for Christmas this year and I will be at the solid foods stage by then. They are all about the food, their cooking means so much to them if you don’t have something then they will get upset. I’ve looked up most of the nutritional info on the foods and have found some I can eat and others to avoid. The ones I am most unsure of is lumpia (egg rolls) because of the wrapper and pancit because it is noodles. I’m concerned the noodles or wrapper might get hung up or swell up, what do you think? I can bypass them, no problem, but asking just to make sure.

Please don’t think I am asking because I want to return to the foods that made me fat. I didn’t do all of this just to jump into bad habits. I’m going to be there a week and want to make good decisions while I am there. If I have a plan, I can avoid things that won’t work. I’ve done this same thing with Restaraunt’s and fast food joints incase my family decides to go out. I am not allowed to cook while I am there so it’s their food or Protein Shakes.

Have a great day!

Amanda

Goal weight 150’ish 🤞🏼

Planning ahead for unknow food that's going to be at your family's house is hard. Stick to eating a Protein and vegetable choice. You can always grocery shop and make a dish/appetizer you can eat and the family can enjoy. Deviled eggs, meat and cheese plate, veggie tray. Be creative...

Restaurants I look up the menus online before I go. I can usually find a protein and vegetable most places.

I might try the deviled eggs platter, with a meat & cheese platter are we allowed to eat crackers? I’m assuming we can’t because they expand in our new stomachs, but I never thought to ask. I guess I just wrote them off as being bread like and a no-no lol.

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]
Goal weight 150’ish 🤞🏼

3 hours ago, confusedturtle3 said:

I might try the deviled eggs platter, with a meat & cheese platter are we allowed to eat crackers? I’m assuming we can’t because they expand in our new stomachs, but I never thought to ask. I guess I just wrote them off as being bread like and a no-no lol.

Have a great day!
Amanda
Goal weight 150’ish 🤞🏼

I make my tray with meats, cheese, raspberries and almonds.

No crackers - if you place crackers out for your family or nuts on the tray...There is no need for you to eat them them. You can enjoy the other items that are Protein packed.

I use parmesan cheese crisps instead of crackers. You can make your own or buy them.

Step 1

Preheat oven to 400°.

Step 2

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon cheese by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Spread each mound to a 2-inch diameter. Sprinkle mounds with pepper. Bake at 400° for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool completely on baking sheet. Remove from baking sheet using a thin spatula.

2d03588dcd5132c80c347a19bf4c747a--cured-meat-platter-cheese-and-meat-platter.jpg

images.jpg

5788817b7e9ab35e90f53022e13c44c1.png

No crackers - if you place crackers out for your family or nuts on the tray...There is no need for you to eat them them. You can enjoy the other items that are Protein packed.
I use parmesan cheese crisps instead of crackers. You can make your own or buy them.
Step 1 Preheat oven to 400°.
Step 2 Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon cheese by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Spread each mound to a 2-inch diameter. Sprinkle mounds with pepper. Bake at 400° for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool completely on baking sheet. Remove from baking sheet using a thin spatula.

2d03588dcd5132c80c347a19bf4c747a--cured-meat-platter-cheese-and-meat-platter.jpg.bcdb5f31f72779cdbed93d3762b9cfd0.jpg
images.jpg.8b53f65a30ab80746f25e4379571738c.jpg
5788817b7e9ab35e90f53022e13c44c1.png.58c71722d183654ee86f5c9afde773f5.png

Awesome! I want all of that now [emoji23] but I will definitely bring that to the parties! Thank you so much [emoji177]

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]
Goal weight 150’ish 🤞🏼

I've had no issue tolerating anything thus far except for eggs so if you will be able to tolerate it depends on your stomach really. I took a family vacation 2 weeks after I started solids with my in-laws, sister in law, brother in law, my husband and our kids from NY to Florida and it was difficult to plan ahead but I found that if I stick to Protein first there is usually an option.

Also crackers are allowed on my plan so again, it all depends on your specific diet plan. I will eat crackers on occasion with no issues if I need a little starch in my diet.

I’m three weeks out of surgery and I’m allowed 2 crackers with low fat spreadable cheese or nut butter as a snack. When I dine out I try Soup or fish with vegetables. Have a great Christmas [emoji319]

I told my husband that as soon as I am cleared for solids I want to try some of these things, that way if I get sick here I can avoid them when we get there. I will ask my doctor about the crackers. I’m thinking they could be a trigger for me though so probably not a great idea.

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]
Goal weight 150’ish 🤞🏼

Step 1 Preheat oven to 400°.
Step 2 Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon cheese by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Spread each mound to a 2-inch diameter. Sprinkle mounds with pepper. Bake at 400° for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool completely on baking sheet. Remove from baking sheet using a thin spatula.

2d03588dcd5132c80c347a19bf4c747a--cured-meat-platter-cheese-and-meat-platter.jpg.bcdb5f31f72779cdbed93d3762b9cfd0.jpg
images.jpg.8b53f65a30ab80746f25e4379571738c.jpg
5788817b7e9ab35e90f53022e13c44c1.png.58c71722d183654ee86f5c9afde773f5.png
for real, me too lol. i think i just started drooling a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app