Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11/13 was surgery and now I'm feelingly down and...

Hi all,

I read a lot of the posts here but, other than the generalities, did not see a match to the questions/feelings I am having right now I look forward to your replies.

This is probably going to be a long post so I had apologize in advance for monopolizing everyone's time. Maybe others have questions similar to mine and answers here can help more than just myself.

I had gastric sleeve on 11/13. The pre-op diet was brutal and a real mind game but I knew I would shortly be on my way to a healthier lifestyle so it was, for me, fairly easy to push through.

Surgery itself went extremely well. I was home the next day and off all pain meds two days later. I realize that is not completely typical so I am appreciative of the seeming simplicity of my procedure.

So, I have been on the full liquids since returning home. The first few days were OK and each day since I have been gradually moving up my Protein numbers as well as my Water intake volume.

"Sipping" is something I've never done! To help with that, I purchased a whole bunch of 1 ounce plastic "shot" glasses. It was less than 20 bucks for 500 on Amazon and I figured those little suckers would help me stay focused on taking small sips. I was right.

For the last 10 days I have basically been following this plan in one form or another.

As soon as I get up I start with either protein or water.

- I pour 1/2 of 1 Premier Protein container in to five 1 ounce cups. I proceed to drink a 1 ounce cup every 6-7 minutes using a repeating timer to keep me honest. Then I wait 20 minutes and start the same process with approximately 8-10 1 ounce water "shots."I am then wait 30 minutes and go back to protein then wait 20 minutes then go back to water.

--It's not a perfect system especially when I am at work, but I generally stay on a good schedule and by the end of the day I am able to reach my 60 g of protein and I have been getting closer to my 48 ounces of water.

FYI, I started out, like most everyone on here I guess, extremely obese. I nearly tipped 400 pounds on the scale at my heaviest and the day of surgery I weighed 384. I never had a problem losing big chunks of weight but keeping it off was a whole different story. I understand the surgery is only a starting point and most of my changes need to be mental, mixed in with some extra exercise too.

I am planning nothing but winning, this time for life, but I am worried that I'm doing something wrong or not doing something exactly like I should be because I just don't feel "right "

The first 10 days post op were fine. Sure, my mental hunger went off every five minutes as commercials on TV and other triggers would trick my mind into thinking I was hungry when I really was not at all.

I did not waver and have not wavered. I am greatly looking forward to Monday when I start my puréed food stage. At least that will be something tangible.

Well, the last two days or so I have not changed anything and yet my stomach has been, I don't know how to describe it, maybe bloated? Also, these last two days I have also been having worse reflux then anytime post-op and I'm also fighting to get to my water and protein goals as it has become tiresome and tedious since I'm not actually hungry.

So, here is my first actual question. After reading the above, do you think I am doing something wrong? I'm very discouraged right now maybe even a little depressed and I just don't feel right. I feel like I'm doing something wrong or things aren't going to like they're supposed to going you or I am not on the right track. I don't know exactly how to explain it better other than to say I'm pretty sure it's just all in my head I can't escape the feelings of negativity

I don't have any pain per se, except for the new newly found acid reflux. I'm not really going number two yet (TMI?) but I'm not sure if that's just normal. I'm not "eating" anything so really what's there to come out of that end! Don't get me wrong, I have been "going "every day or two, but the number twos are really just nothingness and basically just liquid. It's not like I have diarrhea, it's just that when I do go there's nothing really there.

I know it's a long long road but right now it just seems like I am not doing something I should be because when I read a lot of the message board, I hear people having a few problems that I have not had. Is it just because I have not even started my Vitamins or puréed food stage yet (Monday!)? I'm worried that I might be drinking too much or drinking too fast because it doesn't "feel" like I am losing any weight or that my stomach is any smaller than it used to be.

I have not had any throat nor stomach restrictions nor feelings of being grossly overfull. Maybe I am just overreacting need to start the next stage of this process before I can't shake the feeling that I am doing something wrong.

I want so badly to do this right and finally win at this decades long struggle.

Thank you.

You aren't doing anything wrong.

Bloating is likely from the anesthetic and the air they pump into the abdominal cavity. PLUS - you could be constipated even though you are getting 'liquid' stools, so to speak. You may want to ask your surgeon about stool softeners or suppositories. Anesthetic sort of puts the intestines to sleep for awhile plus whey Protein is just plain constipating (for me anyway).

In these early stages, you do not have to wait the 30 minutes to drink Water or other liquids, the most important part is getting a lot of fluids other than Protein Shakes because the intestines are using it to digest the protein shakes and you can get dehydrated even if you are coming close to the fluid goals. Don't be so hard on yourself, and the weight will fluctuate a lot while you are healing, maybe even gain a little, or stall.

Please walk around frequently if you can during work breaks, that helps the digestive system get moving as well as just a good habit to get into.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Did the doc give you meds for the acid reflux, I had a month of meds for that when I went home. I felt the same way about how much I ate at 2 weeks but you will eat less when you get on more solid meals. I still eat every 2 hours but I only eat 1/2 cup at a time. liquids go right through you. For #2 at your stage you will be pooping like a deer since your not eating much substance. Ask your doctor but you should be able to have Mirlax

I think you are constipated. Your body may need more Water.

I was sleeved on 11/16 and am still on full liquids. I have been meeting my Protein goals but missed my water target for 2 days. I noticed because I felt bloated. I noticed that I have a BM every 2 days or so but didn't go when I was dehydrated. A few hours after I upped my water intake, BM.

The BMs have been small and squishy, but I feel bloating when I haven't gone.

I know every surgeon is different, mine recommended 75-90g protein and 64oz water. So maybe up your water and see if it helps? It can't hurt.

I was living laxatives from my primary care doctor to have after surgery to get me going. Consider that.

Your not doing anything wrong you will feel restriction when on dense Protein. If you feel something is wrong inside speak to your doctor.

And feeling down.. well alot of us did. I did but wasn't sure why it's abit adjustment. My sickness was worse in pureephase and I was okay when I started solids. Keep working at it ;)

I was given ppi and I'm on it for 18 months

honestly lay off the Protein for a few days. while you can dehydrate you cant starve to death in 24 to 36 hours so cut the protein in half for a while and just keep hydrated. add the protein back slowly over a few weeks after you feel better. its just not that vital so early in the process and is hard on you at this stage.

I had a bypass so some things might be different but in the beginning they are very similar. I came home 12lbs heavier than when I went in. I was full of Fluid. I had no trouble drinking but I found the little cups a bit too much like a shot lol while in hospital I had no problem going to the toilet but when I got home no movement for 7 days. I started to feel swollen and nauseous so they did a CT and found I was impacted further in and gave me an enema. It's happened a few times because I had some other surgeries 7 weeks out and the bowel just shuts down. To keep it moving if you find you are prone to Constipation you need to get your fluids in and a stool softener like lactulose Syrup. I now take a powdered one I drink twice a day. Some people try pear or prune juice or milk of magnesia to wake it up. I was given Pariet for reflux for 3 months so I've just stopped it. I had a bit of depression in the beginning and the surgeon told me its quite common and quite normal. You have been through a big surgery even though laproscopic surgery makes it seem less severe it is a big shock to the system. Hang in there trust the process and don't give up. I was about your weight and I have lost 112lbs in 16 weeks. Seemed impossible after gaining 12lbs in hospital and being totally blocked up :)

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks Everyone!

I am feeling much better today. I called the doc and he said to try Prilosec for the reflux and it worked! Also, I pushed the water/fluids hard yesterday and cut back on Protein and low and behold...movement. My first follow up with the doc is Thursday and I am writing down my questions so I don't forget what to ask.

Thanks for your help and positive comments. I know it's a long, neh, lifelong journey, it's just been tough these first 2 weeks.

Thanks...again.