Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk to Me About Tipping the Valet

I am a small town Iowa girl. The only people we tip around here are the waitress and the delivery driver. I have seen people mention tipping the valet on her. How much do you tip at a time? Is there anyone else I need to be prepared to tip? Do o tip anyone at the hotel? At the hospital? Help?

I found there was a ton of people to tip. The valets at the hospital (there are several), and the valet at the hotel.

Then there are the drivers to and from the airport. And tipping at the restaurants and cab drivers (and cab fares). And the hotel maid when you leave.

For the most part, you'll want to bring lots of small bills.. ones, fives, and tens will be enough for the majority of that list.

What would be nice is if Bariatric Pal (for Dr. Illan) would collect the tips for the hospital valets when you get there, so you aren't having to worry about it while sick. By time you leave for the hotel your brain is more clear and it's easier to handle "business".

If you have a companion, they will help them get food, etc. They will also walk with you as you are pacing the halls getting your gas bubbles worked out. (They are there for safety and companionship).

I know Dr. Illan is (or already has) moved locations, and so I was at the Oasis of Hope hospital. I don't know how the new one is set up.

I'm glad I live in a country where the minimum wage is decided by a judge or tribunal not by some boss.

In Australia, tipping is almost unknown, because people are generally paid a living wage. The current minimum since Aug 3rd, 2017 is $18.29 per hour (or $694.90 per week for adults working the 38 hour maximum).

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-will-help/templates-and-guides/fact-sheets/minimum-workplace-entitlements/minimum-wages#current-national-minimum-wage

Barbers, Taxi-drivers, waiters, service-people are all relatively well-paid. 95% of people do a good to excellent job for their wage or salary and tips and graft are not required.

Tips must be tough on people who cannot afford to pay others tips or service charges.

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

In Tijuana, there are the "haves and have nots". One of the valets explained that construction workers could earn as little as ... I wanna say $5.00 a day. And from the stores we visited, cost of living isn't THAT cheap.. so basically they'd have to work most of a day just to afford a gallon of milk ($2 or $3 a gallon I think). (My memory is usually better, but it was a whirlwind, just a couple days postop, so I just remember the gist of the conversation).

Not everyone earns so little.. but yeah... if there is a minimum wage, it isn't enough for a person to live on. A hundred bucks for tipping is enough, and considering the combined expenses of the surgery, it's not unreasonable.