Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all. I went to the store today and saw all the tables filled with pastries, pies, cakes, and cupcakes. Not to mention the carts full of food for the meal. I do not regret getting my surgery on the 15th, but I am experiencing a sharp burning pain to the left of my belly button and I am afraid I wont be able to go Black Friday shopping! I know how shallow that sounds, but since I dont really have any family near me or parents who have passed, I have really focused my excitements on Black Fridays. But now I may have to give this up this year too! I had a mini cry fest today, now I'm just bummed. But can anyone confirm this deep burning sharp pain is normal? I did text my surgeon who said its because its the largest incision and takes time to heal. I lifted my chubby frenchie to give him a bath and I'm afraid I may have pulled or torn something! Anyway thanks for reading my multi vent!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone. God Bless

I had a pain above/near my belly button when I overdid it (maybe not even lifting, but if I did too much around the house and my first day back to work even though I don't have an active job). It's the only incision I ever felt and in previous laparoscopic procedures, I had the same issue. I'm so sorry for how you're feeling. Unlike you, I HAVE regretted my surgery more than once ;) and it was just three weeks before yours.

I debated whether or not we should go see my family for the holidays and I eventually decided to come. My husband says I have been really difficult and moody and he's right but I don't feel like anything is wrong...I'm not sure what it is. All that is to say this is an emotional journey as much as a physical one and even though mine feels less emotional than some, it's pretty tough at times.

I am sure your surgeon was right in his assessment. I think you should go shopping and enjoy Black Friday! More than that, I hope your sadness is short-lived. I'm so sorry you're going through this. You did such a great thing for yourself and I hope you can find comfort/satisfaction in that.

Hey all. I went to the store today and saw all the tables filled with pastries, pies, cakes, and cupcakes. Not to mention the carts full of food for the meal. I do not regret getting my surgery on the 15th, but I am experiencing a sharp burning pain to the left of my belly button and I am afraid I wont be able to go Black Friday shopping! I know how shallow that sounds, but since I dont really have any family near me or parents who have passed, I have really focused my excitements on Black Fridays. But now I may have to give this up this year too! I had a mini cry fest today, now I'm just bummed. But can anyone confirm this deep burning sharp pain is normal? I did text my surgeon who said its because its the largest incision and takes time to heal. I lifted my chubby frenchie to give him a bath and I'm afraid I may have pulled or torn something! Anyway thanks for reading my multi vent!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone. God Bless

I feel the EXACT same way. I was sleeved 11/9 and I have the same burning sensation in the same spot. Then I twisted wrong last week and have so much pain between my rib and hip on the same side. I called my surgical team today and my nurse practitioner said it's all normal. We just had major abdominal surgery and healing is going to be painful.

I had a cry-fest today, too. Not because I'm missing out on food. But the socializing aspect. Everyone's drinking and having a great time around the holiday and I just feel so alone and sad. I don't want to sit at a bar and drink Water when I'm in pain and can't enjoy myself. I do not regret my surgery, I just wish I could heal faster so I feel more of a normal person. Getting a little depressed but I know this is temporary. I start pureed foods tomorrow and I don't even care. I'd rather just stick to water :(

8 hours ago, CamillaCallie said:

I feel the EXACT same way. I was sleeved 11/9 and I have the same burning sensation in the same spot. Then I twisted wrong last week and have so much pain between my rib and hip on the same side. I called my surgical team today and my nurse practitioner said it's all normal. We just had major abdominal surgery and healing is going to be painful.

I had a cry-fest today, too. Not because I'm missing out on food. But the socializing aspect. Everyone's drinking and having a great time around the holiday and I just feel so alone and sad. I don't want to sit at a bar and drink Water when I'm in pain and can't enjoy myself. I do not regret my surgery, I just wish I could heal faster so I feel more of a normal person. Getting a little depressed but I know this is temporary. I start pureed foods tomorrow and I don't even care. I'd rather just stick to Water :(

This is why I love this site. I dont feel alone when I find people like me! I am going to spend the day on my recliner smelling turkey cooking all day and sipping a Protein Shake. But I know that a year from now I will feel so much better! I mean who doesn't want to look better? But for me it was to feel better. I have had several back issues, knee issues and my blood pressure started to elevate. My mom passed away at 63 due to all her weight related issues. I am the thinnest one in my family at 234. I'm glad you get to start puréed foods tomorrow because you will start to feel normal somewhat. I'm going to quote my best friend when she said to me RELAX and HEAL. Take the time to let your body heal. Have a great thanksgiving and today I am most thankful for my friends here in this site, you. :)

That pain is very normal. I had the same burning pain until around week three. Hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Think about this - if you had another type of surgery during this time you would be feeling much kinder to yourself. So relax and be kind, do what you can.

If you can just participate a little you will feel a part of it and try to smile. Get dressed up a little, put on some perfume, watch the parade!!!!

(Yes that belly button incision has some extra inside stitches too and the stomach was 'tugged' out of the incision. Mine rubbed against my waistband and an interior stitch worked its way to the surface and drove me nuts)

Not to be super annoying but a young family in my area died in a house fire tuesday - mercy - and here we are alive and doing okay, we will have many other holidays.

Blessings to you all.