Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Nervous/Anxious--was this a good idea?

I am scheduled to have surgery Dec. 6th. YAHOO!!! ....I think! LOL! Anyone else 2nd guessing themselves? I'm nervous about this huge lifestyle change. Anyone else worry they will lose weight, then gain it all back? I keep telling myself I don't want to take blood pressure & cholesterol meds for the rest of my life. And I don't want to get type 2 diabetes. Plus it will be a bonus to look better, too. But then I start thinking of all the food I'll be missing. Food really is an addiction!! Am I the only one who feels this way? Advice, please!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I think its a little normal to have a little freakout of omg ... my whole life is going to change. I know when I went into labor with my kids I was a little freaked out about how it was all gonna change .. even though they were planned and very much wanted. Big changes are scary! Also you will eventually be able to eat whatever you want in moderation so don't think about the food youll miss. You can have it ... just enough to be satisfied instead of over indulging. Happy Thanksgiving!

8 hours ago, MrsO72 said:

I am scheduled to have surgery Dec. 6th. YAHOO!!! ....I think! LOL! Anyone else 2nd guessing themselves? I'm nervous about this huge lifestyle change. Anyone else worry they will lose weight, then gain it all back? I keep telling myself I don't want to take blood pressure & cholesterol meds for the rest of my life. And I don't want to get type 2 diabetes. Plus it will be a bonus to look better, too. But then I start thinking of all the food I'll be missing. food really is an addiction!! Am I the only one who feels this way? Advice, please!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I feel this way, too, I suspect its common. :-)

@Frankette Love the analogy to having kids!!!

I am scheduled to have surgery Dec. 6th. YAHOO!!! ....I think! LOL! Anyone else 2nd guessing themselves? I'm nervous about this huge lifestyle change. Anyone else worry they will lose weight, then gain it all back? I keep telling myself I don't want to take blood pressure & cholesterol meds for the rest of my life. And I don't want to get type 2 diabetes. Plus it will be a bonus to look better, too. But then I start thinking of all the [mention=321377]Frankette[/mention] Love the analogy to having kids!!!

I️ was nervous too! I️ am exactly 3 mos out and have lost 50 pounds ( including 5 preop). I️ feel totally normal and not deprived. I️ can eat anything now- just have to eat dryer cuts of meet more slowly or it feels stuck. I️ don’t feel left out of social events or office parties. I️ just make good choices and the restriction stops me. When I’m restricted I️ have no desire to eat more. At a resent Friendsgiving at work I️ chose health options , ate only what I️ could, and had a few nibbles of small bite sized Desserts. It was a great feeling watching others pig out and not wanting to join in. Also I️ have improved so much in the exercise domain. My thighs don’t bump my tummy in spin class and I’m an animal burning all those calories. Barre classes are so much easier for me now which means I️ can push myself. I’m even doing planks!! I️ feel good about how I️ look. I’m not tired and I’m happier. So yes I️ was nervous- but so thrilled of my 3 mos results. I️’m losing about 10 pounds a month which is not as quick as others but who cares. Good luck. It’s well worth it!

I️ was nervous too! I️ am exactly 3 mos out and have lost 50 pounds ( including 5 preop). I️ feel totally normal and not deprived. I️ can eat anything now- just have to eat dryer cuts of meet more slowly or it feels stuck. I️ don’t feel left out of social events or office parties. I️ just make good choices and the restriction stops me. When I’m restricted I️ have no desire to eat more. At a resent Friendsgiving at work I️ chose health options , ate only what I️ could, and had a few nibbles of small bite sized desserts. It was a great feeling watching others pig out and not wanting to join in. Also I️ have improved so much in the exercise domain. My thighs don’t bump my tummy in spin class and I’m an animal burning all those calories. Barre classes are so much easier for me now which means I️ can push myself. I’m even doing planks!! I️ feel good about how I️ look. I’m not tired and I’m happier. So yes I️ was nervous- but so thrilled of my 3 mos results. I️’m losing about 10 pounds a month which is not as quick as others but who cares. Good luck. It’s well worth it!

Ps sorry for the weird question mark signs- apparently a new bug in iPhone update! :(

I feel the same way!! my surgery day is the 6th as well and everyday I think maybe I should just cancel it... but I talk some sense into myself lol. Hopefully all the doubts go away soon. Good luck on your journey!!

14 hours ago, dreamynow said:

Ps sorry for the weird question mark signs- apparently a new bug in iPhone update! :(

Thanks for the support. It's such a huge change. But I AM READY for it! I think it's just the nerves talking. Today is the start of the 1200 calorie diet for 12 days! I've got this!! Good job to you on 50 pounds down!!! WOW!!!!

I️ was nervous too! I️ am exactly 3 mos out and have lost 50 pounds ( including 5 preop). I️ feel totally normal and not deprived. I️ can eat anything now- just have to eat dryer cuts of meet more slowly or it feels stuck. I️ don’t feel left out of social events or office parties. I️ just make good choices and the restriction stops me. When I’m restricted I️ have no desire to eat more. At a resent Friendsgiving at work I️ chose health options , ate only what I️ could, and had a few nibbles of small bite sized desserts. It was a great feeling watching others pig out and not wanting to join in. Also I️ have improved so much in the exercise domain. My thighs don’t bump my tummy in spin class and I’m an animal burning all those calories. Barre classes are so much easier for me now which means I️ can push myself. I’m even doing planks!! I️ feel good about how I️ look. I’m not tired and I’m happier. So yes I️ was nervous- but so thrilled of my 3 mos results. I️’m losing about 10 pounds a month which is not as quick as others but who cares. Good luck. It’s well worth it!

Thanks for sharing this! I’m 2 days post op and wondering what have I done ☹️

On 11/22/2017 at 6:18 AM, MrsO72 said:

Good luck Ruby! Let's keep in touch so we can "talk each other down"!!! LOL!! We can do this!! The benefits will be awesome, right??!?!! YES!!!

Yes we should!! I need someone to push me through those though days

Hi . I'm 4 months post. Normal feeling. I almost backed out. So glad I didn't. Best decision I have made. Aslong as I follow the plan I'm no longer thinking about too far in the future. And the possibilitys it won't work. I'm responsible for myself today. And I will be tommorow . And take each day as it comes. Good luck

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 4 days post-ok. I foolishly tested by taking tiny bites of food. Why did I do that? I think I'm stronger than my stomach? I am not. Lesson learned.

Food is definitely an addiction and studies are coming out left & right proving it is as bad and sometimes worse than drug addiction. We have to eat, we don't have to take drugs/ drink booze/ shop (insert addiction) to survive.

I have learned to plan for foods I love and use Portion Control. Nothing is off limits within reason. At least that's my plan when I'm able.

Stick to what's allowed, pass by what's not, and try not to give it another thought. Be proud of the right choice. Your health (and mine b/c I have all the issues & more that you listed) is far more important food.

I look at recipes and menus and think "should I?" and then remind myself nothing will truly change unless I do. Plus, like everyone says, eventually we can eat all the foods. Just have to get my mind past the first several weeks. Watching myself during the holidays while trying to lose pre-op will be HARD. And I'm going on a college visit to my alma mater 10 days before my surgery. I will want to sample all my old haunts. I hadn't planned on any "food funerals" but my brother (who's been sleeved) says that will be my time.

Hi 👋🏼- Feeling exactly the same way. My surgery is 12/4. Reading everyone's posts has been super reassuring.