Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So how long did everyone wait before they started drinking? I haven’t had any cravings for it but I was a big beer drinker before and I know I can’t have beer for a while because of the carbonation, but I was wondering about liquors. My dr says 6 weeks anyone start sooner than that?

This is an extremely popular topic this week. Ask your surgeon. What is the rush to use a blood thinning barbiturate?

If you don't feel like asking your surgeon for whatever reason and prefer the wisdom of strangers on the internet, there are 588 threads about the topic:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=alcohol&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

There's no need to try sooner than 6, weeks that's the earliest I've seen. Why the rush? No judgement you may feel sick . How far out are you. No one here will encourage you to go against your doctor's plan even if it's allowed on their plan . This community is not designed to encourage you to go against your doctor's.

This is an extremely popular topic this week. Ask your surgeon. What is the rush to use a blood thinning barbiturate?
If you don't feel like asking your surgeon for whatever reason and prefer the wisdom of strangers on the internet, there are 588 threads about the topic:
https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=alcohol&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

Oh I apologize I thought that this forum was for that.. and this is only my second day so I guess you can just not reply?

It hasn’t been a topic with my dr because I know I can’t drink carbonated drinks and we have discussed alcohol because I told him I wasn’t worried about drinking .. I’m 3 weeks out it was just a question I had for people that drank earlier

5 minutes ago, Markg17 said:

It hasn’t been a topic with my dr because I know I can’t drink carbonated drinks and we have discussed alcohol because I told him I wasn’t worried about drinking .. I’m 3 weeks out it was just a question I had for people that drank earlier

Its a bad idea, from what I've read: wait 6 months with sleeve, 12 months with bypass. Ask your surgeon next time you see him, which should be soon?

You can't wait 6 weeks? Really?

You can't wait 6 weeks? Really?

Naw I’m an alcoholic.. I’m an idiot.. yes I can wait 6 weeks I can wait a year I can wait 2 years i simply asked a question to see if anyone did it I’m so sorry that i offended anyone this app is the stupidest thing

1 hour ago, StartingFresh said:

For all the judgemental people out here.. Grow up its the holidays and people enjoy a few drinks food and family. Some have to have the drinks to deal with the first two lol

You're right, the poo-poo'ing the idea of imbibing a blood thinning barbiturate shortly after surgery on the stomach is so immature. Only the most responsible and mature amongst us consider it a good idea.

People love to throw out the words judgmental and bully so freely and quickly. How about just plain old speaking from experience and have already answered this question several times? Since I have been a member here, there have been so many people that have started drinking long before they should have. Some trips to the hospital and one death, but there are many that have had no ill effects. So if you want that drink bad enough, go for it. But don't call it grown up and don't say that people are judgmental because they say it's a bad idea.

Well.

I did not wait long. I resumed drinking about 6 months out I think. And that was a big mistake, at least for me.

Alcohol effects me differently now. If I haven’t eaten enough I get DRUNK FAST and I’ll blackout. It’s bad. I had to learn that the hard way.

It’s also takes the place of food calories because I struggle to drink and eat together so it becomes a choice between drinking or eating. And I need the food more. And you do too!! Especially early on.

I do love wine but even three years out I try and limit my alcohol intake. I’m careful about it.

I can see why you want to drink and I wouldn’t think in moderation it’s a problem. But it could possibly slow your weightloss. For me, it did not slow my weightloss but I oddly tend to lose weight when I drink. Most people gain from it.

But if you are feeling healthy I don’t see a problem with having a little in moderation here and there, maybe a Glass now and then. I’d say in the first year you can just be very cautious. and don’t let people on here bully you. There is a nice way to give advice and trollish ways. Just remember the people on here, they are all hungry and sober AF.

9 hours ago, StartingFresh said:

Really?? So much for being a "support" group..

OK, here we go again. This is an information site that members use for support, but it is first and foremost for the exchange of information. From this websites description:

Visit the world's largest weight loss surgery forums to discuss diets, procedures, and related bariatric topics.

Discussion is the primary focus.

10 hours ago, StartingFresh said:

There will be 1,000 more people asking the same question and when they do I'll still answer the same way.

lol, if your information is correct and your surgery date really was only a month ago it will be interesting if you are still here a year from now and still feel that way.

One year is what I was told. Plain and simple.

And that is a pretty good recommendation. Even more conservative than most.

I won't attempt to belittle them and act higher than mighty because nobody needs that **** in their life. You need to take that stick out if your a$$ and tone it down. Have some human compassion Ffs.

I can only assume you are talking to someone else here because I neither belittled the OP nor acted high & mighty.

7 minutes ago, StartingFresh said:

There is no need to be so rude.

Please point out where I was rude. I can accept dispassionate or curt, but I don't agree that I was rude anywhere. Rude would be telling someone to take a stick out of their rear.

Dang, just saw that you were done here so that just fell on deaf ears.

@BigViffer he said curt. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] That cracked me up. Imho you were not rude. Everyone just relax, if you don't like or disagree with someones post... skip it. Easy Peasy Sleevers [emoji106][emoji2]

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I'll chime in in case someone cares.

Research shows that bariatric patients' blood alcohol levels increase two to four times as high as typical folk after consuming the same amount of alcohol.

2-4 times! So 1 beer for us postop is equal to 2 to 4 beers preop.