Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IBS Before Sleeve Surgery?

Just wondering if anyone else, like me, had IBS prior to surgery? I still have about 5 weeks til my date, but this past week I have been struggling. Usually I am IBS-C, but sometimes is mixed, especially during times of stress, then will be IBS-D. Often when I eat - especially in the morning, it takes several hours for my system to work itself out and for me to be able to use the restroom normally, and get rid of nausea/abdominal pain. I do take several meds and supplements to help with this, but it is a daily balancing act.

During my extended pre-op diet, I have been sampling different Protein Drinks and different types of Vitamins. A lot of what I'm sampling is causing severe abdominal distress. I've been in bed for over 24 hours in pain, with a heating pad and using every tool I have. But I am really worried. Is this just going to get worse after the surgery? Am I setting myself up for even more pain and misery? I can't imagine things being worse, but I'm sure that's naive.

Has anyone else gone into this with pre-existing IBS/GERD/Other digestive issues? If so, what helped you during recovery and to get in your Protein and vitamins at first? Are you feeling better now? Do you think the surgery helped your stomach issues/made them worse/or had no real affect on them whatsoever? Thanks in advance for help/tips :) Not feeling very positive today and hating it...

I have had IBS (usually D, sometimes C) for several years, and I just had VSG on 9/21. My issues are actually A LOT better since having surgery. I will say that you're going to want to make sure you are getting in the recommended amounts of Protein and Fluid, and your doctor will probably put you on a stool softener in addition to your other medications. You may have to adjust when you start taking your bariatric Vitamins after surgery, too. Watch the amount of dairy you are having and adjust if needed. If the Protein Shakes don't work for you, try protein Water. It's very good!

I wouldn't worry too much. I think most people see an improvement in their symptoms after surgery!

1 hour ago, mamamc32 said:

I wouldn't worry too much. I think most people see an improvement in their symptoms after surgery!

Thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better! I just started panicking thinking if I can't drink the Protein Shakes or take the Vitamins, I'll end up malnourished and feel worse than now. I'm fine with Protein Bars, but obviously that's not going to work right after surgery - I hadn't really thought of Protein Water as my main source of protein, but it's kind of killing two birds with one stone :) Great tip!

Edited by Taylor5

I had IBS-d prior to my surgery on 8/9, I did have problems with Constipation after and took Miralax daily for about 6 weeks. I have had no further issues and do not miss the awful cramping and bloating, feel great now.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:04 PM, LauraAnn68 said:

I had IBS-d prior to my surgery on 8/9, I did have problems with Constipation after and took miralax daily for about 6 weeks. I have had no further issues and do not miss the awful cramping and bloating, feel great now.

That's awesome - I am so happy to hear that! (and happy for you as well, lol!} I used to take Miralax but got to where I thought it might have been causing some discomfort. Now I take Amitiza and stool softeners daily along with tons of Water. I think I will definitely buy some Miralax to have on hand just in case though, since it will be easy to mix/swallow. Thanks for the tip, and I hope I am as lucky as you to be done with this torture for good at some point!!

I had IBS prior to surgery. During the liquid diet I learned that I was lactose intolerant and had to switch to lactose free milk for my shakes. I'm now sure that was a leading cause of my IBS all along.

I'm 4 days post surgery and my digestive tract seems to be working 100%. If that changes... I'll update this post.

3 hours ago, Frickets said:

During the liquid diet I learned that I was lactose intolerant and had to switch to lactose free milk for my shakes. I'm now sure that was a leading cause of my IBS all along.

I do okay on small amounts of dairy. But most of the premade shakes I've been sampling (just to know for the first few weeks post-op) are made with milk. I made my own with rice milk and Protein Powder, which I used to tolerate pretty well, but still had symptoms. Then I tried Lactaid before a bottled shake but that didn't seem to work. So, my next step is trying the lactose free milk. Beyond that I'm going with the advice I got to go with Protein Water. I got some of the flavored liquid mixes from the BPal store, and it went well. Thanks for the info on your experience, and please, definitely keep me/us updated! Good luck with your recovery :)

I had IBS to the point that I could not go anywhere for fear of having an accident. After surgery, I have had zero issues. In fact, I have not had a bowel movement for over 3 days but I am eating better foods with better nutrients and my body is loving it.

It sounds like this is definitely helpful for those suffering from IBS-D before surgery. My problem is I'm more of a mixed bag. In general I have been IBS-C for as long as I can remember, and take a prescription medication as well as Probiotics and stool softeners daily to help with that. But certain foods/supplements such as too much dairy, too much Vitamin D, stress, certain activities (improper alignment of the stars, lol) tend to send me off in the other direction and then I am chained to the house with cramping and constant bathroom trips. Either way, abdominal pain and intermittent nausea are frequent friends. I'm hopeful from some of the comments that it can help improve IBS-C as well, but with some people not going for days at a time...that's definitely not a result I can wish for. I do understand why it comes as a relief to some though :)