Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

never made it to goal with some regain.

Good morning everyone.

I am nearing 6 years post VSG I have never made it to goal. I have many regrets in life but my children are not one of them. My starting weight was 488.5 and I managed to make it down to 350lbs my first year. the second year post op I found out I was pregnant and gained 83lbs. I lost a little weight after pregnancy, but 10 months after having my first child I was pregnant again and gained 15 pounds. and 6 months later was pregnant again but lost that pregnancy. I was dealing with a rough time, 5 months after my miscarriage my second child was diagnose with type 1 diabetes and the weight has just been pouring on from there. I tried Keto the past month and gained 10 lbs and now I am adding more activity in my day with a 30 day fitness challenge. I am on day 2 and feeling like wanting to give up. maybe I wasn't meant to be smaller?. I have never known a day where I weighed a normal weight for someone my height or age.

ok enough with the pity party, I guess I am just curious to know if there are others like me who have a high BMI and have more than 150lbs to lose? Or a High BMI that has never made it goal and having some regain issues?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

((hugs)) Sorry about your miscarriage and happy about your 2 children. If it were me, I would do 2 things now.

1. Go see my WLsurgeon and get them to send me to a nutritionist and a therapist in that order. Start the 6 month documentation with the therapist now. Get to finally working on the eating behaviors that are keeping me heavy and down. Get all of my blood work done to r/o thyroid, endocrine issues and/or underlying medical conditions.

2. Start working on getting an approval for revision to DS and find a surgeon in my network that can do that revision surgery--not all surgeons will or can do revisions to DS or RNY. Honestly, at this present weight and with the problems you had losing to goal with the VSG and if it was me, I'd go nuclear on my weight. DS is THEEEEEEEE most effective wl tool from a malabsorption standpoint--especially given what I think may also be the emotional/psychological eating issues associated with the regain and present weight.

BTW, no judgement here. We all deal with emotional/behavioral issues with food relationships that simply MUST be fixed if we want to have any hope of losing and keeping the weight off long term.

I lost 230 lbs, but admittedly I worked my a$$ off to do it. Many people at 300+ don't make it to normal weight - but losing 100 or 150 lbs is still a spectacular loss! I agree with the above poster - I might look into a DS if I were in your situation. You may need the malabsorption.

I agree with Fluffy's post about getting in touch with a weight loss surgery clinic and seeing what else you can do. Before my surgery, my doctor went over all the options with me and what statistics show in recent years for the success rate of each. It was eye opening. I went in wanting the VSG, but statistically, I probably wouldn't lose as much as I wanted to with that surgery and there is a higher risk of regain over time. I can't remember the numbers now, but it was explained like "if you have 200 lbs to lose, over the long term you can expect to lose about 60% of that with VSG, 75% of that with GBP, and 85% of that with DS". The DS had the highest success rate at reversing type 2 diabetes.

This is not to say that people don't do better than those statistics because plenty do, but it seems to me that someone who has more to lose would be better served by going with one of the malapsorptive surgeries.

Don't give up. You can do this, you just need to find the right option for you and a supportive weight loss clinic. Keep going with your fitness challenge, but if it's too difficult right now, modify it so that it fits your needs. Doing something is better than nothing.

Even with a Duodenal Switch, it still comes down to calories in vs. calories out. DS patients can also out-eat their procedures over time. The DS very well may be a great option, along with dietary education and management.

I agree that you need to get those tests Fluffy mentioned. Hormonal imbalances can make metabolisms pitifully slow.

While you are checking into your options, start tracking. Weigh every morsel of calorie containing food and drink that you consume. See where you are at.

It is possible to overeat on Keto diets as well, so for some people, they STILL have to count.

As the post said above, I would look into a nutritionist. When I was in the early stages of going for my surgery, I had to pay 300 dollars for lifetime support if I need it, I am not sure if that is offered everywhere. It is still not to late to reel yourself back in! Count your calories and food and look into leslie sansone! Her exercises are on youtube and I have been using them since I started this and I am down almost 100 on my own before surgery. You just have to stay dedicated! I know it is hard, but exercise at night when the kiddos are in bed if you have to!

((hugs)) Sorry about your miscarriage and happy about your 2 children. If it were me, I would do 2 things now.
1. Go see my WLsurgeon and get them to send me to a nutritionist and a therapist in that order. Start the 6 month documentation with the therapist now. Get to finally working on the eating behaviors that are keeping me heavy and down. Get all of my blood work done to r/o thyroid, endocrine issues and/or underlying medical conditions.
2. Start working on getting an approval for revision to DS and find a surgeon in my network that can do that revision surgery--not all surgeons will or can do revisions to DS or RNY. Honestly, at this present weight and with the problems you had losing to goal with the VSG and if it was me, I'd go nuclear on my weight. DS is THEEEEEEEE most effective wl tool from a malabsorption standpoint--especially given what I think may also be the emotional/psychological eating issues associated with the regain and present weight.
BTW, no judgement here. We all deal with emotional/behavioral issues with food relationships that simply MUST be fixed if we want to have any hope of losing and keeping the weight off long term.

I have been making attempts for the past few months I think since July. I am now seeing my teams therapist. so I think we might be on the right track. i am working on my relationship with food, it's hard but I know I will get it together. Thank you so much for responding. Happy holidays to you.

Just now, Mrs Elliott8791 said:

I have been making attempts for the past few months I think since July. I am now seeing my teams therapist. so I think we might be on the right track. i am working on my relationship with food, it's hard but I know I will get it together. Thank you so much for responding. Happy holidays to you.

((HUGE hugs!)) So proud of you. It sounds like you're feeling better?? Happy holidays sweetie!!

I lost 230 lbs, but admittedly I worked my a$$ off to do it. Many people at 300+ don't make it to normal weight - but losing 100 or 150 lbs is still a spectacular loss! I agree with the above poster - I might look into a DS if I were in your situation. You may need the malabsorption.

Thank you, I was thinking about reaching out to a surgeon who does it he is about three hours away from where I live. Might be worth the journey and see. Thank you for responding. Happy Holidays!

I agree with Fluffy's post about getting in touch with a weight loss surgery clinic and seeing what else you can do. Before my surgery, my doctor went over all the options with me and what statistics show in recent years for the success rate of each. It was eye opening. I went in wanting the VSG, but statistically, I probably wouldn't lose as much as I wanted to with that surgery and there is a higher risk of regain over time. I can't remember the numbers now, but it was explained like "if you have 200 lbs to lose, over the long term you can expect to lose about 60% of that with VSG, 75% of that with GBP, and 85% of that with DS". The DS had the highest success rate at reversing type 2 diabetes.
This is not to say that people don't do better than those statistics because plenty do, but it seems to me that someone who has more to lose would be better served by going with one of the malapsorptive surgeries.
Don't give up. You can do this, you just need to find the right option for you and a supportive weight loss clinic. Keep going with your fitness challenge, but if it's too difficult right now, modify it so that it fits your needs. Doing something is better than nothing.

Thank you For responding. I have reached out to me team and we are moving forward. I just need to make sure I follow my nuts suggestions and make my appointments.thank you again I agree doing something is better than nothing. Happy Holidays! I fell off on the fitness challenge but picked right back up I am proud of myself.

Even with a Duodenal Switch, it still comes down to calories in vs. calories out. DS patients can also out-eat their procedures over time. The DS very well may be a great option, along with dietary education and management.
I agree that you need to get those tests Fluffy mentioned. Hormonal imbalances can make metabolisms pitifully slow.
While you are checking into your options, start tracking. Weigh every morsel of calorie containing food and drink that you consume. See where you are at.
It is possible to overeat on Keto diets as well, so for some people, they STILL have to count.

Will do I am having lots of tests done by my primary and seeing a behavioral therapist and working on slowing down my eating and going back to basics.

As the post said above, I would look into a nutritionist. When I was in the early stages of going for my surgery, I had to pay 300 dollars for lifetime support if I need it, I am not sure if that is offered everywhere. It is still not to late to reel yourself back in! Count your calories and food and look into leslie sansone! Her exercises are on youtube and I have been using them since I started this and I am down almost 100 on my own before surgery. You just have to stay dedicated! I know it is hard, but exercise at night when the kiddos are in bed if you have to!

yep my team is with me for the long haul I just needed to make those steps to get back there. I am seeing a Nut and I am seeing a behavioral therapist and going to my primary to make sure I get to where I need to be. congrats on the 100 lbs

((HUGE hugs!)) So proud of you. It sounds like you're feeling better?? Happy holidays sweetie!!

I am feeling much better, thank you.

I never hit my goal weight either, and I've regained since then. Not sure how much: I'm afraid to look at the scale. I hope it's only 15, but I think it might be closer to 25 or 30. I've gotten addicted to processed carbs again, so I need to go off them, but it's tough.

I was near perfect on my diet for a year, but never did any exercise. I think that really prevented me from reaching my goal. I'm feeting very motivated to exercise now; in fact, I'm going tomorrow to get a gym membership. (I do much better at exercise with a gym membership than working out at home.)

I'd like to do Keto because it's so effective, but since the surgery, my body really does not like it when I eat much fat. Also, there aren't a lot of Protein sources I like, so I'm thinking about looking into a more plant based diet. I like the idea of fruits, vegetables, Beans, string cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, and some meat here and there. I should go back to Protein Shakes, but I drank so many for so long that I'm really tired of them. I think I'll start the Pound of Cure diet and see where it takes me.

Anyway, good luck to you! It's tough when it seems that everyone else has been so successful, but tomorrow is another chance at success.