Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't think that you can get too much Protein because your pouch is so small. The protein builds muscle and protects against loose skin and protects against Hair loss. I use GNC Amp 60 original Protein Powder and it has a statement on the label which says that the amino acid L-Carnitine is responsible for burning the fat and converting it to lean muscle mass. I really like that statement!

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery was Sep 6th and I have lost 60 pounds so far. I was told to sip on a Protein Shake throughout the day (do not use it for meal replacement) until I was able to get 60 grams of Protein per day and then to get off the Protein Shakes because it will slow the weight loss. I was also told to get off "SLIDER" food as of my 2 month follow up. I asked what Slider food was and was told it is anything with liquid type consistency that slides right through my pouch without stopping (I was eating cottage cheese for Breakfast and lunch and they want me to eat more solid food). They wanted me to eat more solid food so it would stay in my stomach longer and I would get more of the nutrients from the foods I was eating.

111217_5th.jpg

Hello Dathvick, first of all, you look fabulous! I don't like the shakes but as a female I have a few reasons to continue them . I make them with milk. I have Osteoporosis in my spine and hips. Also when I slowed down on the shakes my hair is coming out in brushfuls! Also I'm losing muscle mass. My doctor also says not to eat slider foods. But I have another problem where I lose my appetite for a whole day at a time. So Doc says when this happens,take the shake. I'm supposed to eat my meal and take the shake between meals. I think that the shakes do slow down the weight loss. But I'm happy with my loss so far. My max weight was 264 and day of surgery 248 pounds. Today I weighed exactly 200! I'm so happy. I don't see my surgeon until January. Thank you so much for your advice and the pictures.

I could never get used to the Protein Shake mix. You may want to try the Premier Protein shakes. I like the chocolate better than all the other flavors and because they are ready to drink they are very convenient.

My surgery is Dec 6th but my husbands surgery was last Dec he is 5lbs from his goal weight. He drinks at least 2 shakes a day. He lost all his weight in the 1st 6-8 month's. Protein is very important for you health, muscles and weight loss. There is a calculator app that will tell you how much protien you need for your specs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m in my first two weeks liquid only. Is it possible to get too much Protein? That might endure weight lose?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My surgeon told me to keep my protein between 70 and 80 grams a day. He did tell me that more than that would slow weight loss. I followed his recommendation and had great results. I never had more than 2 shakes a day in the early weeks, and it took me all day to get them down. When I was able I added one more thing a day, either a yogurt or an egg. I was at least 2 months out before I could consume more than that daily.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon told me to keep my Protein between 70 and 80 grams a day. He did tell me that more than that would slow weight loss. I followed his recommendation and had great results. I never had more than 2 shakes a day in the early weeks, and it took me all day to get them down. When I was able I added one more thing a day, either a yogurt or an egg. I was at least 2 months out before I could consume more than that daily.

Thanks so much

Thanks so much

You are welcome. Every surgeon gives different advice though, it's confusing. Mine says one shake a day is fine forever to help get Protein in. I am over a year out and still have an afternoon Premier shake with coffee to boost my protein. I can't eat much solid food, my restriction is still very tight.
Take care and good luck!!!

You are so right! The same doctor will tell different patients different instructions because we are not carbon copies of each other. I can only consume 46 grams of Protein daily due to end stage kidney disease. If I go much higher than that my blood chemistries go crazy. So my advice is to check with your doctor about your specific requirements.