Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can possibly go wrong?

Bellabloom, did you have gastric sleeve or Roux-en-Y?
I have read there are more lifetime side effects associated with Roux-en-Y. More danger of dumping, more danger of Vitamin deficiency.

I had Roux-en-y first. I then had a revision to sleeve due to complications from the rny. So my case is a bit more complicated than most. For instance, most sleevers don’t dump. I also had a lot of scar tissue and a stricture. I’m sure some of this contributes to my issues... although my best friend had a perfectly done RNY and has a lot of long term issues too. So it’s hard to say.

16 hours ago, bellabloom said:

I wish I could tell you I knew you wouldn’t. It’s different for everyone. Just make sure it’s worth it to you. I’m still happy with the results from my surgery. I would do it again. Take heart, maybe it will be easier for you!

@bellabloom It’s so hard to say if it’s worth the risks. I mean of course I want to live long enough to see my kids grow up and that along with my constant yo yo dieting are the main reasons for surgery but weight loss is such a mind f$@k because it feels like I can do it on my own and yet here I am 9 years later and bigger than when I was pregnant with twins.

Outside of my weight, I am relatively healthy and feel good most of the time but it’s hard carrying the extra weight. Trading in this life for a thin one with constant worry about eating and pain doesn’t sound very appealing either. I have young children and a sick Mom and don’t have a lot of extra time to eat all day long and people rely on me not to get sick. I even worry about feeling well enough to keep my job.

I made my decision and have been trying to read only positive posts. Maybe I need to step away from BP until next week.

I do appreciate your candor.

Edited by Lainey H

[mention=235696]bellabloom[/mention] It’s so hard to say if it’s worth the risks. I mean of course I want to live long enough to see my kids grow up and that along with my constant yo yo dieting are the main reasons for surgery but weight loss is such a mind f$@k because it feels like I can do it on my own and yet here I am 9 years later and bigger than when I was pregnant with twins. Outside of my weight, I am relatively healthy and feel good most of the time but it’s hard carrying the extra weight. Trading in this life for a thin one with constant worry about eating and pain doesn’t sound very appealing either. I have young children and a sick Mom and don’t have a lot of extra time to eat all day long and people rely on me not to get sick. I even worry about feeling well enough to keep my job.

I made my decision and have been trying to read only positive posts. Maybe I need to step away from BP until next week.

I’m in the same position as you. A single mom with young children. The year I had surgery was very hard on me and the kids. It is still hard on them when i get sick with dumping etc.

BUT-it was hard on them before when I was over weight and very depressed, could barely walk, could not run, no energy for them, total lack of health!!! It was hard for me to walk across a room. I think that was way worse. Now they have a beautiful and energetic happy mom, who yes has digestive issues but there are many many other benefits to losing weight that make up for that. Like I said, I would do it again.

I’m sorry if my post made you worry. It’s very likely you won’t have any problems... or less than I do anyway. Take heart. You have made a good decision.

Whatever happens your taking a step to heal your health. It’s a journey.

I can not tell you what possibly could go wrong after the surgery but I can tell you what my Dr. told me before the surgery. I was looking at them amputating my toes, because of diabetes. He said the good news is by the time they got to my knees I would probably be blind by then, so I would not see that my legs are gone anyways. Now after the surgery, my glucose never gets above 140 and my fasting glucose is in the mid-80's. I no longer have pain in my feet and I can wear shoes again. The surgery saved my life and what a life it has become. Instead of sitting in front of the TV I actually enjoy going out in the yard and working.

I can not tell you what possibly could go wrong after the surgery but I can tell you what my Dr. told me before the surgery. I was looking at them amputating my toes, because of diabetes. He said the good news is by the time they got to my knees I would probably be blind by then, so I would not see that my legs are gone anyways. Now after the surgery, my glucose never gets above 140 and my fasting glucose is in the mid-80's. I no longer have pain in my feet and I can wear shoes again. The surgery saved my life and what a life it has become. Instead of sitting in front of the TV I actually enjoy going out in the yard and working.

Good for you. Congrats on the wonderful milestone.

Did you have the sleeve?

You don’t have to get all your Protein from meats. There are lots of people who are vegetarians and they get these surgeries done. It just means you have to work harder to get your Protein in other ways. I can’t stand meat alone. Make a curry or stew version and cut the meat in to the sauce in shreds. Add lots of vegetables and other stuff to your meal. The first six months after surgery I used to eat lean meat and I pretty much hated life by the end.

Today was pretty difficult for me.
As much as my life post bariatric surgery has changed for the better, in many ways wls is still a struggle for me. Sometimes I worry it will always be this way. Feeling “normal” again- maybe I’ll never feel that again. In 20 years I will still be the same as I am now and what are the long term repercussions on my health?
I really struggle with food. Protein is a constant challenge. I find it very very difficult to eat dense Protein. It gets stuck so easily, even if I take care to chew the f**k out of it. chicken and I- not friends. Fish is very challenging. Steak is easier but still, it can go badly. I can’t count the number of times I’ve puked up dense protein.
You know that rule, eat your protein first? If I did this I would still be anorexically thin. Once I take a couple bites of protein my restriction is so high I can possibly eat any more. Three bites and done. That’s about it.
Lately everything I eat gives me horrid gas. I’m constantly constipated. I try to get enough Water but drinking between meals, when I need to eat at least six meals a day to get enough calories, is incredibly difficult. When I drink with my meals it’s a gamble as to wether I will dump or throw up, so I try not to. But in my busy busy life I find it so hard to drink outside of my 6 meals, to grab that bottle of Water and get it down when my stomach still only takes sips even after so many years out. I get incredibly thirsty when I eat as well. It’s exhausting.
I’m hungry so often. Not physically hungry, although that happens too. But more of a mental hunger or a deep physical anatomical hunger that just feels like I can never really get enough food. I can never, or very very rarely, get quite enough that my body feels truly fed. I’m always in this limbo of not quite satisfied. My stomach prevents me from eating even if my body wants and needs more. I watch other people eat and I envy them. I miss the feeling of true satisfaction and resent the feeling of restriction, especially when I know my body really needs more food!!
Sugar and I- we have a very mixed relationship. I love sugar and I don’t fear it will make me gain weight. Carbs are easier for me to digest than protein and so I rely on the a lot to get the calories I need to not become skeletal again. But carbs can often give me dumping syndrome. I’m constantly playing a game of Russian roulette. Will I dump after this meal? Tonight I dumped horrible after a meal of a turkey sandwich and raspberries. I assume it was the raspberries. It’s a constant condition, one that I go through really hard times over and while sometimes I want to just say- ok! No more carbs- see above issues with protein.
Following the “rules” doesn’t provide a solution to me. Protein is too hard to get down. Water is so hard to get in. My calorie needs are high. I’m having jaw problems now from the stress on my jaw from so much chewing. I’ve seen my surgeon- he says no sugar.
So what’s left for me to eat safely! Protein Shakes? That’s not realistic. And I can barely keep weight on as it is.
What can I swallow and know 100% it won’t get stuck and I won’t dump.
So many people on these forums painting the perfect picture of life after wls. And those feeling like failures when they don’t lose weight.
Well I’m a “success story”. I’m thin.
And I struggle Every. Single. Day.
I wish people would talk more openly and honestly about the long term effects of wls and what it’s like to live with it. What’s it like in an imperfect world for an imperfect person.
My best friend had wls and we talk all the time about these things. It’s nice that I have someone who gets it. When people are considering wls they only want to see the positives but they don’t understand the choice they are making.
Would I make this choice again? Would I trade my health and freedom with food for a day in the body I have now? Probably.
But I’m not sure what that says about me.
Will you do the same? Think about it.
I’m not saying don’t have surgery. I’m not saying I would go back into my old body. That body had lots of problems too. My mind, my body, my life.. I’ll take it now. But wls isn’t for everyone. I’ve had a few friends chose not to do it, and at the time I didn’t understand their decision. In the honeymoon stage you’re on a weight loss high. I rode that high for a long long time. But now.. years out I’m beginning to understand.
Today was a rough day. I have better ones. It would be nice to have a place to get some support for the hard things we go through. Most other people in my life, they can’t understand. For me, having wls is living in a body with chronic digestive illness.

Thank you for sharing your story. Your words are moving & your experience is very valuable.
I can’t imagine that this was easy to write but I came to the forums to learn and understand the process and it’s impact on people so I’m especially grateful that you shared your thoughts & feelings, and I wish you all the very best. I really do hope you feel better soon.

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles! I am so sure as others have mentioned, that you've ruled out a stricture right? I'm guessing it's all the scar tissue from your 2 surgeries. :(

Have you honestly tried to get all your Water in lately and see if that helps your ability to eat? I ask, because Dr. Alvarez's podcast discussed what happens to the sleeve when we're dehydrated. He said, you are much more limited in volume, that food sticks and makes you full much quicker. Maybe a lot of the issue is chronic dehydration? It sure doesn't cost anything to test that out, right? Hydrate like crazy for a couple of weeks. Go back to sip, sip, sipping all day--set the timer. Go back to drinking Protein Drinks.

Also, my RD said she has patients who routinely drink a Protein Drink in the morning--years out. She said some pouches/sleeves are finicky in the morning and this makes it easy to meet Protein goals each day. Plus Premier Protein as a coffee creamer just plain rocks the casbah! Then, that would free you up to get your other protein and lots of veggies in during the remaining day? It would sure take some stress off knowing you have 25-30g of protein in by morning, right?

((hugs)) and so glad your kids have you around!!!

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, Lainey H said:

@bellabloom It’s so hard to say if it’s worth the risks. I mean of course I want to live long enough to see my kids grow up and that along with my constant yo yo dieting are the main reasons for surgery but weight loss is such a mind f$@k because it feels like I can do it on my own and yet here I am 9 years later and bigger than when I was pregnant with twins.

Outside of my weight, I am relatively healthy and feel good most of the time but it’s hard carrying the extra weight. Trading in this life for a thin one with constant worry about eating and pain doesn’t sound very appealing either. I have young children and a sick Mom and don’t have a lot of extra time to eat all day long and people rely on me not to get sick. I even worry about feeling well enough to keep my job.

I'm a mother with 2 small children, ages 2 and 4 and work full time outside the home. I had no co-morbidies going into this surgery and was healthy other then my weight. But my weight effected everything, I couldn't play with my kids like I wanted and my knees and back ached so badly from carrying the weight around.

For me, having this surgery has changed my life in the best ways. I don't struggle with food. I can eat everything I did prior to surgery except eggs. I have no issues with dumping (haven't dumped ever) or food getting stuck. I can eat a normal meal size in comparison to my thin female friends and average 1000-1200 calories a day, I'm meeting my Protein goals and while I don't meet my fluid goals everyday, I do most days.

This journey is different for everyone, some will struggle while others do not. There is a risk of side effects with any surgery but there is a huge risk of health issues with being obese as well. You have to think about which is a bigger risk to you and your lifestyle.

I'm a mother with 2 small children, ages 2 and 4 and work full time outside the home. I had no co-morbidies going into this surgery and was healthy other then my weight. But my weight effected everything, I couldn't play with my kids like I wanted and my knees and back ached so badly from carrying the weight around.
For me, having this surgery has changed my life in the best ways. I don't struggle with food. I can eat everything I did prior to surgery except eggs. I have no issues with dumping (haven't dumped ever) or food getting stuck. I can eat a normal meal size in comparison to my thin female friends and average 1000-1200 calories a day, I'm meeting my Protein goals and while I don't meet my fluid goals everyday, I do most days.
This journey is different for everyone, some will struggle while others do not. There is a risk of side effects with any surgery but there is a huge risk of health issues with being obese as well. You have to think about which is a bigger risk to you and your lifestyle.

Absolutely. And as I’ve said, even with the struggles I have now, I would do it all again to be in the body I currently have.

I have come to believe there are better ways to lose weight that doesn’t involve surgery, but in the place and mindset I was at the time, surgery was the best option for me.

I’m glad you are doing well. :)

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles! I am so sure as others have mentioned, that you've ruled out a stricture right? I'm guessing it's all the scar tissue from your 2 surgeries.
Have you honestly tried to get all your Water in lately and see if that helps your ability to eat? I ask, because Dr. Alvarez's podcast discussed what happens to the sleeve when we're dehydrated. He said, you are much more limited in volume, that food sticks and makes you full much quicker. Maybe a lot of the issue is chronic dehydration? It sure doesn't cost anything to test that out, right? Hydrate like crazy for a couple of weeks. Go back to sip, sip, sipping all day--set the timer. Go back to drinking Protein Drinks.< br> Also, my RD said she has patients who routinely drink a Protein Drink in the morning--years out. She said some pouches/sleeves are finicky in the morning and this makes it easy to meet Protein goals each day. Plus Premier Protein as a coffee creamer just plain rocks the casbah! Then, that would free you up to get your other protein and lots of veggies in during the remaining day? It would sure take some stress off knowing you have 25-30g of protein in by morning, right?
((hugs)) and so glad your kids have you around!!!

Dehydration is SUCH an issue for me. Drinking water is a truly challenging thing. Probably the thing I struggle with the most. I’ve been really trying to address it lately, forcing myself to drink more. I do suspect it attributes to some of my issues. Not all of course, but being dehydrated isn’t helping me!

As anyone who has had this surgery knows, drinking enough can be a real challenge.

14 minutes ago, bellabloom said:

Dehydration is SUCH an issue for me. Drinking Water is a truly challenging thing. Probably the thing I struggle with the most. I’ve been really trying to address it lately, forcing myself to drink more. I do suspect it attributes to some of my issues. Not all of course, but being dehydrated isn’t helping me!

As anyone who has had this surgery knows, drinking enough can be a real challenge.

Not having had the surgery yet, I just can't wrap my head around this issue? You know? I'm kinda terrified that I'll have to experience this and I'm dreading it. I do know that once you wake up thirst, wanting to drink becomes easier.

Why is drinking Fluid so challenging for you? TIA!

On 11/21/2017 at 9:23 PM, bellabloom said:

I think that’s pretty realistic for most people. It’s easy to regain. Maybe I’m lucky and just have a fast metabolism or maybe I consume less than I think.. but intuitive eating has worked well for me. I still think healing the metabolism and feeding the body well is a key to stepping away from dieting. Have you ever considered it?

Before surgery, I remember rolling my eyes at the skinny person that would complain about needing to lose 10 to 15 pounds. It annoyed the hell out of me.

I Just realized I am now that annoying person complaining about a small gain.

Intuitive eating, I just pulled up information on it. So far it looks great.

Have you been checked medically? Could you possibly have a stricture or some other issue that is causing this?

All that aside, about 3 years post op I stopped eating. I didn't want to stop eating, I just couldn't eat. I was losing weight like crazy and got thinner than most people thought made sense. I bruised so easily that I had bruises just from sleeping (pressure points). The skinnier and grosser I felt, the more attention I got from men and it was a big emotional rollercoaster. I thought it was physical, and the doctor asked me a lot of questions that led us both to the conclusion that I was lonely. The less I ate, the more my stomach shrunk and the less I COULD eat. I had to work to dig myself out of that.

I am not saying any of this applies to you - but I do not think it is normal to be struggling this much, so many years post op and I would strongly suggest that you investigate the root cause.