Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

carbonated drinks

Does anyone drink them ? I've seen and heard doctors say things on both sides of the spectrum. so I'm curious as to what others do or don't do.

Does anyone drink them ? I've seen and heard doctors say things on both sides of the spectrum. so I'm curious as to what others do or don't do.

I don't touch them at all. Not because of what anyone says but because I don't want to get back on them. It took me a while to break the habit. I refuse to do it again.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 189.2
GW below 200

I was told since l’m Just starting the whole process that I need to totally cut out all carbonated drinks and caffeine. My Brother had the lap band and then the sleeve will drink sod occasionally. But giving up caffeine i’m Not so sure about.

Giving up caffeine permanently if you can kick the habit and plan your withdrawal. You will feel amazing.

I had bad withdrawal for about 5 days but felt amazing after and will not go back now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told to avoid them because the gas will stretch my stomach. My dietician told me I could drink any soft drink so long as it's flat. I have avoided them but had a Pepsi (not flat) the other day and it gave me terrible wind so I might just avoid them all together.

Hi there. My surgeon and dietician both said no carbonated drinks. Of course I was like you and said why? They both said because it will cause bloating as it's a gas, in turn it will cause swelling of the pouch, causing pain and fullness.
Hope this helps. I'm avoiding them all together.

There is powder packs you can buy similar to Crystal light, but has flavors like the sodas squirt, root beer, orange crush, strawberry.
I've had them and I like them.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

yes i have heard all of this but i have also heard that if it doesn't bother you its fine. that the carbonation is not strong enough to stretch the pouch. i did have some seltzer the other day and i didn't have any pain or gas. so was just curious what others have been doing

38 minutes ago, Leo85 said:

yes i have heard all of this but i have also heard that if it doesn't bother you its fine. that the carbonation is not strong enough to stretch the pouch. i did have some seltzer the other day and i didn't have any pain or gas. so was just curious what others have been doing

My surgeon does not want me drinking carbonated beverages because he said it is not good for the pouch but I have also heard that carbination is not strong enough to stretch the pouch however I was a big Diet Coke drinker before surgery. I drink Crystal light and Water now however about a week ago I had a sip of Diet Coke and it felt horrible in my stomach so I have decided regardless, that I am done with carbonated beverages (they really are horrible for us anyway, sleeve or not). If I were you I would try to stay away from them. Best of luck to you :)

I have a bad diet coke habit so I'm going to take the 'no carbonation' as a strict rule. If I make exceptions, I could see myself slowly letting diet soda back in and I'm better off without it.

21 hours ago, Leo85 said:

I'm curious as to what others do or don't do.

I'm three months free of them.

I am 40 years free of sugary soda drinks and soft drinks and 91 days past diet drinks and beer.

I might have a beer or two on a future special occasion but I have no interest any more for "fizzy" lolly-water drinks.

Was a Diet Coke junkie for years but gave it up 1.5 years ago and never regretted it. That stuff isn’t good for us anyway, but I️ have to admit I️ get the craving now and then. I’m three months post-op and try to stick to plain Water or Crystal Light. My DIL is one year post-op and she occasionally drinks a Pepsi with no issues.

I have a bad diet coke habit so I'm going to take the 'no carbonation' as a strict rule. If I make exceptions, I could see myself slowly letting diet soda back in and I'm better off without it.

I was same as you but kicked it 3 weeks ago.(man I sound like an addict [emoji38][emoji38])
Feel a lot better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/18/2017 at 10:29 PM, naturallyzee said:

I don't touch them at all. Not because of what anyone says but because I don't want to get back on them. It took me a while to break the habit. I refuse to do it again.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 189.2
GW below 200

This X 100.

Carbonation can make you feel like crap, but this idea that it's going to stretch your stomach back out to its original size is silly. I had a bad diet pop addition prior to surgery, but once I gave it up I haven't wanted to go back. I have no doubts part of the improvement in my overall wellbeing is kicking that from my diet. There are times I miss it, but it's that same feeling I had when I quit smoking years ago. My life is fine without it and despite having an oddball craving from time to time it isn't a big deal anymore.

In regards to carbonation I have had a beer here and there. The carbonation doesn't seem to bother me, but it also takes forever to get even half a glass down. It would be a different story if I tried to drink a beer at the same pace as Water. If I drank fast it would make me feel miserable.