Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date 11/27; Surgeon says if liver too fatty, they will do sleeve instead of bypass. Anyone encounter this before?

Hello,

My surgery is scheduled for 11/27; I am currently on the 2 week pre-op diet. I am 5'3" and weigh 254; during this whole process, I found out "mild fatty infiltration". I meet with the surgeon earlier this week and he informed me that if they find my liver is too fatty and in the way, then they may not be able to do the bypass and may have to go the sleeve route. I really want the bypass not the sleeve so Just wondering if anyone ran into this issue and if they had to have a sleeve rather than a bypass.

Thanks for reading.

Hi, I'm still pre-op too (no idea when I'll get a surgery date yet), but from all the reading I've been doing, it is super important to follow your pre-op diet exactly as your surgeon gave it to you. The purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver.

Good luck!

Not personally but I know that's why you have to stick religiously to the pre-op diet. If the liver is fatty it will be inflamed and larger than usual. To do the bypass they need to be able to work around it to re-route everything so it's important that it's flat. That said I had adhesions which were expected but once in there he realised my liver spleen and stomach were fused together but he still managed to do it after spending the first 2 1/2 hours separating the organs so I wouldn't worry too much. They will work it out :)

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks, I’ve been on the liquid diet for 7 days, so far lost 3.5 lbs. I have 6 more days to go, getting excited and nervous.

My doc asked me if once he got in there and couldn't do the bypass, if I would rather get the laparoscopic sleeve or an open cut for the bypass. I chose the sleeve first, then open cut for bypass if the laparoscopic bypass was no longer an option. I followed the 2 week liquid diet and lost 23 pounds. I successfully had the laparoscopic RNY.

Best wishes to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

Follow the pre-op diet which is normally Optifast and then your liver will shrink and the surgeon can operate. Your liver needs to be free of carbs and foods that inflame it so it's nice and small for surgery.

Hi GwennyPenny,

Thanks for asking, I hosted Thanksgiving dinner and it went pretty well. I stuck to Turkey and green Beans and had a spoon on macaroni and stuffing and a small sliver of pumpkin pie but I felt guilty afterwards but I was able to control myself and stopped. I thought not drinking would be a challenge but I actually didn’t even desire any alcohol so overall I think it went well; Monday is right around the corner.

Hi GwennyPenny,

Thanks for asking, I hosted Thanksgiving dinner and it went pretty well. I stuck to Turkey and green Beans and had a spoon on macaroni and stuffing and a small sliver of pumpkin pie but I felt guilty afterwards but I was able to control myself and stopped. I thought not drinking would be a challenge but I actually didn’t even desire any alcohol so overall I think it went well; Monday is right around the corner.

Really try not to have ANYTHING off the plan. Even a few bites. You should be good on surgery date. It’s HARD because you are still hungry and want food. After surgery it’s still liquid diet for a few weeks but much easier when you have no hunger. Good luck!

Hello,
My surgery is scheduled for 11/27; I am currently on the 2 week pre-op diet. I am 5'3" and weigh 254; during this whole process, I found out "mild fatty infiltration". I meet with the surgeon earlier this week and he informed me that if they find my liver is too fatty and in the way, then they may not be able to do the bypass and may have to go the sleeve route. I really want the bypass not the sleeve so Just wondering if anyone ran into this issue and if they had to have a sleeve rather than a bypass.
Thanks for reading.

Hi! I had fatty liver and I follow up the pre op diet and even with the fatty liver I had the bypass.My surgery was fast less than an hour and the doctor told me that when you follow all the instructions is not a problem but if not there are cases that can not be done laparoscopically but open!
Good luck!

Hello,
Thanks for reading.

Hi em1,

I know today is y oiur and I all goes well for you. Please let us know how you are doing when you can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank You, went into surgery around 10:20 am and woke up around 3pm. The Dr was able to do the bypass :) I felt like a truck had ran me over but am feeling a lot better now, I’m only in pain getting in and out of bed. Just drank my first medicine cup of Water but had to do it very slowly.

Also, never realized how many stomach muscles we use to pee. Finding it hard to completely empty my bladder but if found out that if I pretend to sneeze and say acho, a little bit comes out each time.

Congratulations! Try to get walking as quickly as you can. You got this[emoji4]

How are you feeling today Sunshine? I'm a little more sore than yesterday but it's because I'm not being doped up with pain meds by nurses every few hours
But it's tolerable.

Keep your chin up. You'll be home soon and feeling great in no time at all.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app