Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old habits creeping back

I just had a revelation that I have fallen back to pre-surgery old/bad habits like: eating out in the car and throwing the evidence away so I don’t feel guilty. I have gained 40 lbs back from my lowest weight and tried to justify that by saying its all muscle weight since I weight train 4 days a week.

Any advice or words of encouragement are welcome

I’M STRUGGLING!

Good on you for realising it, I hope you can turn it around! I'm just beginning my journey so I don't have any advice for you - Other than to maybe consider digging up an old photo of yourself and stick it in your wallet so that the next time you're about to buy something you shouldn't it might help you to remember how it felt to be so big, and how far you've come since then.

((hugs)) food addictions are tough to manage. It is a life-long process and like alcoholism, there are backslides. It sounds like you need a new tune-up and maybe need to use this time to really focus on developing the strength of your good habits. If it were me, I'd get a therapist asap and then go back to basics: no eating or drinking with meals, dense Protein first, then veg, then fruit. I might even go to the RD for post-surg follow-up and for her to help formulate an eating plan since you are body building.

I will tell you, I'm in PT three days a week, doing baby work with bands and stuff. I have come home for the past week (this is week 2) and am absolutely famished every afternoon. Like I was before starting my pre-surg diet. So I know (and I have always suspected this) that I am one of the people for whom strength building exercises increases my hunger.

The time to address this is now. Hiding/sneaking food is bad. You know this. It's a symptom of the disease. So go kick it's ass dude! Maybe even look into OA or Greysheeters. Hang in there. It is not hopeless.

4 hours ago, SuperKen said:

I just had a revelation that I have fallen back to pre-surgery old/bad habits like: eating out in the car and throwing the evidence away so I don’t feel guilty. I have gained 40 lbs back from my lowest weight and tried to justify that by saying its all muscle weight since I weight train 4 days a week.

I’M STRUGGLING!

Start tracking what you're eating again. Tracking helps you remain accountable. In the past, when I had some success losing weight, the common denominator had always been because I tracked everything I ate very carefully. Tracking is a pain in the azz but it does work. I use loseit and before any food goes in my mouth, it gets tracked. This way I can see what it is that I am about to eat and can ask myself if this is what I really want to eat. Often seeing the bad numbers on the unhealthy food is enough to stop me.

4 hours ago, SuperKen said:

I’M STRUGGLING!

Weight gain happens to many of us. Glad you recognized the behavior. It's never too late to turn it around. Great advice above.

Go back to bariatric basics. Log, Protein and Water goals. Continue your workouts. I also used my weight training to justify my calories. I'm cracking down and starting to lose weight again.

If you are interested we have a holiday weight loss challenge going on to keep you motivated. Here's the info

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/405183-holiday-challenge-time-lets-do-this/

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/405476-holiday-challenge-spreadsheet/

29 minutes ago, BlackCatMatt said:

I use loseit and before any food goes in my mouth, it gets tracked. This way I can see what it is that I am about to eat and can ask myself if this is what I really want to eat. Often seeing the bad numbers on the unhealthy food is enough to stop me.

To me, this is one of the most important steps and tools! Religiously logging food BEFORE you eat it, is better because:

1. You still have time to change what's going in your mouth if it has too much of "something" even portion size.

2. You have actual data rather than the fallacy of "remembering" what you ate. It's easy to "forget" you had 3 tbsp of Hellmann's mayo on that turkey swiss low carb wrap. Right?

4 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

To me, this is one of the most important steps and tools! Religiously logging food BEFORE you eat it, is better because:

1. You still have time to change what's going in your mouth if it has too much of "something" even portion size.

2. You have actual data rather than the fallacy of "remembering" what you ate. It's easy to "forget" you had 3 tbsp of Hellmann's mayo on that turkey swiss low carb wrap. Right?

5 hours ago, SuperKen said:

I’M STRUGGLING!

I tried not logging after goal. I was always way off eyeballing and guessing calories and macronutrients. Started gaining. Logging seriously keeps me on track.

Weight loss has changed at three years out. @SuperKen you are four years out right?

I miss the days of fast weight loss and better surgery restriction. I can gain weight with a few days eating off track. It will take me two months to lose it. I battle myself most day's.

The weight loss is slow but, I'll take it.

Superken...Sorry you are going through this. This is my biggest fear, and I don't know yet how to think about it. It is easy to tell you to get back to basics, but I'm sure you already know that. It is harder said than done. I am at 239, and am already finding that I have to fight for each pound of weight loss. I lift weights as well, and have seen my calorie intake increase from just under 1,000 to 1,100 to 1.200 calories on some days. I am still eating according to plan, but can eat more than I used to, hence an increase in calories.

I don't often eat Protein first in my meals, since that is just not what I am accustomed to. I will try that. Maybe that would work for you as well. I know a lot about muscle building, and will say that your body needs more calories when in muscle building mode. It is just hard to put on muscle with a large calorie deficit, and your body will naturally crave more calories when you are working out hard. You've just got to get out in front of it. Rely on those Protein Shakes right after workouts, and load up on veggies at every turn. Those are the lowest calorie foods, and you can literally eat as much as you want. If you eat 4-5 ounces of lean protein and even 2 cups of steamed spinach or broccoli, you are going to still be way lower in calories than if you ate 4-5 ounces of protein and a cup of macaroni and cheese. I am sure you probably aren't eating that, but it is just an example.

Yes, log your food for a week or two without changes. Then, go back and analyze it and see where you can make changes. Good luck to you, bro. I hope you are able to get back on track. I am rooting for you.

Superken...Sorry you are going through this. This is my biggest fear, and I don't know yet how to think about it. It is easy to tell you to get back to basics, but I'm sure you already know that. It is harder said than done. I am at 239, and am already finding that I have to fight for each pound of weight loss. I lift weights as well, and have seen my calorie intake increase from just under 1,000 to 1,100 to 1.200 calories on some days. I am still eating according to plan, but can eat more than I used to, hence an increase in calories.
I don't often eat Protein first in my meals, since that is just not what I am accustomed to. I will try that. Maybe that would work for you as well. I know a lot about muscle building, and will say that your body needs more calories when in muscle building mode. It is just hard to put on muscle with a large calorie deficit, and your body will naturally crave more calories when you are working out hard. You've just got to get out in front of it. Rely on those Protein Shakes right after workouts, and load up on veggies at every turn. Those are the lowest calorie foods, and you can literally eat as much as you want. If you eat 4-5 ounces of lean protein and even 2 cups of steamed spinach or broccoli, you are going to still be way lower in calories than if you ate 4-5 ounces of protein and a cup of macaroni and cheese. I am sure you probably aren't eating that, but it is just an example.
Yes, log your food for a week or two without changes. Then, go back and analyze it and see where you can make changes. Good luck to you, bro. I hope you are able to get back on track. I am rooting for you.

Dropwt4life: Everything you said I already know. I just needed to here it from others. Thank Man. And thanks for all the wonderful rapid responses I received from everyone. I had forgotten how essential the BariatricPal community is. [emoji1531][emoji1531][emoji1531]

I completely agree with the tracking of food that has been mentioned already. I measure and track everything myself just so I can not hide or sneak anything. Here is an example:

I really only do the Protein first routine at a sit down dinner. Most of my eating is done either at my desk at work or while I am doing something. Right now I am having a kale, cranberry, and sunflower seed salad with lite poppy seed dressing. There is literally no meat or anything on it. My next snack though will only be protein. This morning I had a Protein Bar for Breakfast, hard 2 boiled eggs for a snack and oatmeal prior to the gym. I pretty much have only one thing at a time. It's the macros and the end of the week that are most important, not just one meal or day.

You mentioned you lift 4 days a week. Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you just lift weights or do you train? Keeping a log of what you are lifting and how many reps? That's the difference between exercise and training. Lifting weights, getting hot and sweaty, and getting the heart rate up are fine for exercise, but that is not a training regimen. If you are not doing a barbell training regimen, perhaps look into it. You may find the structured routine helps. If like me you become more interested in the weight on the bar than the weight on the scale, you may find that you will start eating to accomplish what you need rather than to feel some sort of satisfaction. When you are constantly lifting at the limit of your strength and trying to increase that limit, it can become all encompassing.

Best of luck.

12 hours ago, SuperKen said:

I’M STRUGGLING!

Bruh, cmon....Did you go through all of this to go right back to where you started? Is that the end game? Cmon man, you're better than this. You need to dust yourself off and get back on the wagon again....You didnt come this far to give up and go back did you? Get back on a high Protein and low carb program and get back on track, stay away from fast foods and soda man.

The program at my hospital has a once monthly bariatric meeting for all stages of patients in their journey. They also have twice monthly post op meetings where the bariatric coordinator and nutritionist are in attendance.

If your program has meetings like this going in person can help you be accountable and get in person advice from others that may be in the same situation.

On 17/11/2017 at 6:44 PM, SuperKen said:

Any advice or words of encouragement

Go back to square one.

Re-educate yourself with Protein Shakes and liquids for 10-20 days then go onto purees for 2-3 weeks.

Re-establish your beach-head for future weight loss.

Get back to your clinic or the paper advice they provided.

Talk to your family doctor.

9 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

The program at my hospital has a once monthly bariatric meeting for all stages of patients in their journey. They also have twice monthly post op meetings where the bariatric coordinator and nutritionist are in attendance.

If your program has meetings like this going in person can help you be accountable and get in person advice from others that may be in the same situation.

^^ This. My program offers several support groups across the Greater Philadelphia area. I went and it was nice to be in good company with other people in the same condition as my present one and to meet with others that have had great success and could offer meal planning advice.

Like many others here, weight gain is a big issue for me. I'm curious what others here eat on a daily basis. I stated at 367 and got down to 228 (I'm 6' tall, now 53 years old). My goal was to get under 200. After a couple months of not tracking my food, I found myself back up to 242. I'm back to cutting carbs and trying to keep my Protein at 70 grams a day, focusing mainly on vegetables. I generally work out about 3 times a week (cardio + weight training). I usually end up eating in the range of 1300 - 1500 calories a day. I thought at that range, I should be losing weight at a pretty decent rate, but that's not the case. I'm wondering how many calories other guys eat in a day.

Thanks.