Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Morning Vs Evening

Does anyone have opinions on the best time of day to workout?

I have been told that the best is working out first thing in the AM prior to eating. So far, my body seems happy doing this. I use to workout around 4:30 PM since my job has a free gym but my body, even though I felt fine, wasn't dropping weight. Since I switched to AM I seem to have much more energy during the day and the weight is dropping again.

Not sure if it really even matters or if it's just something that is different for everyone. Or why the AM seems to be working best.

I started out running in the morning before work. I liked it and it always left me feeling super energized for the rest of the day, like you said.

Now that the colder weather is here it is too cold and dark for me to run at 5:00 am so I have switched to running during my lunch break at work.I don't enjoy it as much. I can't say whether it has effected my rate of weight loss because I am really pretty much at goal so I don't expect to lose much more or quickly.

I think it is a personal preference. I hope to get a treadmill so I can continue to run in the early am throughout the winter.

There is conflicting research about this. I have read the positives and negatives of working out first thing in the morning or late in the day. I think we really don't know which is truly more beneficial. Many studies show that a fresh morning workout before a meal has been known to burn fat since there have been no carbs consumed. Other studies say that in addition to fat, the body will break down muscle as a way to hold onto its fat stores.

There is so much conflicting research out there, that when to workout should be about convenience instead. If you can maintain a routine better in the morning, then do that. If not, workout when you can.

I normally workout at noon each day, and again in the evening a few days per week. My evening workouts are sometimes hindered by a need to get something done. Volleyball games, and/or practice kills my schedule. Also, sometimes, I just want to spend time with my daughter while she is home and awake. If she asks to watch a movie with me, I am not going to say no so that I can get to the gym.

That is why the noon workouts work for me. I NEVER deviate from them, and evening workouts are just icing on the cake. If I have time, and just want to get another workout in, I do it.

I workout in evenings. I don't get energized by the workouts so when I do a morning workout I'm tired the whole day. Workout in evening...have dinner...shower and put on pjs!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Good question! I love lounging in the mornings and don't really like having to get up and workout, so I usually take a walk or run after work. However, I ran my first 5k a few weeks ago and the start time was 7am. After the run I felt amazing, energized and great all day. and I said to myself "I am going to get up early from now on to run!" Yeah, well.....that really hasn't happened. :blush:

So I guess the answer is any time of day is better than nothing! Whatever makes you feel best. :-)

The best time is when you will do it. As noted, with all of the conflicting research of varying quality, it's hard to tell what time is better, if any at all, or if that view will change over time. Further, what research there is on exercise is rarely focused on us - the obese and recovering obese, so there is another variable that throws everything into question. Exercising at a sub-optimal time is better than not exercising at the optimal time.

This is somewhat similar to my advice on Protein Drinks - while whey isolate is generally considered to be the most available and absorbable form, the one that you will drink is better than the best thing out there that you won't drink (with the possible exception of GENEPRO, which only seems to be good for making expensive urine.)

I'm a morning gal. Up at 4:30, in the gym at 5:30 (long commute to civilization). This is my undeterred schedule 5 days a week and sometimes on weekends. I have tons of energy and it gives me no time to make excuses or other plans that might prevent me with following through with my commitment. I don't know if it's better for you or not, but it's better for me.

I get to the gym at 5AM. I like this time because I don't have any excuses not to go. After work I found myself staying home or

getting involved with a project. No excuses for me at 5AM.

The best time is when you will do it. As noted, with all of the conflicting research of varying quality, it's hard to tell what time is better, if any at all, or if that view will change over time. Further, what research there is on exercise is rarely focused on us - the obese and recovering obese, so there is another variable that throws everything into question. Exercising at a sub-optimal time is better than not exercising at the optimal time.
This is somewhat similar to my advice on Protein drinks - while whey isolate is generally considered to be the most available and absorbable form, the one that you will drink is better than the best thing out there that you won't drink (with the possible exception of GENEPRO, which only seems to be good for making expensive urine.)

I agree. I have gotten a little more burn in the morning, but I am not a morning person. I never will be, so evenings work for me during the workweek.

The best time is the time you will do!

According to personal trainer there is no concrete evidence that time of day makes a difference in the calorie burn. His point is just do it - do what suits you best!

For sure the best time of day to workout is when you will do it! Most of the time if I wait until evenings, life happens and exercise often won't happen. So I do it in the mornings, even though I drag a little more.

Hi All,

I agree with the majority hear for a number of reasons. Also it depends on what the purpose is for you personally. I worked out often when I was in decent shape (the 200s). I can say from personal experience doing 2 a days took its toll. Its very important to make a great habit or keeping active longterm and not overdoing it (to prevent getting hurt or painfully sore). There is a definite difference between soreness from muscle being gained etc and being close to getting hurt. So combining great healthy habits and exercise program is likely more important than the time of day to workout. For plenty of people the evening is better for keeping stress down while starting earlier can boost your metabolism or at least aid in getting it going earlier in the day. Hope that helps.