Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Share your story: Weird body habits post-op

14 hours ago, Apple203 said:

I am going to sound like an idiot because I don't have supporting information, but the reflux & hb associated with caffeine is related to the eosinophil valve (?)opening to the stomach -- it is affected by caffeine. Credit to surgeon's dietitian.

Here we go: A big player in the cause of acid reflux is overcaffeination. When your caffeine intake is too high, the muscle that connects the stomach to the esophagus is relaxed. When this happens, an opening is created for stomach acid to come up into your esophagus, which causes acid reflux.

Thanks, Apple! Looks like I need to switch out my beverage.

7 hours ago, Berry78 said:

I think I'd spend a bit of time examining my Vitamins to see if there is a cause. It's possible you are getting too much of something.

Medications can cause this too...

I never even thought about that. Thanks, My Dr knows what I take but to be honest she isn't very thorough. All she is concerned with is making me take 6 UA'S out of 7 times I have seen her. I am on Fentanyl Patches. So because Oregon has a large number of peeps on OPIATES and they are trying to get everyone off of them. I really don't have a problem with getting off the patches, I just know this has been the 1 and only thing that I have tried that works, I'm not sure what she has in mind. I told her that I would go back to POT, which is Legal here. But...the feds can still come and arrest you. She thought I was smoking now and about had a fit!! I told her that I haven't done that for at least 10years now. The only problem with POT I get the munchies so bad, I could eat the wallpaper off the wall. A WL person getting the munchies is NOT GOOD!! Sorry, I wrote another book.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, Berry78 said:

I started coffee again about a month postop I think. It was so funny how jittery it made me the first time I had it. I got used to the caffeine quickly again, though. Now I drink 1 caffeinated and the rest Decaf. The only problem for me is it seems to increase heartburn a bit.

Working on transitioning to tea...

Be careful with tea...it's deceiving. It can have more caffeine than coffee. I was back on the caffeine after 6 months and it gives me heartburn too. I usually get the iced black tea lemonade from Starbucks (w/o cane sugar) and the fact that it is cut with lemonade seems to made it easier to tolerate.

It's lucky I like herbal tisanes as well as regular tea. I can play around with it to see what works best. Thanks!!

My nose runs when I eat too fast, too! I've taken to setting a timer between bites to slow me down. Even when i thought I was going slow, I wasn't going slow enough. That's made a big difference and is teaching me to wait longer. Two mins between bites seems optimal for me. One minute isn't long enough...three is perfect, but my patience wears thin!

Just a little side note here peeps. BariatricPal Store has a coffee that has no acid!! I love it, so does my hubby. I ordered 1 bag to try and went back and bought 4 more. It is a little bit high on the cost but...I think it is worth it. I haven't had any kinds of problems with regular coffee but I thought heck it can't hurt to try it. So glad I did. We love it!!

I've just recently discovered that my old "full" feeling that used to tell me when I'm done is actually WAY WAY past full now. My surgeon's office of course would have no idea about this since they've never had the surgery and it's very subtle (and maybe it only happens to me?). I would be getting very tired, nauseous, and sometimes vomited after nearly any meal. My NUT and PA were clueless, but I believe the answer is I'm just eating past full without knowing it.

Now, the signal is a very quiet sense of queasiness. If I stop there, I'm okay. It feels wrong because I don't feel "full" and my program tells me to eat until I'm full. But after 9 months of feeling like crap after meals, I'm pretty sure that subtle nausea is me being full. C'mon now body, something a little more obvious would help!

Also--has anyone else had this happen? I'm down nearly 125 pounds and my stomach fat is causing me more back pain than ever. I don't know why this would be the case as it's much smaller and lighter than ever! I do regular core training too.

Hmm, funny bodies.

I am 4 years out and I also have a signal that I am full...but I have been watching a pattern here!! Yes, I do get hiccups after I am full it just doesn't happen soon enough!! Its like 1 bite too much and I feel like my skin is stretched as far as it will go. I had my Panni done over 2 years ago so I am slowly figuring this out. Lol Right after my RNY I definitely knew way before to stop. If I lie down it sort of stops the pull. I know I am strange. You would think I would have it all figured out by now but...things change a bit. I had lots of vomiting before now not so much. My nose use to run nope not now. I have to be totally aware of how much I put into my mouth now. Just the woes of WLS I guess!! Have a great one. BTW I did have BIG PROBLEMS and I did develope an aversion to food due to Strictures and I needed 5 ENDOSCOPES with 4 Dialtions. Being so sick for the first year and 1/2 at least. It was very hard to eat I was always afraid it would hurt my tummy or I would be up vomiting again. Have a great day!!