Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here new to the journey

HI everyone! I've been lurking to boards for a month or so and I figured it was time to step out of the shadows and say hi. I'm new to this journey, I just had my first visit (have to do 6) with the weightloss doctor. I go back to him December 6 I'll be meeting my surgeon on January 8th. I'm excited and nervous but looking forward to having an improved "me". I've started making my changes (smaller plates, measuring food, putting fork down between bites, yall know the drill) and I'm hoping to see some weight loss when I go back in a few weeks. I haven't totally settled on a procedure yet, I was leaning more towards sleeve but will discuss with the surgeon what he feels is best for me considering my past and my stats now. I have a husband and little girl (6 yo) and both are supportive and so is one of my best friends. I do have one friend who is not supportive and I've had to be firm and tell him to keep his negativity to himself. I love the support I see on this board and there are so many inspirational stories here. I am looking forward to seeing yall progress and seeing me progress as well. Sorry for a long post, I just wanted to introduce myself and share a little.

Welcome! It's a whirlwind, and surgery day will be here before you know it...

Welcome and let us know if we can be of any help.

Welcome! I'm new here, also. Scheduled for a revision December 12th. I'm so glad I found this forum, it's so encouraging to have others who are going thru the same journey.

Now if I could only figure out how to follow people, and reply properly I'll be in good shape.....

HI... I'm new here too. My journey started last January when I first talked to my GP about getting a referral to the bariatric program at our local hospital (things work a little differently here in Canada), and my doc was so excited that I asked about it I thought he was going to fall out of his chair. :) It took a few months to get into the program, but now I have appointments once a month with different people (my nurse, my surgeon, nutritionist, mental health, etc). I know there are a lot of hoops to jump through ... just had my gastroscopy last week. All good! ... but I'm hoping that I'll get a surgery date sometime in the spring or summer. I have a wonderfully supportive husband and 2 great kids (7 & 5). Most of my friends and family are supportive, but some have accused me of 'taking the easy way out' (haha... as if). I'm looking forward to getting to know people on here, and following their stories.

My daughter said that she is afraid that people will judge her if she has WLS. I told her that her closest friends who care about her health and her struggles won't judge her (hopefully) and that the rest of them already are. As overweight people, we are doomed to be judged one way or the other.

10 minutes ago, I AM WORTH IT said:

My daughter said that she is afraid that people will judge her if she has WLS. I told her that her closest friends who care about her health and her struggles won't judge her (hopefully) and that the rest of them already are. As overweight people, we are doomed to be judged one way or the other.

11 minutes ago, I AM WORTH IT said:

Just now, shedo82773 said:

I don't know what I did but anyway...I just wanted to say WELCOME to all of you!! I look forward to following your Journey!!!

Welcome! I think a lot of us have learned to keep it from certain people. Some people are judgemental and do not understand what a battle it is we go through! Keep on pushing!!

On 11/15/2017 at 7:39 AM, Momtokaitlyn said:

HI everyone! I've been lurking to boards for a month or so and I figured it was time to step out of the shadows and say hi. I'm new to this journey, I just had my first visit (have to do 6) with the weightloss doctor. I go back to him December 6 I'll be meeting my surgeon on January 8th. I'm excited and nervous but looking forward to having an improved "me". I've started making my changes (smaller plates, measuring food, putting fork down between bites, yall know the drill) and I'm hoping to see some weight loss when I go back in a few weeks. I haven't totally settled on a procedure yet, I was leaning more towards sleeve but will discuss with the surgeon what he feels is best for me considering my past and my stats now. I have a husband and little girl (6 yo) and both are supportive and so is one of my best friends. I do have one friend who is not supportive and I've had to be firm and tell him to keep his negativity to himself. I love the support I see on this board and there are so many inspirational stories here. I am looking forward to seeing yall progress and seeing me progress as well. Sorry for a long post, I just wanted to introduce myself and share a little.

Welcome! Sounds like 2018 is going to be a wonderfully transitional year for you, congratulations on the beginning of your journey! Glad you found the forum. I have found lots and lots of support and answers here.

As for friends and family, you will find out who the true ones who really care for you are. Those are the ones who won't judege but will support and encourage you.

:)

Hello, I'm new here also... I actually started my journey October 30th.... I am looking to have my surgery around May 2018... I am so excited and can hardly wait for that day.... I too have ones close to me that are questioning my decision... But I am not doing this for them, I am doing it for ME!

Sent from my A466BG using BariatricPal mobile app

On 16/11/2017 at 1:39 AM, Momtokaitlyn said:

I just had my first visit (have to do 6) with the weightloss doctor. I go back to him December 6 I'll be meeting my surgeon on January 8th. I'm excited and nervous but looking forward to having an improved "me"

Others have already said it ... I'll just amplify it.

The time will fly by ... REALLY!

I joined this website on September 2 ... 40 days before my surgery and 36 days after my referral for the procedure.

It's now Friday November 17 ... 36 days post surgery.

Every day just moves so quickly.

By all means, read and filter the information from here. Ask the questions you're sweating over.

Good luck.

Welcome to all the Newbies!!! I'm fairly new myself, my surgery will hopefully be in January 2018. There are some very knowledgeable people here and everyone is very supportive!!! Congratulations on beginning your new life!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome to everyone! I'm fairly new to the forums myself (joined in September) and I love it here. Such a beautiful community. My insurance requires 7 months of nutrition appointments. I attend my second nutritionist appointment December 6th. Should be doing my last nutritionist appointment in May and will hopefully get a surgery date soon after. Best wishes to everyone and their personal journeys!