Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you wish you'd known before having weight loss surgery

On 11/19/2017 at 8:13 PM, fclenz said:

12/19 is my date too!

Are you going to Mexico?

Just now, bellabloom said:

Hey there.

I have dumping syndrome (rare for sleeve patients) and I have trouble with things getting stuck/ throwing up after I eat. I also just feel nauseated or generally unwell after I eat most of the time. These might seem like small issues but over time they can be very exhausting.

On the up side, I’m healthy Vitamin wise, my energy is good and I’m thin and living a much happier life. :)

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Sounds pretty miserable.

I wish I knew that I'd have diarrhea forever. (maybe it's not forever, but I had surgery 7 months ago and I still have it). It isn't every day, I haven't been able to figure out what specifically causes it, only that sometimes I eat and in an hour, I can't go more than 500 feet from a toilet. pills don't work quickly enough, so if it happens, it's a good 2 hours before I can safely leave my house or office. It's not something that would have stopped me from having surgery. But I do wish I had known that this was going to be a problem for me long term. I am exhausted and depressed at the thought of this being my life forever.

I wish I knew that I'd have diarrhea forever. (maybe it's not forever, but I had surgery 7 months ago and I still have it). It isn't every day, I haven't been able to figure out what specifically causes it, only that sometimes I eat and in an hour, I can't go more than 500 feet from a toilet. pills don't work quickly enough, so if it happens, it's a good 2 hours before I can safely leave my house or office. It's not something that would have stopped me from having surgery. But I do wish I had known that this was going to be a problem for me long term. I am exhausted and depressed at the thought of this being my life forever.

This sounds like dumping!!

the burping... everytime i eat or even drink, i keep burping

On 11/16/2017 at 9:08 AM, Sullie06 said:

I wish I knew that I would have a drain for 48 hours. My surgeon never mentioned it so I assumed they didn't use them, wrong. That was a surprise to wake up to and the most painful part for me.

Also I wish I prepared myself better for mild regret directly after surgery and how slow moving through the stages would feel.

Now I'm almost 11 months out, about 15-20 pounds from goal and I have zero regrets.

Awesome and glad things are better, I am preparing mental self for a little emotional rollercoaster but I

know why i'm doing. Thank you for sharing :)

surgery date 12/20

I️I’ve heard that some people become lactose intolerant. Have you tried to eliminate dairy or take lactaid when you do have dairy?

I️ have Ulcerated Colitis and was told the surgery would decrease my flair-ups - I’ve been in a flair and on steroids since Sept [emoji79]. Did you see a GI yet? Pepto works pretty fast and it’s less harsh than immodium.
Good Luck!!!

On 11/18/2017 at 10:25 PM, bellabloom said:

I would trade being obese for living with chronic digestive issues, never being able to eat freely or normally again and that meals would always be a struggle.

See this is what has been freaking me out lately. I Already have chronic digestive issues (along with a host of other chronic pain & health issues), and since my IBS has been flared up lately, I keep questioning if this is going to make it worse. My IBS is mixed, mostly C, but sometimes D. Mainly a lot of abdominal pain, intermittent nausea, GERD - which is well controlled with OTC 20 mg Nexium - so I can always go up to 40 mg if needed - and my gastroenterologist insisted the sleeve was the better option for me, in her opinion. So, IDK. I guess because we are paying out of pocket, and our loan is not inexpensive, that I already feel like it is a burden financially for my husband/family. If I don't have a good outcome, or if my daily issues become Worse?? Ugh, I can't even imagine any of us having to deal with that....

Man I wish I only had my drain for 48hrs. My surgeon requires one for 7 days, and do to a scheduling issue I was stuck with mine for 9 days. That was by far my least favorite part of the whole process. Other than that I wish I knew just how greatly my tastes would change in the time right after surgery. There are quite a few foods that I simply cannot stand the taste of anymore that I loved pre-surgery.

How common is having a drain? I’ve never heard of anyone getting on for this surgery.

I wish I would have known how much gas pain I’d have. It was mentioned many times, but I guess I just chose to ignore it. Three days post-op and it’s just as bad as the day of. [emoji30] I know this too shall pass, though!

How common is having a drain? I’ve never heard of anyone getting on for this surgery.

I had one I had gastric bypass, my surgeon does the drain with every surgery. I guess it depends on your doctor and your body?

That I would live my life in 30 minute blocks...

What do you mean?