Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there still wear their binder?

It isn't required, but if you have used one post abdomen surgery, you will know that it does help. Even with laparoscopic surgery they are opening you up, and moving your anatomy around to gain clear access to your stomach. Until you fully heal, you have cuts in your abdomen muscles (which is why there is a huge risk of a hernia post op).

I only had iv pain meds the two nights in hospital (only at bedtime), was doing office work the next day in my hospital bed, and had 0 nausea. I didn't take any pain meds at home, and was walking a mile per day from day 3.

If I wasn't using the binder, I wouldn't have been able to walk as far, as we know there is some abdomen pain. By holding your stomach in place, you avoid pains associated with movement.

This is a very cheap aid to your recovery, if you can afford it, I would suggest it to everyone. It is something you will use for a week or two, until your abdomen pain just magically disappears. I would buy one, bring it with you to the hospital (i used mine day of surgery while I walked around the nursing stations), if they provide you one, you can simply return yours.

Are you joking? Why would you do those things?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

Because I am tough as nails.
Of course I am joking.
Why would I burn my drain site shut? It was an attempt at humor.

1 minute ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

Because I am tough as nails.
Of course I am joking.
Why would I burn my drain site shut? It was an attempt at humor.

I caught it and chuckled.

I didn't get one of those. They didn't even talk about that during any meetings, appointments, etc.

Neither did I! It would've been nice to have that option though!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

It isn't required, but if you have used one post abdomen surgery, you will know that it does help. Even with laparoscopic surgery they are opening you up, and moving your anatomy around to gain clear access to your stomach. Until you fully heal, you have cuts in your abdomen muscles (which is why there is a huge risk of a hernia post op).
I only had iv pain meds the two nights in hospital (only at bedtime), was doing office work the next day in my hospital bed, and had 0 nausea. I didn't take any pain meds at home, and was walking a mile per day from day 3.
If I wasn't using the binder, I wouldn't have been able to walk as far, as we know there is some abdomen pain. By holding your stomach in place, you avoid pains associated with movement.
This is a very cheap aid to your recovery, if you can afford it, I would suggest it to everyone. It is something you will use for a week or two, until your abdomen pain just magically disappears. I would buy one, bring it with you to the hospital (i used mine day of surgery while I walked around the nursing stations), if they provide you one, you can simply return yours.

I couldn’t have said it better! Thank you very much!

On 11/14/2017 at 2:13 PM, Rose400491 said:

I’m one month post-op and I don’t need to wear my binder anymore for my incisions however I like wearing it to the gym and for work (I have a very physical job, up and down ladders, lifting and bending down). I like the support it gives me.

Anyone else do this?

I am exactly 8 days post op. I had laparoscopic as well. I was given a white binder as well. My doctor gives them to all patients he says it helps the belly stay in place better as you move around. He will make his patients that had a hernia fixed wear them until their first check up but He said that I only had to wear it when I walk around, since I didn't have a hernia, but I wear it all the time unless i am in the shower. It gives me relief while walking around as well as when i lay in bed. I got my drain taken out the day i left the hospital and took off the gauze that was tapped down just yesterday as the doctor said it was ok. Still can't shower "normal" as they don't want to have my incisions get "soaked" so i wash my body normally minus the belly and do as they say and let my Shampoo just run down the belly. I still have the clear "glue" over all the incisions still and they said they will come off on their own. I go back for my first check up in a few weeks. I am amazed at hose much weight i have lost in just 8 days! 21.6 pounds already. I don't see a physical difference really except my face seems a little thinner but the scales show im doing great so im pretty excited :)

Edited by JloCuchara

I am exactly 8 days post op. I had laparoscopic as well. I was given a white binder as well. My doctor gives them to all patients he says it helps the belly stay in place better as you move around. He will make his patients that had a hernia fixed wear them until their first check up but He said that I only had to wear it when I walk around, since I didn't have a hernia, but I wear it all the time unless i am in the shower. It gives me relief while walking around as well as when i lay in bed. I got my drain taken out the day i left the hospital and took off the gauze that was tapped down just yesterday as the doctor said it was ok. Still can't shower "normal" as they don't want to have my incisions get "soaked" so i wash my body normally minus the belly and do as they say and let my Shampoo just run down the belly. I still have the clear "glue" over all the incisions still and they said they will come off on their own. I go back for my first check up in a few weeks. I am amazed at hose much weight i have lost in just 8 days! 21.6 pounds already. I don't see a physical difference really except my face seems a little thinner but the scales show im doing great so im pretty excited

That’s awesome to hear! You’re doing great! It gets alittle better everyday. I had strips on my incisions that came off in a week and I was told not to pull them no matter how close they are to falling off and to get a cup of Water and antibacterial soap and just run it over your belly a few times then rinse and pat dry.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:40 AM, Rose400491 said:

Oh yikes I’ve never heard of someone not being sent home with a binder. It is an undergarment (usually Velcro to adjust) for compression and it’s also protects the incision and makes it so you don’t put strain on your stomach makes it alittle tougher to bend down.
It looks like this! 175EA76F-C5A5-4FEC-A09B-700682AE8293-2888-0000014DFB3A0B14.jpeg

Never got one of those and first time hearing about it.

My Dr told me he’d rather me listen to my body and react to it’s natural pain, if I have any. The binder might make one over do it as it may help minimize pain that some people have. Also, he wants me to work my stomach muscles as I’m able. The binder will hold everything in but it also minimizes using stomach muscles. He said “ don’t be afraid to use your stomach muscles”. Start slow and work up to more as the days progress.

I’m 28 days out and had minimal pain after surgery. I began walking the neighborhood 5 days out and continue to walk nearly every day. I slowly work my stomach muscles. I would not want to use a binder.

I never got a binder. It wasn't offered so I guess it's a good thing..

Sent from my SM-J327T using BariatricPal mobile app