Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved 6/22/17. Recently I've had a major life changing event. Not in a good way. I wasn't aware that I was stress eating until I found myself googling how many calories are in a sleeve of Ritz crackers. I had polished off a sleeve a work on day. It was over a 10 hour span so I didn't realize I had ate the whole sleeve. (BTW it's over 500 calories ) I've lost 106 lbs but I've not lost 1 lb since this new stress has come to light. (One of my children was hurt years ago and I never knew ) all I'll say about the stresser. I've got to find a way to deal with this new info and not sabotage myself. My nerves,are shot and the first thing I turn to is my old friend food. I haven't been walking or working out. I have an office job so don't get a chance to move around a lot at work. And makes it easier to snack at my desk. I'm not gonna buy the crackers anymore. Has anybody got any ideas how to deal with major life stress. I'd hate to gain my weight back when I'm 50 lbs to goal. It's gonna be a long road dealing with what I'm dealing with. So I gotta nip it in the bud with the eating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BariatricPal mobile app

So sorry for your child's hurt. Please seek therapy for the family.

This is going to sound a little odd, but when you relive it over and over in your mind and try to take blame you are just causing that pain to yourself. The original pain has already happened and you cannot change the incident; while it takes healing and dealing with that when you revisit it you yourself are continuing it. I know it is new information and takes time to absorb. Don't give it power by hurting yourself with food, then you become a victim and it wins again.

if you can't do therapy for whatever reason, go to the library and look up books by Byron Katie, one I found useful was 'Loving What Is'. There are others and other authors that help with trauma.

At your desk, bring snack bags of 20 almonds, a couple string cheese, and maybe a greek yogurt. I know you say you don't move around much at work, but I worked a desk job and I know you are allowed breaks - so especially at the break after lunch I insist you take it and you walk for 10 minutes, and don't eat lunch at your desk. You are actually more productive if you take those breaks.

You are already a success with your weight loss. Honor that now by continuing. Good luck.

Edited by Sosewsue61

The good news is you recognized your habit as being "old". So take solace in that. Ask yourself the simple question "would you have recognized that before the surgery?" I bet not.

I'm not a stress eater, so I can't speak to how to stop that, but with the sleeve, you have a good tool to try and mitigate that the possibility of your stress eating and remind you that you shouldn't.

The moment you feel full, that first moment. You know, that tightness, that uncomfortable feeling? Stop. Put it down and walk away -- that's the tool telling you, you've had enough.

The good news here is that 500 calories of Ritz crackers is no different than 500 calories of another food (within reason). Your body will burn off those calories and you shouldn't see any impact. However, as you know, do that daily... and you're back to where you were before the sleeve.

The prior commenter was right, keep healthy options around -- also Water. Feel hungry or stressed. Drink a bottle of water, then have a handful of walnuts, almonds, etc. That should take the urge and the need for eating away.

This tool only works if you know how to do use it. It's not a solution for obesity, it's just a great tool to help you.

Hope that helps.

Edited by BostonGary

I know you mentioned you haven't been working out or walking. I can only imagine that doing those activities are the last things on your to do list with the stress you are feeling. However, exercise can be one of the greatest stress relievers and also great reflection time. My suggestion, get a buddy to go walking with. You can take that time to talk about what's going on with you OR you can talk about something unrelated. Give yourself a break from this hurt mentally and make exercising an even healthier activity.

3 hours ago, sylvia2017 said:

I was sleeved 6/22/17. Recently I've had a major life changing event. Not in a good way. I wasn't aware that I was stress eating until I found myself googling how many calories are in a sleeve of Ritz crackers. I had polished off a sleeve a work on day. It was over a 10 hour span so I didn't realize I had ate the whole sleeve. (BTW it's over 500 calories ) I've lost 106 lbs but I've not lost 1 lb since this new stress has come to light. (One of my children was hurt years ago and I never knew ) all I'll say about the stresser. I've got to find a way to deal with this new info and not sabotage myself. My nerves,are shot and the first thing I turn to is my old friend food. I haven't been walking or working out. I have an office job so don't get a chance to move around a lot at work. And makes it easier to snack at my desk. I'm not gonna buy the crackers anymore. Has anybody got any ideas how to deal with major life stress. I'd hate to gain my weight back when I'm 50 lbs to goal. It's gonna be a long road dealing with what I'm dealing with. So I gotta nip it in the bud with the eating.

Even though we are not walking in your shoes right now, Know we care and wish you and your family the best.

I'm also a stress/emotional eater.

Like @Sosewsue61 suggested keep healthy Snacks on hand. Counseling is a great thing to help with life's stresses.

We can't avoid stresses in life. Find new coping skills to replace comfort eating.

Some thing to try:

Keep your home clear of unhealthy comfort foods. Ask family to hide the things that are tempting you until this passes.

Try activities for distraction from the temptation to eat., Leave the house take time for yourself. Being alone also may give you time to process thing in life.

Walking a mall or public place, or a gym (since it's winter). Exercise is going to help with weight loss and emotions. Anger can be a great motivator. Get aggressive and break a sweat in your workout. I use my music playlist for therapy. I find music that is positive. speaks to what you're dealing with, or aggressive to get your anger out.

You can also download self help books and listen to them as you walk.

I used this song to process my mother's death. May not be your taste in music. :D But be open to give it a try.

Go to the library to read. It's a quiet non food environment. Self help or something you enjoy for distraction- A book that can give you a laugh.

Book title to look up: The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition

A coffee shop by yourself. (choose healthy item to drin). Sit with your phone. Read and post on Bariatric pal. We are here for you. Google ted talks -titles that speak to what you are going through .Catch up on emails. Notice and enjoy your surroundings. Winter is coming, hopefully you can watch the snowfall and smile.

I hope this might help.

Even though we are not walking in your shoes right now, Know we care and wish you and your family the best.
I'm also a stress/emotional eater.
Like @Sosewsue61 suggested keep healthy Snacks on hand. Counseling is a great thing to help with life's stresses.
We can't avoid stresses in life. Find new coping skills to replace comfort eating.
Some thing to try:
Keep your home clear of unhealthy comfort foods. Ask family to hide the things that are tempting you until this passes.
Try activities for distraction from the temptation to eat., Leave the house take time for yourself. Being alone also may give you time to process thing in life.
Walking a mall or public place, or a gym (since it's winter). Exercise is going to help with weight loss and emotions. Anger can be a great motivator. Get aggressive and break a sweat in your workout. I use my music playlist for therapy. I find music that is positive. speaks to what you're dealing with, or aggressive to get your anger out.
You can also download self help books and listen to them as you walk.
I used this song to process my mother's death. May not be your taste in music. [emoji3] But be open to give it a try.
[/url] Go to the library to read. It's a quiet non food environment. Self help or something you enjoy for distraction- A book that can give you a laugh.
Book title to look up: The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition
A coffee shop by yourself. (choose healthy item to drin). Sit with your phone. Read and post on Bariatric pal. We are here for you. Google ted talks -titles that speak to what you are going through .Catch up on emails. Notice and enjoy your surroundings. Winter is coming, hopefully you can watch the snowfall and smile.
I hope this might help.

Thank you. I really thought I had a grip on the emotional eating. I don't stop my family from eating what they want. I even cook it for them. Hasn't bothered me. But this new thing has turned my world upside down. I was like a drug addict with the food at work. Eating anything I could put in my mouth. We had mini kit kat bars at work and I ate 2 of those. Had a sleeve of Ritz crackers. A bite off a dough nut. But didn't want lunch or anything healthy. I knew then the surgery was no quick fix. I've had stress since my surgery and overcame it. Guess this just rocked my world. Thank u for all the advise. I know I can power through. I gotta be strong not just for me but for my kid too.

I know you mentioned you haven't been working out or walking. I can only imagine that doing those activities are the last things on your to do list with the stress you are feeling. However, exercise can be one of the greatest stress relievers and also great reflection time. My suggestion, get a buddy to go walking with. You can take that time to talk about what's going on with you OR you can talk about something unrelated. Give yourself a break from this hurt mentally and make exercising an even healthier activity.

Thank you. I will try and get back on track. I gotta be strong for my kid too. I can't let this break either of us. I'm an all around emotional person. So I should have known I'd one day have to deal with the over eating due to stress. It was always there to comfort me. I'm gonna try and halt that way of 5hen king and push forward.

The good news is you recognized your habit as being "old". So take solace in that. Ask yourself the simple question "would you have recognized that before the surgery?" I bet not.
I'm not a stress eater, so I can't speak to how to stop that, but with the sleeve, you have a good tool to try and mitigate that the possibility of your stress eating and remind you that you shouldn't.
The moment you feel full, that first moment. You know, that tightness, that uncomfortable feeling? Stop. Put it down and walk away -- that's the tool telling you, you've had enough.
The good news here is that 500 calories of Ritz crackers is no different than 500 calories of another food (within reason). Your body will burn off those calories and you shouldn't see any impact. However, as you know, do that daily... and you're back to where you were before the sleeve.
The prior commenter was right, keep healthy options around -- also Water. Feel hungry or stressed. Drink a bottle of water, then have a handful of walnuts, almonds, etc. That should take the urge and the need for eating away.
This tool only works if you know how to do use it. It's not a solution for obesity, it's just a great tool to help you.
Hope that helps.

You are right. I over ate last night. I didn't want to eat supper and I hadn't ate since lunch. So I decided to warm up supper at 10 pm . Big mistake. It sirt on my stomach like a brick. Had the foamies. Finally just had to get rid of it. Would have been better to go to bed empty. I've had stresses before but this has been more than most could bare (without details). Imagine the worst and double that. I think I'm gonna take everyone's advise about food and delve into therapy. I can't risk going backwards. Thank you for your suggestions.

You absolutely need to be able to get this off your chest. A counselor is a great idea. See one by yourself first, and ask your counselor whether your child should come in with you, or have a counselor of his/her own.

{Hugs} You, and your family are going to be ok.

You absolutely need to be able to get this off your chest. A counselor is a great idea. See one by yourself first, and ask your counselor whether your child should come in with you, or have a counselor of his/her own.
{Hugs} You, and your family are going to be ok.

Yes my child is in therapy. So I'm making sure he is ok. Then I'm gonna work on me. This is,something that happened years ago and he just now found the courage to face it. Now I gotta be strong and face my demon which is my relationship with food. So I can be strong for my whole family.

The demon isn't food though, sweetie. The demon is the hurt your child experienced, and the hurt you are now experiencing because of it.

Write out a menu for the next few days, make a plan of what you are going to eat. Then stick to the plan. Once that plan is in place, then you can focus on finding another coping mechanism for the emotions. Moving your body really IS the best one for most of us. It allows that hurt and anger to be "worked off".

The more you think about food (even thinking about NOT eating)... the more you want to. Do what you can to put it out of your mind as much as possible.

You are a wonderful parent, and all of you are going to get past this.

Atta girl @sylvia2017 you can do this and we are here for you when you need us.