Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Describe your liquid diet?

Hiya I'm in Taiwan and my surgeon told me I didn't have to do a liquid diet before my surgery, just that I had to *somehow* loose weight to shrink my liver.

But it seems like pre surgery liquid diets are common in the states and elsewhere so I'm thinking of just doing it voluntarily. It can't hurt right?

Can anyone give me the details of your liquid diet "rules" and how it works, since my surgeon doesn't have a program for it and I'm kinda on my own?

Here is a pic of my pre op diet sheet. I had my pre op class today and mine is very strict about these rules. Unless it is a premixed Protein Shake, if I can’t see through it I can’t have it. Last week I started eating cabbage Soup to add Fiber to my diet, I cook it a long time to make it broth like but they said I cannot use it during my pre op diet or first 7 days of post op diet. My diet started last night at midnight.
IMG_3855.JPG

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]
HW 248 CW 241 Surgery Date: pending 11/21/2017. Goal weight 150’ish [emoji23]

Hiya I'm in Taiwan and my surgeon told me I didn't have to do a liquid diet before my surgery, just that I had to *somehow* loose weight to shrink my liver.
But it seems like pre surgery liquid diets are common in the states and elsewhere so I'm thinking of just doing it voluntarily. It can't hurt right?
Can anyone give me the details of your liquid diet "rules" and how it works, since my surgeon doesn't have a program for it and I'm kinda on my own?

Breakfast: 1 premix or powder Protein Shake. (Must have less than 2g of sugar per serving) muscle milk light is one I like, I think you can find it where you are.
Snack: 1/2 Protein shake
Lunch: full protein shake and 2cups vegetables (cooked or raw)
Snack: 1/2 protein shake
Dinner: full protein shake and 2cups vegetables
After dinner snack: can be 1/2 or full protein shake.

I have to also consume 64oz of liquids: Water, tea, coffee, Soup broth, sobe light, crystal light flavor in water, Vitamin 0 water. And you cannot cook vegetables in oil, only with cooking spray and any seasoning.
Or I cook with broth a lot to make different vegetable soup.

It’s helped a lot, but it isn’t easy. Good luck to you.

I have to also consume 64oz of liquids: Water, tea, coffee, Soup broth, sobe light, crystal light flavor in water, Vitamin 0 water. And you cannot cook vegetables in oil, only with cooking spray and any seasoning.
Or I cook with broth a lot to make different vegetable soup.

It’s helped a lot, but it isn’t easy. Good luck to you.

I wish mine would allow for veggies. I am fine without the rest but would love some cabbage or broccoli [emoji24]

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]

I wouldn't go whole hog on a liquid diet if you don't required to - they are unnecessary for the liver shrinking thing as you only need a low carb, calorie restricted diet get whatever benefit there is to obtain. The purely liquid aspect that some doctors impose is usually done to get their patients used to an overly long post-op liquid diet. The docs in a couple of practices that I have worked with specifically don't want their patients fasting for weeks before surgery, but want them as strong as possible going into the procedure.

These liquid pre-op diets appear to be more common than they really are through a concept known as "adverse selection" which is common to many internet forums. It is simply a skewed perception due to the fact that most of those who have something to complain about (like having to be on an unnecessary liquid diet) will complain online about it, while those who have nothing to complain about are pretty quiet. If one were to survey the general bariatric population, one would find a relative minority have to do a liquid pre-op diet, while most have some kind of calorie/carb restricted diet, or none at all.

Here is a pic of my pre op diet sheet. I had my pre op class today and mine is very strict about these rules. Unless it is a premixed Protein Shake, if I can’t see through it I can’t have it. Last week I started eating cabbage Soup to add fiber to my diet, I cook it a long time to make it broth like but they said I cannot use it during my pre op diet or first 7 days of post op diet. My diet started last night at midnight.
IMG_3855.JPG.cd1980f74023c64e811229a5787975d3.JPG

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]
@confusedturtle3- which Bon Secours location will you be having your surgery? I’m considering Port Jervis, NY

[mention=324381]confusedturtle3[/mention]- which Bon Secours location will you be having your surgery? I’m considering Port Jervis, NY

I will be having mine at DePaul in Norfolk Virginia [emoji4]

Have a great day!
Amanda [emoji16]

My nutritionist allowed me to add a 1/3 of a banana to my Protein Shake in the morning. I️ was allowed to have egg drop Soup - I️ had that for lunch and dinner and then another Protein shake during the day.

@rickM...spot on! I did not have to follow any presurgery diet. Yeah enlarged liver but he worked around it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

My diet was simple Protein Shake for breakfast and lunch and dinner was vegetables and a lean Protein chicken or fish or unlimited salad no cheese no bacon no croutons. And sugar free popsicle and I could have up to 4 Protein Shakes a day

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I lost over 10 lbs in 2 weeks. And I wasn't starving

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

PS: surgeons are not immune to general social biases re obesity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

My liquid diet for pre op was 2 Unjury protien shakes that had 1% milk and 2 unjury shakes that were with Water such as crystal light or there is a chicken flavor. Also sugar free yogurt and puddings and oatmeal in the morning. If I got all my Protein for the day I was able to eat certain raw veggies and use fage as a dip and use Mrs dash for seasoning . Hope this eas helpful

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon has me on 2 Protein (premier protein) shakes a day. No caffeine, no carbonated beverages, v8 is okay if 1 a day. 1 SMALL meal with 4oz. Lean protein and a vegetable each day. Timing of the meal is up to me, but I find lunch to work the best.

Been on this preop diet since Nov. 6th and have lost 12 pounds. Surgery is on Monday!![emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app