Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve: Daily Calorie Intake

I’m 27 days post-op from my sleeve and I’m currently on soft foods. I was just wonder if anyone has advice on what the average calorie intake is the first month or two. Right now I’m eating about 250-300 calories a day. I go to the gym every other day and I’m on light cardio (cycling, elliptical, treadmill) for the next few weeks and I burn about 200 calories there.

Should I be eating more or less calories a day? I feel fine and I’m down 34 pounds since October 3rd. Just wondering what everyone else is doing

I like to see everyone getting a minimum of 700 calories after the first month or so.

That would be 80g Protein, 33g fat, 20g net carbs. This still results in ketosis, but provides the minimum fatty and amino acids required. (I set protein a bit higher to offset the low carbs and fat. More calories (1000) allows less protein.. but never drop below 60g protein). A true ketogenic diet provides a lot more fat and calories than 700.

Personally I was over 800 at 4 weeks, and 1000 at 8 weeks (non-keto), but some people can't lose well on a thousand. 700-800 is a sweet spot for maximal losses while still hitting nutrient goals.

I was between 400-600 calories a day until i was about 6 months out and then slowly increased over time to about 1,000 calories at a year. I'm 14 months out and eating 1,000-1,200 daily depending on my workout and still losing.

My team's advice was not to eat what I worked out early on. I don't generally follow that completely now because if I fence for 2 hours, I'm going to burn 1000 calories fencing - so I will eat some extra on those days.

800-1000 depends on the day. I have a minimum of 64 gr of Protein to uphold. I usually get in about 80-100.

I’m a month post-op.

Under 600 for a few months. My team said I was doing great. I'm 4 month post I'm still under 800 sometimes still between 500-800 mixed with the odd higher day. weight loss is rapid. And bloods are good. So I'm happy. I'm not low carb either.

Edited by dreamingsmall

9 hours ago, KarenOR said:

I'm at about 1000 with a minimum of 80g being Protein.

How far out please?

4 hours ago, njgal said:

800-1000 depends on the day. I have a minimum of 64 gr of Protein to uphold. I usually get in about 80-100.

I’m a month post-op.

Male or female please? 1000 at a month .. I don't know how you manage that lol are you meant to increase the calories as you go or stay at a thousand till maintenance?

Granted I'm bypass, I'll be 8 months since surgery on Monday and I'm suppose to eat 1400-1500 kcal a day, and I'm managing 1200-1500 with 120-140g of Protein.

I was right around 600 calories and as much Protein as I could get after 1 month, increased to 800 calories/70-90 protein at 3 months, 1000 calories/ 90-100 protein at 6 months and 1200 at 9 months. I'm now 11 months and average between 1100-1400 calories a day and right around 70 grams of protein since my NUT told me to start backing off and adding a more vegetable based meal plan.

On 14/11/2017 at 1:56 AM, Rose400491 said:

I was just wonder if anyone has advice on what the average calorie intake is the first month or two. Right now I’m eating about 250-300 calories a day. I go to the gym every other day and I’m on light cardio (cycling, elliptical, treadmill) for the next few weeks and I burn about 200 calories there.

Impressive weight loss, @Rose400491 ...

I am stunned hat you can do gym on just 250-300 calories.

I do 90+ minutes swimming and 25-35 minutes of other exercise and I am consuming 1300-1550 calories daily.

Your 34 pounds well outdoes my 8.3kg [18 pounds] since my gastric sleeve five-and-a-half weeks ago.

Maybe you need to speak to a dietitian/nutritionist and/or an exercise physiologist rather than asking us well-meaning amateurs.

I've been around 900 cal since about 1 wk post op. 3 months out now, sx at 230, now at 188.

I'm at 800 Third week..... I don't know how accurate that is because of course I cannot eat a full or even half a serving size, but I try to divide it as best I can. I thought I was consuming too much. I am working out every morning 5 days a week 20 minutes cardio, 20 minutes strength and 20 minutes and.....I also try to take a 20-30 minute walk after lunch. I figure that's why I'm consuming a bit more than everyone else. I thought my sleeve wasn't working until I swallowed a Tylenol today...😔