Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to fall into a depression because I’m not losing weight. I️ had my surgery on 8/23/17 and now 2 1/5 months out and I’ve only lost 37 pounds. I️ started at 335 and now down to 298. I’ve been patient and everyone says “don’t compare yourself to everyone else.” But they don’t understand that people who were way smaller have ever lost more than me. I️ don’t eat a quarter of what I️ used to eat and I️ work out a few times a week. What can I️ do to lose weight? I’m so sick of being fat. My life has been ruined because of it. I’m starting to think there isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel.

So, I was told, to do a "jump-start". Which meant, starting the weightloss all over again. And taking it back to my pre-op diet. I lost over 20lbs when I did it pre-op. And, truthfully, I have been doing awful lately. (I gained about 20 lbs back). My starting weight was 324. Pre-Op weight 298, lowest weight 236, current 260. I have fluctuated in the past- I am an emotional eater. Which is why I am up now. I have gone through a pretty rough year. But, I am jump starting again. Maybe, give it a try.

The pre-op diet I did is attached. Don't get discouraged. We have all been there. Trust me, I could never get lower than 236. It's frustrating. But, you have to remember that you are beautiful. Regardless of how big or small your waist is. Be strong, and brave. And wake up everyday with a purpose. Don't let being over-weight ruin your life. Life is beautiful, and the curves and hills on the road, make it way more fun. :*

diet.jpg

Are you tracking your food in an app? - There several free ones for your phone/computer - Baritastic, Lose It, myfitnesspal, etc.

Are you getting the minimum grams of Protein and your Water? Post a typical day of what you consume. Up the protein to at least 80 and water to 100.

If you are meeting those goals, try changing up the type of foods you are eating. If you eat a lot of chicken, change to fish, add a different vegetable - try roasting some julienne parsnips in the oven with garlic and olive oil, add some good fats - like avocado to some tuna or chicken. Bake the fish on parchment with a little olive oil on it - coat with dijon mustard or a tablespoon of full fat mayo and some spices, don't overcook it. If you are at 600 calories or above - add 100 calories more for a few days, and then drop down 50 for a few days, switch it up.

Post your intake here.

For the person with emotional eating - do you have a support group or person? Come on here to vent before you eat? What are you feeling just before you take that bite - tired, anger, anxiety, bored, worry? Food just tempoarily numbs those feelings - get a notebook and write it out first - cry, get it out, punch a pillow, take a walk. Food won't fix the issues, take an action.

Let us know.

I agree with Sosewsue61. You should post your intake here so that we can get a look into a typical day or two of your diet. It helps to know what advice to offer to you. If you have lost 37 pounds in 2 1/2 months, how long has it been since you've lost anything? Are you currently in a stall, or are you losing a pound here or there?

If you are losing nothing at all, then you should re-evaluate what you are eating. You should be around a 1,000 calories per day with 80g of Protein per day. You should be getting in veggies every chance you get. If you are working out a couple days per week, then that's great.

If your eating is on point, and you are exercising, you will continue to lose weight. The speed at which you lose is not as important as the fact that you are losing. Comparing yourself to others is counter-productive. It isn't going to help you reach your goals. Be positive. You are doing well.

There are two phases to weight loss surgery. These are the Weight Loss phase and the Maintenance phase. They require different strategies. Weight loss is very dependent on the type of surgery you had. I had RNY and slid into the Maintenance phase at around 7 months. Weight loss was very quick and very rapid. Sleeve patients generally lose weight at a much slower pace and many do not slide into Maintenance until a couple years after surgery. So since it appears that you had sleeve, be a little careful comparing your weight loss with others who had different surgeries.

11 hours ago, taylorfulfer said:

Starting to fall into a depression because I’m not losing weight. I️ had my surgery on 8/23/17 and now 2 1/5 months out and I’ve only lost 37 pounds. I️ started at 335 and now down to 298. I’ve been patient and everyone says “don’t compare yourself to everyone else.” But they don’t understand that people who were way smaller have ever lost more than me. I️ don’t eat a quarter of what I️ used to eat and I️ work out a few times a week. What can I️ do to lose weight? I’m so sick of being fat. My life has been ruined because of it. I’m starting to think there isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel.

Ok. First ((hugs)).

Second. Let's have a reality lesson and do some math. If you are watching my 600lb Life, turn it the fuc* off! Seriously. Very few of us will lose 25-50lbs a month--even if you weigh over 300lbs. We just won't! There is no quick, overnight way (short of amputation), to get below 200lbs overnight. So settle back and establish your very own "best practices."

Third. 37lbs in 9 weeks is what you are describing to me. So let's take 37lbs and divide by 9. You are losing 4.11lbs/week. PLUS there is always a "3 week stall" post surgery that can come on any time between week 2 and week 6-8. It can last 1-2 weeks. My RD told me I will lose between 2-3lbs per week at the start. It will slow as I approach goal. She said, expecting anything more than that sets us up for disappointment, disillusionment, and dissatisfaction/depression. She told me to ALWAYS follow the rules for my food stage: water/hydration/vitamins as scheduled for each day; and low fat Protein first at every meal. If there is room, a bite or two of low carb veggies. If more room, then a bite or two of low carb fruit. Eat 3 meals and 2-3 scheduled Snacks a day until you can eat enough at each meal to only eat 3 meals without over-stuffing your new anatomy. No drinking with meals or for 45 minutes after meals.

Fourth. Track every bite lick and taste that goes down your piehole. Religiously weigh and measure and track!!! Don't cheat yourself. A bite eaten in the dark, standing up over your sink in the middle of the night STILL counts! :D

She promised me if I did that, I would lose the weight. But if you have any doubts, go see your PCP about a low thyroid and also have them test for your B1 levels. Many of us obese and WLS patients have low B1 and it makes all the difference!!!

I agree with what everyone else posted! I also switched up my work out. I found doing the same thing didn't really work well for me so I switched it up! good luck!

You've "only" lost 37lbs in 2 1/2 months?!?!?

That's almost half a pound a day!!!!!! You're doing great.

What you may be saying to yourself right now is: "but you don't understand! I lost 25 of those pounds during the first 2 weeks!"

The thing is, the body likes losing slow and steady. When you drop more than an average amount (say, 1-2lbs a week)... a LOT of your losses are Water. Water comes and goes, and can play havoc with the scale.

For example, let's say you DID see a 25 pound shift on the scale over the first 2 weeks. Sorry, it wasn't 25lbs of FAT. A good chunk of that was just water (probably 15-20 pounds of it). Over time, your body has cycled through water and fat, and by now, you probably HAVE lost about 37lbs of fat.

It looks like you are 11 weeks out. I had lost 36lbs during the first 11 weeks postop. (I started at 305lbs).

I'm now 8.5 months out and have lost 101lbs. You've just got to give it time. I figure it might take me another 8+ months to get to goal. But who cares? What else am I gonna do?

If you would like to friend me on Facebook Rachel Scholl. I was about the same weight as you and I will add you to my private page so you can see the graduation of my weight loss. It was not always quick. Even now at a year and three months out and still only 100 pounds down. Have not lost any weight in six months but I will never give up and I will never go bac

In a blink of an eye you will lose this weight. You are doing fine just keep doing what you are doing and it will come off. I sit back now and cannot even remember losing it. I do remember thinking it’s not coming off fast though in the beginning.

You’re right on target..the chart states between 35-55 by month 3 for a person in the 300-400 range and you are on the low end of that so should only expect to be on the low end of the results..good job

Welcome to frustration! I have been struggling with the same five pounds for about as many months. During this time, my body has made changes. Catching up to the lost fat! All the advice everyone has given is good advice. Just pick one thing and work on it. For me it is tracking. Best wishes and keep me updated. [emoji16]