Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just approved but not excited anymore

I was so opposed to having wls for many years until I became so hopeless and desperate enough to attend a seminar August 2017. The ball has kept rolling and before I know it, I have been approved by insurance and received a date. My family (mom and sis) are supportive but afraid and that is where I am today. I was not excited to hear that I received a date. Up until a few weeks ago, I had made a firm decision to have vsg surgery. I could not wait to hear the news I received yesterday. But after doing months of research, I am freaked out about the possibility of having vagus nerve problems after surgery. I have read a lot of positive experiences of this surgery but the negative ones stick out to me, because I feel like I am going to be one of those cases. I would hate to do something permanent and regret it later. I am at my highest weight and I have been blessed to not have diabetes. I do have controlled hbp but I have to do something. I've read many posts where others are encouraging people to have the surgery etc. But I'd like to hear from those rare people who were not excited about surgery, who were fearful they would be the exceptions but everything worked or didn't work out for them. Can I hear from you guys??? Thanks in advance

I'm about 5 months post op and down almost 60 lb. It's the best thing i ever did. I can actually run now that all that weight is gone and I love it! With in weeks I was taken off several of my meds.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I wrote a note to my kids incase I died in surgery. I cried before going in surgery. I was upset out of surgery worrying how the surgery would go.. oh. The surgery was over .. wasn't so bad. 4 months later I'd do it again. I was terrified.

I'm only three weeks post op and SOOOO glad I did this. Wish I had did it years ago. I’m already down about 20 pounds and just started my Soft and Moist foods this week and it's so much better. I'm only eating three times a day, but I'm not hungry and I'm not craving anything. I came out of surgery apparently laughing and making the nurses laugh. First couple of weeks were rough, but I'd do it all again. Hang in there.

I haven't had the surgery yet and I'm nervous as hell too. The reason being is the last big surgery i had (breast reduction) i was one of those rare cases....figures right? They hit an artery didn't know it until i was in recovery had to go back in to fix it. The doc said he hadn't had a case like mine in 30yrs. The recovery was longer but it was worth it to not have any more horrible back Pain. I don't regret it. It does make me nervous about this surgery but i focus on the positive because there will always be a million 'what if's' . you've got this! Congrats on your date and please keep us updated!!

I am so scared. I’m excited but scared. Does that make sense? The VGS is permanent. Aside from oral surgery, I’ve never been under the knife. Your post is everything I’m feeling. I’m the highest weight I have ever been (thanks to a high dose and long ween of steroids), I found out I am prediabetic at age 43, and I don’t enjoy doing anything anymore because my weight keeps me prisoner. It’s not easy to garden with my weight hurting my back. I feel you. I really do. I’m almost done with all of my prerequisites for surgery. I guess if we were not worried, we’re not human? Idk. But what scares me the most- what if I am the one where the surgery does not work?

17 hours ago, kittymommy said:

I am so scared. I’m excited but scared. Does that make sense? The VGS is permanent. Aside from oral surgery, I’ve never been under the knife. Your post is everything I’m feeling. I’m the highest weight I have ever been (thanks to a high dose and long ween of steroids), I found out I am prediabetic at age 43, and I don’t enjoy doing anything anymore because my weight keeps me prisoner. It’s not easy to garden with my weight hurting my back. I feel you. I really do. I’m almost done with all of my prerequisites for surgery. I guess if we were not worried, we’re not human? Idk. But what scares me the most- what if I am the one where the surgery does not work?

Your in Control of your self. Take responsibility and be sure to follow your plan.the rest will fall into place. :)