Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You’ve GOT to be kidding me?? Weight GAIN?

I’m doing everything right. I’ve not changed the way I️ve eaten (surgery 9/14) I️ mean the last month I’ve eaten and drank the same. Worked out 5x a week. I’ve been SLOWLY losing but this week I’ve gained 2.5 pounds?! I️ thought I️ was just stalked but no! It’s going backwards!!!! I️ want to cry. If I️ knew what to do different I️ would but I’m not messing up anywhere...

I’m doing everything right. I’ve not changed the way I️ve eaten (surgery 9/14) I️ mean the last month I’ve eaten and drank the same. Worked out 5x a week. I’ve been SLOWLY losing but this week I’ve gained 2.5 pounds?! I️ thought I️ was just stalked but no! It’s going backwards!!!! I️ want to cry. If I️ knew what to do different I️ would but I’m not messing up anywhere...[emoji17]

I️ can’t edit. Dunno why it’s doing “?”’s. That should be the letter “I️”.

It happens and is part of the process. I can weigh myself, go to the bathroom and be up half a pound. Don't worry about it, unless it's a trend. You can't lose every week. As much as we want to!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Our weight fluctuates from day to day depending on the time of day, time of the month etc. As long as you're doing everything right stay focused and don't worry about the scale that will all work itself out. I weighed myself weekly and I did this consistently for 14 months. I noticed one week I'd have a 1-2 lb loss another week .2 lb loss another week I'd be up 1.5 lbs then one week I'd lose 3.2 lbs. Watch your sodium intake as Water follows salt. Make sure you're drinking enough water, and make sure you are also measuring yourself. If you're working out consistently 5 days a week, then I wouldn't be surprised if that weight gain is muscle but maybe you've lost a few inches instead.

Let the scale be your guide to help you stay on track with your goals but dont' let it ruin your day. We've all been there. Keep up the good work!

Ok... I'm gonna try, I'm gonna ask my daughter to hide the scale from me too.. I'm really upset.. I was already stalled for a week, then it went the wrong direction.. This is harder than I thought.. Sometimes I feel like I am capable of eating more food than I could 2 weeks ago! I'm just scared, I see so many people fail, its scary.

Since my surgery date (9/25/17), I have had two stalls, both with my weight going up 2-3 lbs. But a week and a half later I was 5 lbs down. My weight app shows a drastic downward slope, but if you zoom in, you will see these two upward humps.

2 hours ago, Aginn10 said:

I’m doing everything right. I’ve not changed the way I️ve eaten (surgery 9/14) I️ mean the last month I’ve eaten and drank the same. Worked out 5x a week. I’ve been SLOWLY losing but this week I’ve gained 2.5 pounds?!

Perhaps you need to weigh yourself less frequently if a 2.5 pound gain induces that much anxiety.

You cannot expect to lose consistently each and every single week. Glycogenation is the prevailing reason for weight gain when you work out and eat minimal calories.

Working out enhances our muscles' energy storage capacity. Active people need more fuel, so active bodies adapt by increasing the capacity to store glycogen, leading to temporary Fluid gain.

So you lose fat, but the progress you make is masked by Water weight gain. You may have lost 2 pounds of fat the past week but gained a few pounds of glycogen or fluid in that time.

In sum, stay off the scale and allow your body to work through the changes it's experiencing. Measure your progress by the looseness of your clothing, not by some arbitrary scale number.

Perhaps you need to weigh yourself less frequently if a 2.5 pound gain induces that much anxiety.
You cannot expect to lose consistently each and every single week. Glycogenation is the prevailing reason for weight gain when you work out and eat minimal calories.
Working out enhances our muscles' energy storage capacity. Active people need more fuel, so active bodies adapt by increasing the capacity to store glycogen, leading to temporary Fluid gain.

So you lose fat, but the progress you make is masked by Water weight gain. You may have lost 2 pounds of fat the past week but gained a few pounds of glycogen or fluid in that time.

In sum, stay off the scale and allow your body to work through the changes it's experiencing. Measure your progress by the looseness of your clothing, not by some arbitrary scale number.

Ok. I️ agree to weigh less often. I️ told my daughter to hide the scale. Thanks for the info. I️ didn’t know about glycogen.

I gained 2lbs over the weekend. But I called down and just watched myself a little more and it came off and now my stall is over.