Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I’m just wondering if anyone has had the gastric sleeve surgery with a BMI of 30 I have a few health issues. Also does anyone know if a prolapse can be fixed at the same time as the gastric sleeve surgery.

Thanks heaps

i have been reading all the reviews and information and I think you are all very brave, I’m praying that they will approve my surgery I hope they don’t say no because my BMI is not high .

Edited by Shop Girl

Your questions on combined surgeries are for a surgeon or between two surgeons, we are not qualified to answer that. In a layman's opinion I would guess get the prolapse fixed, recovery and then wls, if indicated.

BMI 30 is very low and you will not find many people on here to respond, I have seen a few that qualify at 35 BMI with multiple health issues like diabetes, sleep apnea, or other chronic diseases. What are your other health issues, and is weight adding to them?

I'm in the same position low BMI 30-31 with weight increasing each year and medical problems increasing as well. I don't want to wait until it's out of control in 5-10 years. I want to be proactive. I know insurance won't pay so it will have to be self pay. I would prefer to stay in the US but would consider Mexico if I have to. Please keep me update what you find out. I have a consultation next week.

My bmi was 32 at surgery, 35 when I started the process. I've never heard of any insurance covering it with such a low bmi, unless you had a rare life threatening health problem. The good news is, self pay has a lot less hoops to jump through! Shop around! Locally, it costs $18,000, so costed with 5 surgeons all over. Ultimately went to Florida where it was $8999. I used my short term disability to take 4 weeks off to recover. Mexico is a great option if you get your Pcp on board for follow up. Lots of great info here! Best of luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello! I am visiting this board for the first time in quite a while, and I just came upon your post. I won't mince words or be apologetic for getting my surgery at such a "low" BMI (some can be judgy!). I was not quite a 30 bmi when I had my surgery (almost exactly 2 years ago). I had it done in Mexico. I had zero comorbidities. I got the surgery because I have always been very active, but struggled constantly with being overweight and binge eating. It cause a large amount of depression and anxiety. I was tired of dieting and not keeping it off. I was 37 years old with 3 young kids.

Getting the surgery was the very best thing I have ever done for myself! It is two years later and I have kept the weight off. I also don't believe people need to wait until they are super obese with failing health to get the surgery. I was only getting older, continuing to gain weight, and I wasn't going to wait any longer! Since the surgery I have become a black belt in Taekwondo, run more miles than I can count, changed my career, moved to a different state, and made lots of friends who like to be active too. The weight loss has helped me in these things by either just plain being physically smaller (exercise) or moving and making new friends and starting a new career (confidence).

I am a huge proponent of bariatric surgery, even at a "low" bmi. Good luck with your decision!