Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband - Moving on to solids

Hello all!

Looking for some advice of those who are quite far into their post op diet....

I am moving on to purée stage on Friday and am quite comfortable with what I will eat for those two weeks.

When I start stage 3 and resume a “normal” diet, I have read that those with a band should avoid smoothies, Soup etc as it will slip through the band and not provide the fullness that drier textured foods would. I am not a huge fan of Breakfast so was planning to have a smoothie made with some whey Protein Powder, fruit, yoghurt and I also like home made soup for lunch!

I understand the importance of staying away from high calorie, high fat “slippy” foods but I am really talking about healthy smoothies and vegetable home made soup!

Has anyone continued to eat these types of food with their band and still achieved a good weight loss?

Thanks 😊

Jen

You should be fine with that. I am not a lap-band patient, but us sleevers still deal with the slider issue. I have Protein smoothies all the time, and it holds me over pretty well. I would choose the lowest sugar Greek yogurt you can find. As far as fruit, maybe some raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and/or strawberries. I add 1/2 banana to mine along with about a 1/2 cup of frozen spinach. If you add all of these in frozen, they make a great milkshake type Protein Shake.

I have made 32 ounces at one time, and divided it into four 8 oz. servings. I then drank two each day. It really is more filling than regular Protein Shakes.

If you have access to seeds in Scotland, those are great as well. Chia, Hemp and Flax seeds add good fats and protein to your shakes as well.

Good luck!

Thank you!

That’s really helpful, it was exactly that type of smoothie I was planning to have for Breakfast so it’s good to hear that you have had no issues!
I suppose it will be a lot of trial and error over the coming months. Yeah we certainly do have all those seeds in the supermarket so I will have a look at those too

Thanks again

the reality is that with a band, it is unlikely you'll be able to eat anything other than an smoothie for breakfast or Soup for lunch. Once I had my fills I could only eat real food for dinner. One of the many downsides of the band. so I'd say if you arent doing simple carbs in your smoothie. go for it.

Sorry to hear in your experience you feel there are “many downsides” to the band.

I have just had mine and at this stage am optimistic about the future and how this will work for me.

Hopefully there will be others on here willing to share with me their positive experiences and results.

But hey thanks good to know smoothies and Soups will be a good choice in your opinion!

3 hours ago, jenhanna87 said:

Sorry to hear in your experience you feel there are “many downsides” to the band.

I have just had mine and at this stage am optimistic about the future and how this will work for me.

Hopefully there will be others on here willing to share with me their positive experiences and results.

But hey thanks good to know smoothies and Soups will be a good choice in your opinion!

best of luck to you.:)

Hi. I was wondering what your stats are before u had the band ? I used to love smoothies avacado bannana and some kind of berries. It's a mix and match situation to see what you like. I don't tend to have them now as I feel the calories soon adds up for me ( sleeve ) and I know if I was to eat it whole I wouldn't be Able to havr that much but every now and then I need a boost of like a kale juice with some sweet fruits in

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

On 11/9/2017 at 7:35 AM, DropWt4Life said:

You should be fine with that. I am not a lap-band patient, but us sleevers still deal with the slider issue. I have Protein smoothies all the time, and it holds me over pretty well. I would choose the lowest sugar Greek yogurt you can find. As far as fruit, maybe some raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and/or strawberries. I add 1/2 banana to mine along with about a 1/2 cup of frozen spinach. If you add all of these in frozen, they make a great milkshake type Protein Shake.

I have made 32 ounces at one time, and divided it into four 8 oz. servings. I then drank two each day. It really is more filling than regular Protein Shakes.

If you have access to seeds in Scotland, those are great as well. Chia, Hemp and Flax seeds add good fats and Protein to your shakes as well.

Good luck!

Hey hon, quick question please? I love this kind of protein smoothie. I'm having one for breakfast right now! So I don't do hemp or flax cuz of the phytoestrogens in them and hormone positive BC...but I do love chia seeds. How do you mix them into your smoothie and how long did you wait before you added them into your smoothie after surgery? Do the seeds give you any kind of problem? (I hate milling/grinding chia seeds and love the kinda agua fresca/bubble tea texture they add to things...)

Thanks! :780_sparkling_heart: