Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Menu Thread for the Wk 11.05.17-11.11.17

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Dayum! Aren't you afraid of gaining? My surgeon told me that I had to show a loss on the scale when I see her next. (I was up 4lbs this last visit.)

They did not tell me I needed to show a loss, and I have not had to do any sort of weight loss prior. My insurance doesn't require it. I have shown that I completely understand how to follow a healthy program, and I've done it in the past and been successful for decent periods of time. Nevertheless, I need to start being mindful pronto, for all the same reasons I'm doing the surgery in the first place!

@Subaru This is only me...but I would be terrified going into surgery without having prepared ahead. Knowing that I've already been through the Keto flu months before, knowing that I don't drink pop or caffeine, knowing I'm 99.9% off sugar, knowing I'm already eating a low carb, low sodium, low fat diet and doing just splendidly is reassuring.

I have a plan on how to put Protein meals together after surgery so that I don't feel overwhelmed. I have a plan for getting my liquids/water in after surgery. I know what schedule will work to get my Vitamins in each day and will purchase them soon.

That doesn't guarantee a smooth ride. I'm sure there will be a few curve balls to negotiate. Recovery from any surgery is tough and for me, prolonged (3-6months usually). So I'm praying this one will be quicker, but am mentally prepared for 6 months of "not so much fun." And because I've done the pre-work, I took the "overwhelmed" part out of the equation (I hope). :)

But, you know, I'm a What About Bob type of personality. So I have to break things down into baby steps in order to make myself do something or to get through it. :)

54 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

@Subaru This is only me...but I would be terrified going into surgery without having prepared ahead. Knowing that I've already been through the Keto flu months before, knowing that I don't drink pop or caffeine, knowing I'm 99.9% off sugar, knowing I'm already eating a low carb, low sodium, low fat diet and doing just splendidly is reassuring.

I have a plan on how to put Protein meals together after surgery so that I don't feel overwhelmed. I have a plan for getting my liquids/water in after surgery. I know what schedule will work to get my Vitamins in each day and will purchase them soon.

That doesn't guarantee a smooth ride. I'm sure there will be a few curve balls to negotiate. Recovery from any surgery is tough and for me, prolonged (3-6months usually). So I'm praying this one will be quicker, but am mentally prepared for 6 months of "not so much fun." And because I've done the pre-work, I took the "overwhelmed" part out of the equation (I hope). :)

But, you know, I'm a What About Bob type of personality. So I have to break things down into baby steps in order to make myself do something or to get through it. :)

I completely understand all of that!

I have been researching and planning and prepping. In terms of the active process of eating, drinking and taking Vitamins and supplements how I will after surgery, some of that I can only guess. I won't know how my body will react to Water, etc until I get there. So yes, I am trying to eat more slowly, smaller bites, and adjust how I get my water in (though the amount is not a challenge at all at present), but I'm not getting too far ahead of myself. For instance, I'm not purchasing vitamins and supplements at all, though I'm doing a lot of research. The reason? My program sends the hospital pharmacists up to the hospital room before I checkout with a big bag full of everything I need. The vitamins are done via prescription going forward at least for a period of time, so that I don't have to wonder if I'm buying the right stuff.

Honestly? I'm typically more like you. And I have been doing all of the research. But I am moving into a new life phase. Happily and by choice! But I need to wave goodbye to the old I guess.

@Subaru Yes. That makes perfect sense! And you=lucky about your vits!!! :D I think we all grieve in different ways. And this is a rebirth, but for many, it's also a grief for the old life. We're moving into a very big unknown. And I think we all have to do what we must to prepare as we can/able. :D

22 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Hahaha! Ask away! :D

Medium rare should be theoretically safe for "whole muscle" cuts, especially if you don't observe any cysts on the meat--which could be signs of worm or tuberculosis. I sear it on very high heat to brown all cut sides, then roast in the oven to finish it. So the cut sides are exposed for to about 750degrees for 2 minutes. This was loin shaped but "flatter" like a thick flat Iron, so I just did the 2 sides.

The other big thing for me, is that we live in Texas and there have been no reported cases of CJD in deer in Texas (or elk--which I think most are farm raised in Texas). But for elk in other states, or deer for that matter, it would be really important for me to know if you have that disease as well as tuberculosis in your state. That would determine how I would prepare the meat and to what degree of doneness.

I also know that no bones, brain, nor spinal tissue were exposed, cut or broken when butchering. We cut off the whole carcass, then trim into single muscles. I'd probably feel more concerned if it was or if we used a deer processor. I also know that the lungs looked clear and so did the tongue, eyes, coat (wasn't tick infested), and liver of this deer. So I don't have a whole lot of concern eating it medium rare. But I would not eat it rare. Between rare (cold center) and medium rare (warm center) is about 10-25 degrees of doneness difference--roughly. Don't know if that's enough from a biological standpoint, but it "calms" my nerves. LOL. I hate medium or beyond meat of any kind--especially game. It begins to taste like liver at that temperature! :( *blech*

Does that help? (I would not eat rare moose or elk in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, or Canada--maybe even Alaska? :D )

Thanks, I don't think I need to worry as we don't hunt etc and our BIL hasn't got an Elk in forever. I wonder if deer or elk would be easier on my stomach. I have a hard time with Beef now. My "PRISSY POUCH" pretty much decides what it wants and what it wants to get rid of. LOL

15 hours ago, shedo82773 said:

Thanks, I don't think I need to worry as we don't hunt etc and our BIL hasn't got an Elk in forever. I wonder if deer or elk would be easier on my stomach. I have a hard time with Beef now. My "PRISSY POUCH" pretty much decides what it wants and what it wants to get rid of. LOL

Gosh, I wish I could answer that for you!? Have you tried using a very slow simmer until it's fall apart tender? Then eating it with a tiny bit of the broth? Just until you can train your pouch to eat it again?

Also, some people lose the ability to digest red meat when they abstain from it for a long time. They actually lose the enzyme responsible. So maybe you could try taking an enzyme supplement when eating beef or other red meats?

Mindfulness Question: Do you put your fork down between bites?

I am only managing to do this about 50% of the time. We now eat dinner at the table every nite. After almost 20 years, I FINALLY find out that Mr. Fluffy actually prefers to eat at the table! Go figure?! Each day presents a new opportunity for improvement!

Monday Menu (11.27.17): Had PT today and as usual-I was a hungry hungry heffer afterward! I did manage to stave off temptation and cravings in return for a creamy and semi-decadent low carb version of a former high carb love. I used to love my mom's turkey tetrazzini she'd make with the TDay leftover turkey. So, instead, I used Lite Asiago Romano Alfredo by Classico and used shiritaki fettucini that I cut into long noodle lengths. I added a wad of fresh broccoli and super greens trio to make it "healthy" (um, and a busload of parmesan!

B: psylli iced coffee (4floz PP vanilla, 16floz decaff, 5g whole psyllium husks, vanilla stevia liquid)

MS: 28g hummus; 2oz baby carrots

L: 1/2 pepperoni veggie Lite Flatout pizza (1/2 Lite FO skin, 1/4oz red onion, 1/4oz rbp, 1oz mushrooms, 1oz BH pepperoni, 1oz part skim mozz, .8oz BH Munster, 1tbsp grated parm, 1/4c CM Marinara, red pepper flakes); salad (1oz baby spin, 1/4oz rbp, 1/4oz red onion, WF Italian)

AS: 1 mozz string cheese; 14g toasted almonds; 2oz GS apple; psylli tea

D: LO turkey tetrazzini (3oz turkey breast, 1pck Shirataki fettuccine, 120g Classico Lite Asiago Romano Alfredo, 5oz steamed broccoli, 1oz super greens trio, 1oz mushrooms, 1clove garlic, 1/4c grated parm); 1/8c LO WaWa's dressing

BS: 1oz frozen blackberries; 14g toasted almonds; 8g Lily's SF dark choco chips

Daily Totals: 1412 cals; 69g prot; 80g fat; 91g carbs; 36g fiber; 55g net carbs

I MUST get that mindful eating book!!

9 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Gosh, I wish I could answer that for you!? Have you tried using a very slow simmer until it's fall apart tender? Then eating it with a tiny bit of the broth? Just until you can train your pouch to eat it again?

Also, some people lose the ability to digest red meat when they abstain from it for a long time. They actually lose the enzyme responsible. So maybe you could try taking an enzyme supplement when eating beef or other red meats?

Thank you for your suggestions!!! I use Papaya Enzymes a lot. They help with gas and upset tummy. I have tried to eat a steak so many times and once and awhile I can eat a little, but I never know when PRISSY will act up!!

On 11/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, Berry78 said:

11/08/17 Extra hungry day

1 cup 1% cottage cheese

7oz fresh apple

1 egg

1/2 can Amy's black bean Soup

1oz sunflower seeds

1.5 cups coconut Water

1 can sardines

1 plantain

2 cups 1% milk

Vitamins

Total: 86g Protein and 1410cal.

I usually don't have the starchy veg and fruit, but yesterday was an exception.

I am not an expert,,but I see few canned items (processed food).why dont you try home made stuff? Should be lower in sodium and other bad stuff. Personally I rarely eat outside or canned items .. just a thought

Totally-tentative-doesn’t-really-count-kind-of-tentative date of Dec 28. [emoji4][emoji119]

On 11/28/2017 at 9:26 PM, Back2fit said:

I am not an expert,,but I see few canned items (processed food).why dont you try home made stuff? Should be lower in sodium and other bad stuff. Personally I rarely eat outside or canned items .. just a thought

I was curious, so checked the sodium. The day you quoted really was quite high at 2,680mg. The recommended daily limit is 2,300mg. But, my usual day has only 1,500mg, even with canned Beans or Soup. The difference was the 2nd portion of cottage cheese, full-sodium soup (I usually only buy low-sodium), and the sardines (my usual meat for the day is fresh, not canned. Occasionally there isn't any fresh meat in the house, so I have some canned fish for back-up).

So, thank you for pointing this out. As I get out further from surgery, my interest in cooking is returning a bit, and I'll see where I can make more fresh foods. Canned foods are super convenient when you can only eat 3-6oz of something.

What do your meals look like?

I was curious, so checked the sodium. The day you quoted really was quite high at 2,680mg. The recommended daily limit is 2,300mg. But, my usual day has only 1,500mg, even with canned Beans or Soup. The difference was the 2nd portion of cottage cheese, full-sodium soup (I usually only buy low-sodium), and the sardines (my usual meat for the day is fresh, not canned. Occasionally there isn't any fresh meat in the house, so I have some canned fish for back-up).
So, thank you for pointing this out. As I get out further from surgery, my interest in cooking is returning a bit, and I'll see where I can make more fresh foods. Canned foods are super convenient when you can only eat 3-6oz of something.
What do your meals look like?

[emoji12] home made stuff is better pal..

Hello all I’m new to this thread
I was sleeved on 10/11/2017. So far, I’m down 30 pounds. I find myself good always without any hunger if I eat the following:

B...1 egg 🥚 with 1 slice of turkey 🥓 1 1/2 oz. 6g protein

S...1 Premier Protein 30g Protein

L...1 oz of sliced turkey and 1 piece of string cheese. 12g protein

D....1oz chicken breast or leg 8g protein

NS....premier protein 30g

Approximately 85-90 grams of protein

How far out are you and do you not eat any veggies

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Ok, does anyone want me to start a December Menu Thread?