Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Menu Thread for the Wk 11.05.17-11.11.17

Hi everyone! This is our first thread for daily menus. I borrowed this concept from another support board and it's a very popular thread. I am hoping it may help us with accountability and also help other to help us when we may get stuck or have food issues to work through. To begin we will just do a weekly thread and anyone can join regardless of their surgery status or type of surgery. Just follow your own plan as given to you by your doc according to where you are in your journey. To participate, just hit reply and type in the day's menu. You may want to take part in the discussion that goes along with it.

Here's an interesting article in the Bariatric Times about Mindful Eating and Bariatric Patients.

For the next few weeks, I thought it would be fun to look into the concept of Mindfulness as it applies to bariatric patients! I don't know about you, but that's one of my top rules from my surgeon and nut. I must eat MINDFULLY. I can't eat in front of a tv, standing up at the counter, in front of the computer, while talking, etc. I have to be present and focused on the bite of food in my mouth. It's harder than it sounds! I've been practicing Mindful Eating since May and it has really helped me hone in on only eating set meals each day per my RD. Per the RD and surgeon, they want me eating 3 meals and 3 organized Snacks daily. Wow! That's a lot of eating, but it's on a set schedule and is helping me prepare for my post-RNY life.

Ok everyone! Let's get started. Please feel free to post your menu for each day. (Each day of menus will be a new reply to post entry for each of us.)

So here's the QOW (Question of the Week): Mindful Eating: Why do you eat?

Edited by FluffyChix

Pre-RNY (Daily goals: 1500cals; 74g protein; 60-100g carbs; 25+g Fiber

11.08.17-Why do I eat?

Today I am only eating in response to a meal time. Even if I'm not hungry, I'm supposed to eat at this point in time so that I get used to eating on a schedule to meet my nutritional needs. I'm very regimented right now. If it's 3pm, it's time for my snack! LOL. I also am having to take in a ridiculous (for me) amount of calories pre-surgery per my doctor. She wants me on 1500cals. I feel an incredible amount of guilt eating like this right now--when I'm not hungry. But the RD said that if I feel this way now with an unaltered anatomy, it will be 10x worse after surgery and she said once surgery happens, that eating on a schedule will be the only way to get in my Protein each day and my water/fluid each day. Ideally, the answer to "Why do I eat?" will be only, because I am hungry.

It used to be so different. I would eat from boredom, sadness, tiredness, anger, frustration, just because food was present or I saw a commercial on TV. It was crazy behavior and I had the ass to match it at 325lbs!

B: Blueberry cottage cheese yogurt and Fiber One

MS: Hummus and carrots

L: chocolate Peanut Butter banana and fiber protein smoothie

AS: Psylli iced tea; apple and peanut butter

D: Grilled chicken; avo and tomatoes, broccoli and KG butter

BS: SF Lily's dark choco chips and roasted almonds; strawberries

Daily Totals: 1284 cals; 80g protein; 67g fat; 94g carbs; 34g fiber; 60g net carbs

FluffyChix, I am using the workbook on mindful eating for people having bariatric surgery that was written by the doctor who wrote the Bariatric Times article you linked to above, Michelle May. I have been practicing mindful eating, focusing on eating when hungry and stopping when full (about a 5 or 6 on the hunger-fullness scale) for more than 2 months and have only twice eaten when not hungry in that span. I am also doing daily meditation and generally practicing self-kindness. All in all, it has been incredibly helpful. I feel well-nourished, I have been able to incorporate many of the habits I will need after I have RNY (not until spring), and I have lost 25 pounds. Loss is slow now after the initial loss when I started. Eating according to hunger and fullness generally has me eating between 1,400 and 1,800 calories a day, and I am fine with that.

My meals are pretty boring (I'm no cook), but I do track, and I'm happy to join in and get ideas from others. I hate vegetables passionately, so that will always been a downfall of my meals.

B: Premier Protein chocolate shake

L: tuna, string cheese, apple slices, Peanut Butter

D: Turkey meatballs, cottage cheese, grapes

SUN 5th Nov:

1) 140g blueberry yoghurt, cup of tea, mug of coffee (early)

2) 140g raspberry yoghurt; 70g chicken breast shredded (mid morning)

3) 70g chicken breast shredded; 140g strawberry yoghurt (1pm-2pm)

4) 140g blueberry yoghurt, two squares 95% cocoa chocolate (4pm-5pm)

5) 65g shredded tuna; 140g raspberry yoghurt (6pm-7pm)

6) 65g shredded tuna; 90g plain Greek yoghurt (8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1750mL

- - -

MON 6th Nov

1) Chocolate Protein Shake with raw egg plus three egg whites (early)

2) 140g raspberry yoghurt; 250mL mango juice (mid morning)

3) 80g chicken breast shredded with three egg whites (1pm-2pm)

4) 90g refried black Beans with raw egg and two egg whites (4pm-5pm)

5) 90g refried black beans with raw egg and two egg whites (6pm-7pm)

6) 140g blueberry yoghurt, 70g mashed green banana (8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1285mL

- - -

TUE 7th Nov:

2) Coffee-flavoured Protein shake with five egg whites (mid morning)

3) 140g strawberry yoghurt, mug skim milk cocoa, small mug coffee (1pm-2pm)

4) regular mug espresso coffee, 140g blueberry yoghurt (4pm-5pm)

5) 100g poached egg, 50g shredded bacon, pot peppermint tea (6pm-7pm)

6) Coffee-flavoured protein shake with four egg whites, 100mL almond milk (8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1655mL

- - -

WED 8th

1) 140g strawberry yoghurt, 500mL apple-pear juice (early)

2) almond milk and turmeric espresso coffee; 95g shredded salmon; 25g smooth Peanut Butter (mid morning)

3) 50g veal rissole with Tomato paste, mustard, curry & garlic (1pm-2pm)

4) 95g shredded salmon; 65g shredded chicken breast (4pm-5pm)

5) Coffee-flavoured protein shake with four egg whites, 100mL almond milk (6pm-7pm)

6) 15g salted mixed nuts; 325mL apple-pear juice(8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1900mL

12 hours ago, brightfaith said:

FluffyChix, I am using the workbook on mindful eating for people having bariatric surgery that was written by the doctor who wrote the Bariatric Times article you linked to above, Michelle May. I have been practicing mindful eating, focusing on eating when hungry and stopping when full (about a 5 or 6 on the hunger-fullness scale) for more than 2 months and have only twice eaten when not hungry in that span. I am also doing daily meditation and generally practicing self-kindness. All in all, it has been incredibly helpful. I feel well-nourished, I have been able to incorporate many of the habits I will need after I have RNY (not until spring), and I have lost 25 pounds. Loss is slow now after the initial loss when I started. Eating according to hunger and fullness generally has me eating between 1,400 and 1,800 calories a day, and I am fine with that.

My meals are pretty boring (I'm no cook), but I do track, and I'm happy to join in and get ideas from others. I hate vegetables passionately, so that will always been a downfall of my meals.

B: Premier Protein chocolate shake

L: tuna, string cheese, apple slices, Peanut Butter

D: Turkey meatballs, cottage cheese, grapes

That's wonderful!!!! Congrats to you @brightfaith!! I went back and caught the link for the workbook in case anyone wants to order it! Here's the Amazon link (I'm not affiliated with that link.)

I have to leave soon, so will have to come back later to post my menu for today. Have a great day everyone!

Edited by FluffyChix

@Rainbow_Warrior I can't tell if your egg whites are cooked or raw. Raw egg whites can lead to Biotin deficiency, and the Protein isn't as well absorbed as that in cooked egg whites. If you want to eat raw, consume the entire egg.

11/08/17 Extra hungry day

1 cup 1% cottage cheese

7oz fresh apple

1 egg

1/2 can Amy's black bean Soup

1oz sunflower seeds

1.5 cups coconut Water

1 can sardines

1 plantain

2 cups 1% milk

Vitamins

Total: 86g Protein and 1410cal.

I usually don't have the starchy veg and fruit, but yesterday was an exception.

I must admit that I don’t wait until hunger hits to eat. In the past, this normally meant just grabbing something that probably wouldn’t be the best or most healthy choice for me at the time. I tend to plan out my days in advance so that I know exactly what I am going to eat each day. I also meal prep so that my meals at work are take care of. Because I meal prep, I have lots of different foods to choose from for each dinner. Leftovers save me in the evenings for sure.

11/8 Meal Schedule…

Morning Coffee: 16 oz. Half Caff coffee w/2 Tbsp sugar free Italian Cream Creamer (50 cals, 1g Protein, 2g fat, 0g fiber, 2g net carbs)

Breakfast: Quaker Weight Control Cinnamon oatmeal - 1 packet (160 cals, 7g protein, 3g fat, 4g fiber, 23g net carbs)

AM Snack: 11 oz. Bananas and Cream Premier Protein shake (160 cals, 30g protein, 3g fat, 2g fiber, 3g net carbs)

Lunch: 6 oz. Spinach salad w/roasted zucchini squash, 2Tbsp parmesan cheese, and 1Tbsp Caesar Dressing (152 cals, 6g protein, 12g fat, 2g fiber, 5 net carbs)

Afternoon Snack: 4 oz. Trident Alaskan Salmon Patty wrapped in 2 romaine lettuce leaves (180 cals, 21g protein, 9g fat, 1g fiber, 3g net carbs)

Dinner: 6 oz. Veggie Taco Salad (spinach, Tomato, black Beans, cilantro, red onion, cheddar cheese, seasoned veggie crumbles, Mexican hot sauce) (230 cals, 17g protein, 12g fat, 7g fiber, 10g net carbs)

PM Snack: 1 oz. Raw Almonds (160 cals, 6g protein, 14g fat, 3g fiber, 3g net carbs)

Totals ( 1,092 cals, 88g protein, 55g fat, 19g fiber, 49g net carbs)

The message above duplicated. I could edit this one, but couldn't delete. Ignore it please.

4 hours ago, Berry78 said:

I can't tell if your egg whites are cooked or raw.

They go raw into Protein Shakes or as drink 'fillers'.

So today I had 1.5 oz of blended canned chicken instead of mayo I used a little wholly guacamole to mix it up then I had an over easy egg followed by a Protein Drink for dinner I will have another 1.5 oz of my chicken mix and then I will have another Protein drink what a day!!!

12 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

That's wonderful!!!! Congrats to you @brightfaith!! I went back and caught the link for the workbook in case anyone wants to order it! Here's the  Amazon link (I'm not affiliated with that link.)

I have to leave soon, so will have to come back later to post my menu for today. Have a great day everyone!

Thank you very much! I'm feeling much more hopeful about things, and it may be my imagination, but walking and going up steps seems just a tiny bit easier.

THURSDAY 9th

1) 140g blueberry yoghurt, 25g trail-mix (early)

2) Optiman Protein Shake plus 100mL skim milk and 100mL egg whites; espresso coffee (mid morning)

3) 120g shredded fat-free ham; 140g strawberry yoghurt (noon-1:30pm)

4) 95g shredded tuna; 65g shredded chicken breast; 140g blueberry yoghurt (3pm-4pm)

5) vanilla Protein shake with a raw egg & 100mL skim milk & fibre supplement (6pm-7pm)

6) 140g strawberry yoghurt (8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1600mL

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

Wow! Today is filled with really interesting and fairly SAD food choices. Had the surgeon's appointment this morning and it was a crap sandwich on a paper plate. :( My schedule was completely thrown off--up at 4:30am to get ready to go, back late this afternoon, now getting ready for a big weekend. My mood is totally tanked cuz of the DR. visit. I have a raging headache, no time to cook and nothing planned for tonight because the day was not supposed to Iron out this way. "Why am I eating today" is about hunger, comfort, emotional eating. By working through my emotions I was able to channel a dinner derailment via Wendy's to a much better choice of take out blackened fish, veg and salad.

11.09.17 Daily Food

Brunch-3 egg white veggie omelet (mushrooms, double spinach, 1/2oz swiss cheese, rbp, onion) + 2 pieces bacon + 1/4c cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, decaff coffee (black no creamer)

L-1.75oz GS apple, 14g walnuts, 1 string cheese (mozz)

AS-28g Sabra orig hummus, 1.5oz baby carrots, 1 HEB light cheese wedge (smoked gouda)

D-whew! My rational brain took control back from my lizard brain! New dinner. Still a huge dinner. Will use mindfulness to eat only until the hunger abates, but not stuffed.

9oz blackened pangasius fillet, broccoli in olive oil and garlic, 1 cup side salad (romaine, grape tomatoes, red onion, blue cheese dressing)

BS-8g Lily's SF dark choco chips, 8g toasted almonds

Daily Totals: 1501cals; 74g protein; 94g fat; 86g carbs; 17g fiber; 69g net carbs

Edited by FluffyChix

22 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

SUN 5th Nov:

2) 140g raspberry yoghurt; 70g chicken breast shredded (mid morning)

3) 70g chicken breast shredded; 140g strawberry yoghurt (1pm-2pm)

4) 140g blueberry yoghurt, two squares 95% cocoa chocolate (4pm-5pm)

5) 65g shredded tuna; 140g raspberry yoghurt (6pm-7pm)

6) 65g shredded tuna; 90g plain Greek yoghurt (8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1750mL

- - -

MON 6th Nov

1) chocolate Protein Shake with raw egg plus three egg whites (early)

2) 140g raspberry yoghurt; 250mL mango juice (mid morning)

3) 80g chicken breast shredded with three egg whites (1pm-2pm)

4) 90g refried black Beans with raw egg and two egg whites (4pm-5pm)

5) 90g refried black Beans with raw egg and two egg whites (6pm-7pm)

6) 140g blueberry yoghurt, 70g mashed green banana (8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1285mL

- - -

TUE 7th Nov:

2) Coffee-flavoured Protein shake with five egg whites (mid morning)

3) 140g strawberry yoghurt, mug skim milk cocoa, small mug coffee (1pm-2pm)

4) regular mug espresso coffee, 140g blueberry yoghurt (4pm-5pm)

5) 100g poached egg, 50g shredded bacon, pot peppermint tea (6pm-7pm)

6) Coffee-flavoured Protein Shake with four egg whites, 100mL almond milk (8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1655mL

- - -

WED 8th

1) 140g strawberry yoghurt, 500mL apple-pear juice (early)

2) almond milk and turmeric espresso coffee; 95g shredded salmon; 25g smooth Peanut Butter (mid morning)

3) 50g veal rissole with Tomato paste, mustard, curry & garlic (1pm-2pm)

4) 95g shredded salmon; 65g shredded chicken breast (4pm-5pm)

5) Coffee-flavoured Protein shake with four egg whites, 100mL almond milk (6pm-7pm)

6) 15g salted mixed nuts; 325mL apple-pear juice(8:30pm-9:30pm)

Water consumed throughout day = 1900mL

I notice that you drink coffee, I put unflavored GENEPRO, every day in my ESPRESSO. For me, it is a win-win because I would drink my ESPRESSO anyway.