Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Period questions

I’ve been using an app to track periods for the past few months. Everything was on track until this month when I started a week early. It’s been super heavy and this is gross but throwing huge clots. I’m trying to figure out if this is related to weight loss? I’m currently at the three month mark since surgery.

Prior to surgery I had an iud which fell out during preop phase and I didn’t bother to get another one or go on the pill. Not sexually active, I’m on a self imposed hiatus lol.

Anyone else experiencing heavy flow out of whack with your normal schedule? Trying to decide if I need to contact my gynie, my last pap was normal in July of this year.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The surgery does mess our cycles up. If your IUD was hormonal, then the loss of that can change things as well.

Just watch out for excessive bleeding, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

My gyno warned me about intense periods after weight loss surgery due to the release of hormones with the shrinking of fat cells. I was told that the intensity should taper off and if they were still bad after 6 months to call in to see her. My fortunately tapered and I haven't had a whole lot if issues since. The kicker is that you know your body better than anyone else and it never hurts to call if only to document it.

The surgery does mess our cycles up. If your IUD was hormonal, then the loss of that can change things as well.
Just watch out for excessive bleeding, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Thanks berry. My iud was Mirena but that was gone back in July. I’ve had normal periods since then up until this month. Just thought it was weird, I didn’t even start early on the month of surgery like people say happens to them. It has been pretty heavy. I’ll just keep an eye out.

My body has been very confused since surgery. I have skipped a month, and had heavier than normal and lighter than normal months. I think once my weight eventually stabilizes I'll be able to see what the new norm will be.

Mine is completely out of whack. Sometimes it lasts for a month (yes...a month!) and other times I miss a month or two. It's like my cycle went totally off the rails bat sh*t crazy after surgery.

1 minute ago, The New Kel said:

Mine is completely out of whack. Sometimes it lasts for a month (yes...a month!) and other times I miss a month or two. It's like my cycle went totally off the rails bat sh*t crazy after surgery.

Since you are over a year postop, you'll want to mention this to your doc (if you haven't already).

It is crazy isn’t it. Mine started a week early, I thought it was down then yesterday for like 3 hours was crazy heavy. After three hours later it was gone. Completely cleared up. Nothing since then.

And... it’s back. Maybe I should call my gynie tomorrow

Doc is suggesting a hysteroscopy. *sigh*

I guess they wanna be better safe than sorry...

Good luck!