Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my pre op diet was meant to start 6 days ago and the 5 days before today I have literally binge eaten everyday, I'm really struggling as I have quit smoking at the same time and I was just wondering if anyone else was struggling this badly. Because in the back of my mind I keep saying 'what's the difference' when i KNOW i need the diet to shrink my liver. Help!

I know ur feeling.... I am getting sleeved on Saturday. I haven’t all out binged. But I have been having a chicken breast and green salad with no dressing every night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my pre op diet was meant to start 6 days ago and the 5 days before today I have literally binge eaten everyday, I'm really struggling as I have quit smoking at the same time and I was just wondering if anyone else was struggling this badly. Because in the back of my mind I keep saying 'what's the difference' when i KNOW i need the diet to shrink my liver. Help!

It’s hard but you can do this. I’m on my 7th day pre op diet and I had a tablespoon of Peanut Butter. I couldn’t stop the craving. Tomorrow is a new day!

You are not alone...i started on 11/ 1 and was doing pretty good but 4 days later I had some fried chicken..then the next day a beef Pattie..then the next day chicken and fries yesterday ..some more fries ..I'm disgusted with my self but like the other poster said...today is a new day...I have 6 more days to go and I'm going to take it one day at a time ....

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

You are not alone...but you CAN DO IT! Remind yourself that if your liver is too big your surgeon won’t do the surgery. It’s that important. Why go through all this to end up not getting the surgery? YOU CAN DO THIS!!

How do they check your liver, I'm in the same boat, started this past Friday but I'll be done Monday and surgery on Tuesday, sucks cause my surgery is at 3pm in the afternoon, so an even longer waits

I have heard of surgeons going in and then aborting the procedure due to an enlarged liver....

Any good surgeon will abort a surgery if the liver has not shrunk enough. The surgeon won’t put his patients’ life in danger.

Agreed. I was actually told this by the bariatric nutritionist. “If they open you up and find your liver is too big because you didn’t follow the diet, they will close you right back up. And good luck getting insurance to pay for a second attempt.”

On 11/9/2017 at 11:29 PM, Rawlinos said:

How do they check your liver, I'm in the same boat, started this past Friday but I'll be done Monday and surgery on Tuesday, sucks cause my surgery is at 3pm in the afternoon, so an even longer waits

They look at it. They don't check it preoperatively or anything. They stick the trocars and camera in and see the liver as they start the surgery (along with everything else)

That said I've never heard of/seen a surgeon starting a case and aborting it because of the liver, and I've assisted with over 1000 cases. It's possible that because my facility doesn't do patients over 500 pounds, that that is reserved for patients north of 500 who may have extremely large livers. Or maybe for surgeons who aren't technically skilled and don't know how to retract a liver.

That said of course you should follow the diet properly. I mean if you can't follow directions for 1-2 weeks when motivation compliance and enthusiasm should be at its highest, what is going to make you think you could do it for the rest of your life.

Edited by Mhy12784

I so know the struggle. I am starting week 2 of the pre-op, and all i want is fried food. Doc said that is normal, have a small bit and get back on the wagon. I am a little over 200 lbs, and doing this for metabolic needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon insists you quit smoking 6 weeks before surgery, he is actually fond of saying he won't operate on a smoker - EVER no matter when they quit!!

You knew the rules when you signed up. It sucks, it sucks for all of us to do the liquid diet. Stop horsing around. It will prepare you for the mindset that food can't control your life, you have to do that. Keep your head up, go for a walk, read a book, don't watch tv with commercials, stay away from fast food - food is not going to disappear from your life, take a bath, etc.

Good luck. You are almost on the other side.

Ok, I am kind of freaking out after reading everyone's comments about the pre-op diet and liver size. I have not been told any specific diet to follow the two weeks leading up to surgery, just two days before eat light foods, the day before have a light Breakfast and then liquid diet until midnight and nothing after. I would be devastated if it got cancelled. My pre-op with surgeon is 11/17 and surgery is 11/22. So close!!