Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Removal or NOT???

I was successfully banded 5 years ago. Was 246 now hover around 195. Have not reached my goal of 155 but still 195 is better than 246 so there was some progress. But now I'm stuck not losing any weight. I got a fill a few times but it was unbearable I couldn't even swallow Water so now I have no fill, no restriction and my doctor does not want to try fill again because it was so painful for me last time.I try to watch what I eat but admit I don't exercise enough (A few times a week on my elliptical). Anyway I do get occasional acid reflux and have been on antacids but its not a BIG problem. Still my doctor suggests that I seriously consider band removal as I am young-ish (Under 50) with no high blood pressure or other health conditions. She said I would also be a good candidate for the Gastric BYpass. She said there is no real research on what happens if ppl keep the band in for decades and since I'm in relatively good health, have not been losing weight, and experience acid reflux, I should get it removed. But surgery is surgery (has its risks) plus some ppl on here have expressed it to be painful. But better now than never?? Would love some feedback on this! THanks!

Edited by everfeels9

Hi!!

I was banded in 2011. Went from 240 to179. In went back up to 240. Had similar problems as you regarding the fills and acid reflux. My doctor also suggested converting to bypass. I did that this June. This was my experience with the conversion.

Two days after surgery I wasn’t able to keep down liquids or soft food.

My follow up appointment was a week later where my doctor removed my drain. After that it went crazy!

I immediately felt extreme pain and was admitted into the hospital. The next day I had emergency surgery to fix the leak that caused the pain.

I woke up in the ICU with a stomach tube. there was so much scar tissue from the lap band that the leak couldn’t be fixed.

I went on to get an two infection that required drains.

I had two laparoscopic procedures in hopes of getting a stint. There was too much damage to place one.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks.

The leak healed on its own thanks to God. During that 2 months of healing I was being fed by the stomach tube. I wasn’t able to eat or drink orally for 2 months.

At this point I’m looking at getting a dilation because it’s difficult to eat and drink some liquids.

I’m weighing 166 from 240.

This ride continues and I hope the dilation ends it all with Gods help.

Think about this decision long and hard. Had I removed my band then waited a few months for the bypass I don’t think the outcome would be the same. However, God only knows.

Hope this helps you. Please send a message if you have more questions.

By the way I’m 47.

Thanks for your response!! I appreciate the insight. So sorry you had to suffer but sounds like you are thankfully on the med for good.

Interesting because my Dr said if I had removal I would have to wait for the bypass surgery. I was like --do it all at once!! I mean I 'm already sedated!!! But she does not so that she makes her patients wait and I guess its for the best so I can heal after band removal. I am thinking a lot about this and think I am going to have the band removed but not the other surgery. It just seems like too much. But I am afraid that without the band I will gain everything back and at my age my metabolism is a mess!! Anyway please feel better I will keep you posted on my progress probably have band removed at beginning of next year and then take it from there.

I had a band placed in 2010, went from 239 to around 185. A year after that my gallbladder had to be removed and my weight shot back up to 242. I couldn’t get back into the green zone no matter how many fills/unfills we tried. By 2017 I was getting stuck with Water. I couldn’t take it anymore and started my journey for a revision. I was 242 at my consult.

August 8, 2017 I was revised from band to SIPS/LOOP DS. All in one outpatient surgery. I’m three months out and went from 242 at my consult to 189 today. My only complication was an issue with my incisions taking longer than normal to heal.

Just wanted you to know that not everyone has bad experiences. The only negative I can come up with is that I wish I did this years ago instead of suffering with that torture band.

I had my Band January 2911. It turned out to be a nightmare and caused so many health problems. It caused extreme pain 4-5x a day to the point it kept me up mist nights and U was doubled up in pain. After several doctors in several years, my Gastro did an EGD, found many serious problems and suggested a Lapband revision by a Bariatric doctor. The revision to Bypass was done July 5 in one surgery. All went fine and I had minimal pain. Off meds in 2 days. I was just very tired the first month. My surgeon, on top of everything else, found my stomach in my upper chest from a hiatal hernia, loose port, and what gastro found.
No more pain or sleepless nights in pain or daily losing my food. The revision is the best surgery I ever had and wasn’t bad at all.
203 - weight at banding - 1/2011
170 - weight at revision - 7/5/2017
136 - current weight
Best of all, I feel great again!
Best wishes on whatever decision you make!

Oops! Lapband our 2011 not 2029! [emoji33]

I am currently in a very similar situation. My doctor however wants to convert mine to the sleeve. He said he can do that all at once while removing the band. He just recently took my Fluid out if my band. I can no longer feel like I'm in the green zone. It was either too tight and I was puking or I didn't feel like I had any restriction. I'm embarrassed and defeated. I started at 279 in 2013, got down to 189 and now I just creeping back up. I feel your pain. Ask about the sleeve instead of the bypass.. hope it works out for you.

Edited by unbroken40
Error

I've had a lap band for almost ten years, and I've been 20 pounds over my starting weight for years. I am scheduled for revision to bypass on 12/14/17. My surgeon says it all depends on what he finds in there. He's hoping to do both on the same day. If I have too much damage from the band, I will have to heal for three months and then go back for bypass. I can not wait to have my band out. It was the worst decision I ever made. It's been miserable and unsuccessful. I can't even eat scrambled eggs without getting them stuck. I paid $17,000 out of pocket for that band. Insurance is.
Covering this surgery.

I've had a lap band for almost ten years, and I've been 20 pounds over my starting weight for years. I am scheduled for revision to bypass on 12/14/17. My surgeon says it all depends on what he finds in there. He's hoping to do both on the same day. If I have too much damage from the band, I will have to heal for three months and then go back for bypass. I can not wait to have my band out. It was the worst decision I ever made. It's been miserable and unsuccessful. I can't even eat scrambled eggs without getting them stuck. I paid $17,000 out of pocket for that band. Insurance is.
Covering this surgery.

I had the same experiences - and price tag, out of pocket as you. My revision to RNY in July (one surgery) was the best decision. No regrets at all! Insurance also covered my surgery this time because it was an emergency situation. Best of luck. I’m sure you will be as happy as I am! Keep us updated.

I too had major issues with my band. I complained from day one that it didn't seem to work and later that it hurt. Most of the time they just advised it was fine, normal, but they did two UGI and still advised me it was fine. When they put in any fill I could not swallow and of course it never limited my eating. After ten years I finally changed medical plans and went to a new doctor. They found that the lap-band was placed way too high and if filled water/food stopped in my esophagus, and recommended fixing it. I asked to have it removed. After a few issues with not being able to throw up because of the band with a flu and food poisoning, I have had enough of this thing. So this week they removed it, also found it was not placed correctly, not stitched in, and parts had come off which caused hernias etc. Part of the implant was found laying on my liver. I am so thankful I kept pushing to find out what was wrong. Not all lap-bands have this issue obviously but the place I went to obviously was not a advocate for patients. Once I am healed I hope to have a bypass and finally obtain and practice what I have long awaited.

Love the new surgeon and have complete confidence in her skill. she recommended waiting at least a month before a secondary bypass surgery.

On 11/7/2017 at 3:15 PM, everfeels9 said:

I was successfully banded 5 years ago. Was 246 now hover around 195. Have not reached my goal of 155 but still 195 is better than 246 so there was some progress. But now I'm stuck not losing any weight. I got a fill a few times but it was unbearable I couldn't even swallow Water so now I have no fill, no restriction and my doctor does not want to try fill again because it was so painful for me last time.I try to watch what I eat but admit I don't exercise enough (A few times a week on my elliptical). Anyway I do get occasional acid reflux and have been on antacids but its not a BIG problem. Still my doctor suggests that I seriously consider band removal as I am young-ish (Under 50) with no high blood pressure or other health conditions. She said I would also be a good candidate for the Gastric BYpass. She said there is no real research on what happens if ppl keep the band in for decades and since I'm in relatively good health, have not been losing weight, and experience acid reflux, I should get it removed. But surgery is surgery (has its risks) plus some ppl on here have expressed it to be painful. But better now than never?? Would love some feedback on this! THanks!

You’re in Ny. Do yourself a favor and see Dr George Fielding at NYU. The best! If anyone can help you, it’s him. Trust me

It is a hard decision ,unless you are overrestricted and can't eat and drink enough.

I'm lucky to still have my band and no major issues at almost 11 years. I keep the fill low and don't argue with my band most of the times Maintaining 90 lb loss till last unfill. Now 80 lb loss. Sigh
I do worry when I read the boards about all of the complications though.

I am 10 years out and no problems, and I don't see anybody complaining about the after effects of RNY and the sleeve. My niece had the RNY about 15 years ago and from the restricted diet she was on permanently, her bones are so brittle that when she fell last year she broke her leg in 3 places because of lack of vital nutrients caused from the elimination of necessary Vitamins and minerals that you get from food in your body and not eliminated at a higher rate with the surgery. I hope to keep my band forever, but I am geting pretty sick of all the negativity of people not following the band rules and having problems because of it, so they need it removed.

No issues....unless i test "her".

All the problems i have ever experienced have been my own doing...not following the band rules...

I stick to a plan and workout every day...

Best of luck to you...its definitely not an easy road...