Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band to RNY, lots of questions from new guy

Hello everyone, first post here. I tend to type a lot, so I will try to be short. I'm 41 and I have had the band for almost 8 years. 293 surgery weight, got down to 220, back up to 290. I have had it unfilled for a long time. I am tired of the restriction (even unfilled) and it's not working with me so I want to get it out. I am thinking about the RNY but I have a lot of questions. I won't ask all of them now, but if there is a good FAQ or resource of common revision questions, I would be grateful for the link.

My lap band failed me because I failed it. That's the honest truth. I don't like timing when I drink, and I eat a lot of Pasta, so I drink as I eat. I'm positive I have a huge slip. I eat very little in the morning and lunch, and then eat a lot in the evening. I mean a lot, like as much as I did before the band. I'm willing to do the work - I know I need to change if I go with the RNY. I just need to know what to expect. I've been up and down a lot with weight since the 4th grade. 220 > 180 > 263 (Extreme exercising and dieting) > 163 > 293 (Lap band operation) > 220 > 290 (Now)

I have anxiety quite bad. I have panic attacks every once and a while, and I take Luvox and Lamictal to help me through it. I have been rushed to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack (That's the kind of panic attacks I have). I travel a lot for work, and I am involved in somewhat stressful situations while I work. When I'm working, I have to be "on it" and can't be sick (e.g. dumping syndrome) and sometimes I don't get enough time to eat a quality meal. Also, sometimes I work very long days...12-16 hours, once 30 hours. It isn't this way all the time, maybe twice per month, but I never know what kind of a cluster I'm walking into (I'm a IT consultant). I have to fly to these gigs, and even though I don't have a fear of flying, I have had a panic attack or two on the plane. I'm specifically worried about dumping syndrome while flying + panic attacks.

I'm curious if anyone out there has the same situation as far as anxiety and travel, and so on. If you do, how has the band > RNY worked out for you? I think this is the most important thing for me.

In regards to my many other questions, I'm going to do some searching on here to try and get a feeler for the answers. I meet with the Surgeon after Thanksgiving. I want to be better prepared than I am now.

Thanks for taking the time to read or comment on this.

Hello I'm also 41 lapband in 2009, RNY 9/18. I had my band removed in 2015 it damaged my esophagus. The RNY best the decision I have ever made 1 day in hospital and only 3 days of strong meds just at night. Dumbing the only time I felt it when I ate to fast. My suggestion is don't try need foods out make sure you eat it at home first this way if you dump your dumping will be in comfort of your home. Another suggestion is since you work a lot always have a Protein Shakes powder or liquid with you. I keep powder in my date at work, in my bag for work etc. I work 2 jobs so when I can't eat I'll make sure I do a shake. I found bypass recovery easier then the band was. I hope this helps I haven't experienced panic attack before so I really can't help with those questions. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, CyclicalLoser said:

Hello everyone, first post here. I tend to type a lot, so I will try to be short. I'm 41 and I have had the band for almost 8 years. 293 surgery weight, got down to 220, back up to 290. I have had it unfilled for a long time. I am tired of the restriction (even unfilled) and it's not working with me so I want to get it out. I am thinking about the RNY but I have a lot of questions. I won't ask all of them now, but if there is a good FAQ or resource of common revision questions, I would be grateful for the link.

My lap band failed me because I failed it. That's the honest truth. I don't like timing when I drink, and I eat a lot of Pasta, so I drink as I eat. I'm positive I have a huge slip. I eat very little in the morning and lunch, and then eat a lot in the evening. I mean a lot, like as much as I did before the band. I'm willing to do the work - I know I need to change if I go with the RNY. I just need to know what to expect. I've been up and down a lot with weight since the 4th grade. 220 > 180 > 263 (Extreme exercising and dieting) > 163 > 293 (Lap band operation) > 220 > 290 (Now)

I have anxiety quite bad. I have panic attacks every once and a while, and I take Luvox and Lamictal to help me through it. I have been rushed to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack (That's the kind of panic attacks I have). I travel a lot for work, and I am involved in somewhat stressful situations while I work. When I'm working, I have to be "on it" and can't be sick (e.g. dumping syndrome) and sometimes I don't get enough time to eat a quality meal. Also, sometimes I work very long days...12-16 hours, once 30 hours. It isn't this way all the time, maybe twice per month, but I never know what kind of a cluster I'm walking into (I'm a IT consultant). I have to fly to these gigs, and even though I don't have a fear of flying, I have had a panic attack or two on the plane. I'm specifically worried about dumping syndrome while flying + panic attacks.

I'm curious if anyone out there has the same situation as far as anxiety and travel, and so on. If you do, how has the band > RNY worked out for you? I think this is the most important thing for me.

In regards to my many other questions, I'm going to do some searching on here to try and get a feeler for the answers. I meet with the Surgeon after Thanksgiving. I want to be better prepared than I am now.

Thanks for taking the time to read or comment on this.

Good god! I remember those days in Information Technology. I worked for an airline, traveled constantly, and never knew what kind of cluster fsck I would run into. I do not miss those days. I burnt out on it! Information Technology is really stressful because you're only noticed when things go bad or you cannot fix a problem right away. The constant stress will definitely cause panic attacks and anxiety. I never had any aircraft delay that fell on my shoulders but I constantly worried because I could cause a delay that might mean someone dies because they don't get their organ transplant on time or some other critical matter. Best thing I ever did was completely walk away from it. Of course, all that stress took its toll on my body. I've got a lot of weight to lose.

So now, I am in training to work as an Armed Security Officer because my undergrad is in Criminal Justice and the unemployment office is paying for the certification. There is a shortage of people willing to work security so it's easy to find jobs and I will do a lot of walking .... a lot of walking! I will miss the bigger paychecks but I will not miss the stress that reaches mortal levels. Is there any way you can change careers? Believe me, your body will thank you. I am now just a Type 2 Diabetic with sleep Apnea and Morbid Obesity instead of being stressed out beyond reason. I would advise you to take a deep look at yourself and ask if sacrificing your health for your career is worth it. It certainly is not for me!

Thank you both for your reply. I suppose I watched too many you tube dumping episodes. BlackCatMatt, I think I probably made it sound a lot worse than it is. I actually love my job and welcome the challenges. It's only stressful because you do have other people who watch over your shoulder, but most people are pretty good about it -- they requested our help after all. The sometimes long days stink, but I almost always have the ability to push it an extra day and rearrange my travel.

I'm glad to know about the Protein Drinks being ok. I consumed them a lot at the beginning of the lap band, and I still have them for Breakfast and lunch.

Other than candy/pastries/cookies/cake, are there foods that can no longer be consumed? I realize that food is what got me to where I am today, but I don't want to be stuck eating toast (or some other bland food) forever.

Maybe the best question I should have asked is "What do you wish you would have known before you got the revision?"

Thanks again

Hi there.

Not quite the same but I have a pretty visible public job in a big city, often standing addressing large groups - certainly can’t afford to have that dumping either. I am booked to get rid of this bloody band in 5 weeks. I have tried, succeeded, failed, had a broken port replaced, shrunk, had reflux, suspected erosion, and now it seems the band has come unbuckled and is pressing on my diaphragm and I am growing once more.

So, I am converting to RNY. Yes, I know I might get dumping. But that will be in my control - I will quickly learn what I can eat safely, and what I cannot. My way of looking at it is - I need this operation to change the way I eat. It is either that, or be fat. I chose to change my food. And the RNY will remove the choice.

I have cheated my band with chocolate, etc - although not a lot, in truth. I know that is harder again with RNY and I really really hate being fat. Especially in an airplane!

Good luck working your way through the decision making process.....

I just had my band removed and converted to RNY on Monday. I’m at the point of recovery asking why I did this because I’m in a lot of pain. Everyone keeps telling me I’ll be happy in a few days to a week. I do have to say I haven’t felt hungry at all, so this is a big deal for me! I remember when I had the band put in and I felt hungry right away. I also failed my band and ate a lot of crap but decided I needed to make a change once and for all. I actually lost 21 lbs on the pre op diet they put you on for two weeks.

HW 367
SW 346
Revision from band to gastric bypass RNY on 11/6/17

I just had my band removed and converted to RNY on Monday. I’m at the point of recovery asking why I did this because I’m in a lot of pain. Everyone keeps telling me I’ll be happy in a few days to a week. I do have to say I haven’t felt hungry at all, so this is a big deal for me! I remember when I had the band put in and I felt hungry right away. I also failed my band and ate a lot of crap but decided I needed to make a change once and for all. I actually lost 21 lbs on the pre op diet they put you on for two weeks.

HW 367
SW 346
Revision from band to gastric bypass RNY on 11/6/17

U are going to be SOOOO happy to have that band out..in just a few short days. Don't worry. U made the right decision. Good luck to u on ur journey!

Hi all!! I got my band removed in August of this year. I too failed my band. I could never get that "full" feeling. And drinking while I eat....smh I just could master the band. I didn't really have any issues with the band UNTIL I was admitted into the hospital with chest pains and yes anxiety. After a two day stay in the hospital and no issues detected, the doctor releasing me said it could be digestive related. I was like....as in my band? He said oh...do you have the lap band...yes that could be it. Sure enough. My Bariatric surgeon said yes, if you would have called me I would have told you it was all band related. So here I am one week away from getting the Gastric sleeve. I am so excited!! I couldn't commit to the RNY, however the sleeve is step one of the RNY so if this has issues he can do the RNY with no problems. Maybe you want to start off with that? My concern with the RNY is not the dumping, its the malnutrition. But thats just me.....thought Id throw my two cents in to the ring.....good luck

3 minutes ago, Geri Marie said:

Hi all!! I got my band removed in August of this year. I too failed my band. I could never get that "full" feeling. And drinking while I eat....smh I just could master the band. I didn't really have any issues with the band UNTIL I was admitted into the hospital with chest pains and yes anxiety. After a two day stay in the hospital and no issues detected, the doctor releasing me said it could be digestive related. I was like....as in my band? He said oh...do you have the lap band...yes that could be it. Sure enough. My Bariatric surgeon said yes, if you would have called me I would have told you it was all band related. So here I am one week away from getting the Gastric sleeve. I am so excited!! I couldn't commit to the RNY, however the sleeve is step one of the RNY so if this has issues he can do the RNY with no problems. Maybe you want to start off with that? My concern with the RNY is not the dumping, its the malnutrition. But thats just me.....thought Id throw my two cents in to the ring.....good luck

I am going the RNY route because of the lap band horrors (I knew someone that became seriously ill as a result of it slipping) and that the average amount of weight loss is lower on the sleeve. My surgeon says that if I take the Vitamins and follow the recommended diet, I should not have a problem with malnutrition. Perhaps you would seriously consider going the RNY route. You don't want to have to go through three surgeries because you discover that the sleeve is not working as well as possible. I certainly don't want to put myself through that so RNY here we come!