Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pseudotumor cerebri, has anyone been approved for surgery for having this?

I'm currently at a BMI of 35.7 and I have pseudotumor cerebri which is believed to be highly affected by excess weight. Has anyone been able to get approval using this rare disease as a comorbidity? FYI I also have asthma, sleep apnea, swelling feet, and I'm on metoprolol for fast HR.

Welcome and bless your heart! Sorry you're dealing with so much!!! I've no experience to offer, only hugs.

Generally sleep apnea is considered a comorbidity. My insurance policy reads

Surgical treatment of obesity (bariatric surgery) is covered only if:
- eligible enrollee is 18 of age or over- clinical records support a body mass index of 40 or greater (or 35-40 when there is at least one co-morbidity related to obesity). Applicable co-morbid conditions include the following:
• T ype II diabetes mellitus (by American Diabetes Association diagnostic criteria).
• Refractory hypertension (defined as blood pressure of 140 mmHg systolic and or 90 mmHg diastolic) despite medical treatment with maximal dose of three antihypertensive medications.
• Refractory hyperlipidemia (acceptable levels of lipids unachievable with diet and maximum doses of lipid lowering medications).
• Obesity–induced cardiomyopathy.
• Clinically significant obstructive sleep apnea.
• Severe arthropathy of the spine and or weight bearing joints (when obesity prohibits appropriate surgical management of joint dysfunction treatable but for obesity).
- Documentation of failure to lower the body mass index within the last 12 months through a medically supervised program of diet and exercise of at least 6 months duration.

Hi there,

I also have IIH (pseudo tumor) and I'm having VSG as my mode of treatment instead of brain surgery (shunt) I however started with a BMI that qualified for surgery either way. I would suggest getting your neurologist on board and providing your insurance company with a statement. Hope that helps.

Peace and love

5 hours ago, Kary B said:

I'm currently at a BMI of 35.7 and I have pseudotumor cerebri which is believed to be highly affected by excess weight. Has anyone been able to get approval using this rare disease as a comorbidity? FYI I also have asthma, sleep apnea, swelling feet, and I'm on metoprolol for fast HR.

I have pseudotumor cerebri also. My BMI qualified me, but I would suggest having your neurologist write a letter of support so your surgeons office could submit that along with other qualifying documents.

Good luck!

Thank you all for responding to my question! Today is my first day on the forum. I am very nervous about not being able to get approval. I tried oral meds to control my pseudotumor but i discontinued treatment due to the severe side effects. I was also on a medically supervised diet but my Dr discontinued treatment due to my elevated HR. Hoping my medical records will be sufficient to cover the 6 month diet required by BCBS IL.

13 hours ago, Kary B said:

Thank you all for responding to my question! Today is my first day on the forum. I am very nervous about not being able to get approval. I tried oral meds to control my pseudotumor but i discontinued treatment due to the severe side effects. I was also on a medically supervised diet but my Dr discontinued treatment due to my elevated HR. Hoping my medical records will be sufficient to cover the 6 month diet required by BCBS IL.

I used to be on 250mg of Diamox 2x daily. The side effects were terrible- tingling in hands and feet, and extreeeeeeme fatigue. It was the only thing that helped my headaches though. I suffered through the side effects. I had a swollen optic nerve and the docs were fearful of blindness. I didn't have a choice but to take the meds, I did not want to go blind. Diamox is not an end all. I also have Hashimotos diseas and PCOS which makes losing weight at a snail's pace. I hope you can sort everything out and get approved.

On 11/6/2017 at 9:21 PM, Kary B said:

Hi,

How's it going? Any news on your approval?

@ Katy B, just wondering what the next developments in your story were.