Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puréed stage: Baby foods???

I’m currently on my puréed stage of my post-op diet.

I’m enjoying hummus and mushed avocado along with unsweetened apple sauce.

I was told to give baby food a try for more nutrients and flavors. So far I’ve bought (have not tried yet) apple and oats baby rice (apple sauce consistency) and those squeeze bags of fruits and vegetables mix.

Not really looking for anything savory but something yummy. What are some good recommendations?

13 minutes ago, Rose400491 said:

I was told to give baby food a try for more nutrients and flavors. So far I’ve bought (have not tried yet) apple and oats baby rice (apple sauce consistency) and those squeeze bags of fruits and vegetables mix.

Not really looking for anything savory but something yummy. What are some good recommendations?

Baby food for more nutrition? That's a new one .. Baby food doesn't meet an adults nutrients need my plan says. I bought it to try. Tasted like crap though. Baby rice ? I dont even eat rice now 4 months out. This early were is the nutrition in baby rice ?

I just pureed real food. Some veggies ( yuck) tuna mayo chicken mayo and so on.

Every plan is different but that would Not be a good worth while option for me in the puree stage.

17 minutes ago, Rose400491 said:

Baby food for more nutrition? That's a new one .. Baby food doesn't meet an adults nutrients need my plan says. I bought it to try. Tasted like crap though. Baby rice ? I dont even eat rice now 4 months out. This early were is the nutrition in baby rice ?

Every plan is different but that would Not be a good worth while option for me in the puree stage.

Not nutrition to meet full size adult needs but just a way to get in some extra fruits and veggies into your diet. What I️ bought was a baby rice cereal/oatmeal, almost like a cream of wheat. I was told by my nutritionist and dietitian that it’s okay to eat. It’s nothing compared to me eating a bowl of rice

6 hours ago, Rose400491 said:

Not nutrition to meet full size adult needs but just a way to get in some extra fruits and veggies into your diet. What I️ bought was a baby rice cereal/oatmeal, almost like a cream of wheat. I was told by my nutritionist and dietitian that it’s okay to eat. It’s nothing compared to me eating a bowl of rice

I didn't say a bowl of rice. But for MY stomach it would. As rice would expand in my stomach take to much space and make me bloated and nauseous. If it works for you fine.

Some of the meats I heard are much improved, if you add a little salt and garlic. I saw at Aldi's a blend of blueberries, spinach and something else in one of those squeeze things that looked interesting. As far as nutrition it would totally depend on the ingredients. But rice is a filler, go for squash or something along that line or why not try refried Beans?

I bought a couple to experiment with just in case I feel too tired after surgery to deal with blending things. I also have to watch eating dairy on days that I'm having asthma issues. So the nut told me I could thin down baby food to pourable/soup consistency and use it during my liquids phase (2-3 weeks post op). I was surprised at how little Protein was in 1 small 2oz jar of turkey (couldn't find chicken). I also bought a jar of butternut squash--very low in carbs compared to some of the others. I plan on making turkey gravy and turkey stock from the Thanksgiving turkey and will mix some of these into the stock/gravy to up the protein.

I've no idea how they taste, but 2oz of turkey baby food has 4g of protein...it was $0.98/jar. If it works and doesn't taste horrid, then hey, why not? I also want to try a chicken/butternut squash rosemary and thyme Soup.

I did peas in the steamable bags, and pureed them. I also ate cottage cheese, refried Beans, grits, Quaker weight control oatmeal, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

I was also drinking green Protein smoothies with a bit of fruit pureed in there. If you are feeling like something sweet, you could do that. Add half of a frozen banana, some frozen spinach, a scoop of protein powder or a Premier Protein shake, ice, and Water. You could even add in some frozen berries if you want,

This will take care of your fruit fix if you are craving it.

This stage doesn't last for very long, and some are allowed eggs during this phase. If you are allowed to have eggs, make them runny. I waited until the end of the pureed stage to have them.

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I bought a couple to experiment with just in case I feel too tired after surgery to deal with blending things. I also have to watch eating dairy on days that I'm having asthma issues. So the nut told me I could thin down baby food to pourable/soup consistency and use it during my liquids phase (2-3 weeks post op). I was surprised at how little Protein was in 1 small 2oz jar of turkey (couldn't find chicken). I also bought a jar of butternut squash--very low in carbs compared to some of the others. I plan on making turkey gravy and turkey stock from the Thanksgiving turkey and will mix some of these into the stock/gravy to up the Protein.

I've no idea how they taste, but 2oz of turkey baby food has 4g of protein...it was $0.98/jar. If it works and doesn't taste horrid, then hey, why not? I also want to try a chicken/butternut squash rosemary and thyme Soup.

Fluff, I made and processed Soups and veggies before my surgery. I then placed them in the freezer. You could do that. I actually had some roasted butternut squash in the freezer, but forgot to process it for my pureed phase. I ended up eating it in the soft food phase.

By my pureed stage, I was already back to work, and hitting the treadmill. I never felt too tired to blend things, but I sure didn't feel like cleaning up that food processor afterwards.

On second thought, maybe I should have tried the baby food as well. LOL

@DropWt4Life Thank you so much for this perspective!! Woot! :D I hope that's the case with me. The only thing I have to go by is my recon/cancer surgeries and I felt like poop for about 6 weeks. So I really am praying that I can bounce back like you guys! Thanks for the idea about doing that ahead. I did make the Bone Broth and have a bit of stew and chili put away already for mechanical soft phase. I also have deconstructed chicken pot pie that I can puree.

The nut was actually talking about the baby food purees for the liquid stage. That I can use them to replace Protein Drinks if I have a day where I'm not tolerating dairy. She just said to thin them down like a thick cream Soup. I was pretty excited by that!

I saw these cool little baby food freezer containers like a large ice cube tray, but silicone and holds 2.5oz. I'm thinking about ordering from Amazon Prime and making some of the purees now!

I bought some baby food in preparation for my surgery, but I never used it. My taste buds changed too much to use it. If you go this route, remember to look at the label and avoid baby food with added sugar. According to the internet "Of the 79 infant mixed grains and fruits, almost half, 41, contained one added sugar; 35 of these had 35 percent of their calories coming from sugar."

https://www.today.com/parents/packaged-food-babies-toddlers-loaded-sugar-salt-t14121

My surgeon/NUT were very clear that baby food does not provide adequate nutrition and to stick to pureed meat, cottage cheese, oatmeal, Protein Shakes, etc. I would direct this question to your own NUT or your primary care provider and make sure it is safe. Many of them are very high in sugar, as previously stated.

I tried baby food but I just couldn't get past the texture even the smell was too much for me. Good Luck It will get better for sure.