Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Curious .. can you handle bread, rice, pasta?

I know you should stay away from these no matter what, however I am curios to know if anyone can handle it? Or once you are sleeved is it a total no go for the new stomach. I'm just curious

I'm 2.5 years out and can tolerate bread, rice and Pasta wonderfully.

In fact, I can tolerate the aforementioned foods too wonderfully...in the context of being able to eat nearly unlimited quantities of bread, rice and pasta without ever feeling full.

Starches spell WEIGHT REGAIN for the majority of sleeve and bypass patients, so just because we can eat them doesn't necessarily mean we should.

Good luck to you. :)

I am 11 months post op with the sleeve and I can eat a little Pasta and rice but maybe few fork fulls and with bread maybe half of a bagel. Slowly introduce different food items and see how u feel

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Rice is especially bad for me. I had about 1/2 cup once, and the next day I had cravings I hadn't had since surgery. I really need to put that stuff into the "never eat again" category.

I have exchanged regular Pasta for bean noodles. Acceptable on my plan, and doesn't cause cravings.

I used to LOVE Ezekial bread, but I just tried it again for the first time, and it tasted like cardboard. A little sad, but probably no big loss.

I can tolerate a very small amount of all three. Rice & bread have a tendency to swell in your stomach, though, so eating a lot of them can make me sick; if I eat more than a tablespoon or two of rice I can feel it starting to rise up, and it's really unpleasant. A great way to control cravings.

I definitely eat all three now and then, but only as a "treat" and a special occasion thing. None really have Protein, so they don't have a lot of what I need to keep myself going. Focus on that protein first!

My program has no restrictions on bread, rice or Pasta. Bread does not go down well for me, so I avoid it, rice I have only had once, but I have a little bit (10-20g) of pasta now and then. I do however eat oatmeal every day.

I'm four years out. Rice is uncomfortable to the point of painful (at least it still was a year ago haven't tried it since). Pasta was fine the one time I tried it (at a friends house and she served ravioli so I politely ate a little). bread is fine if it's toasted. If not it sits like a doughy lump in my stomach.

I am 7 weeks out, and I can tolerate anything I eat. I don't really have room after Protein for bread, rice, or Pasta, though, so I don't really eat it much at all. I ate a small serving of pasta one night because my son wanted it for dinner, and it was fine.

10 hours ago, Meryline said:

My program has no restrictions on bread, rice or Pasta. bread does not go down well for me, so I avoid it, rice I have only had once, but I have a little bit (10-20g) of Pasta now and then. I do however eat oatmeal every day.

I too like oatmeal especially the steel cut oats, but read recently a recommendation to only have a couple of servings a week after WLS. I cook a quarter cup which cooks into a full cup with cinnamon, artificial sweetner and a little lowfat milk.

Edited by FishOn

I love oatmeal too but didn't eat it till I was at goal. I stir in a scoop of Protein Powder sometimes!

I have no issues tolerating rice, bread or Pasta but I tend to stay away from rice and pasta. I will have a bit of pasta on occasion but it's more of like a special treat (like a trip to my favorite local Italian Restaurant for raviolis) and Rice I rarely at prior to surgery.

Bread I eat frequently. I have found Pepperage Farms Very Thin bread and it's great. I can make a little sandwich or have some toast and doesn't make me feel guilty or uncomfortable.

Rice is the devil!!! One I eat it to fast and two it never sits well. It hurts so bad. I always say "I will never eat it again" but here I go eating it again. And now I know this is the second time and I promise never again. I feels likes it's coming back up and the shoulder pain is bad. Note to self: no carbs especially rice!!!'

I know you should stay away from these no matter what, however I am curios to know if anyone can handle it? Or once you are sleeved is it a total no go for the new stomach. I'm just curious

I was not told to stay away from any of these. Infact they are on my written plan in meal examples.

I can tolerate them..
But I don't like them now.

I may have a spoon of rice but I don't eat much of it.

Don't like Pasta anymore.

Bread. Hmm. Used to be what i ate alot. But now. I prefer like a Melba toast.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I had rny exactly 1 year ago today. I can tolerate all three. I just don't. I will eat oatmeal occasionally. I have no problem with it. The others I stay completely away from. I haven't had them since about January 2017. I'm afraid if I start I won't stop. So I don't even take that chance.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 178
GW below 200